Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Zero10
DME Serial Output

I am attempting to construct a program to interface with the DME to read the serial output. People have told me that the bosch tool will poll the DME to get all the sensor readings. Does anybody have some information about this? The way I understand it, on startup, the DME sends a 0xFF out on pin A of the diagnostic plug, and it expects a 0xFF back, or a 0xEE (I guess it accepts both? Or perhaps they enter different modes), but I don't know where to send the signal back? I can't imagine that the pin is bi-directional. Also, does anybody know, does the DME just start sending the sensor data? (not likely), or does the bosch tool poll the dme for the data it wants?
If anybody knows anything about this, it would be great to hear.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Welcome Zero..... nice to see an Albertan.

FRwilk maybe the guy you want to talk to...

What are you planning on making ? Do you just want to read the sensor outputs?
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 11-25-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have never spoken with FRwilk before, is he a regular poster here?
I am planning on making a serial cable, and a program to read the sensor outputs. Depending on what it will output will (possibly) change the purpose of my device, but it would primarily be a data logger, perhaps for recording data through a day at the track or some test runs. But it would also be for tuning, for people who haven't gone to a stand-alone system yet.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like a great project. Sorry i can't be of technical help, but possibly i could provide some financial incentive. Depending on what data you can extract, I'd be interested in buying a cable and software, sounds like a great diagnostic tool.

Mike
Old 11-25-2003, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Not sure if this would help but check out FR Wilk's special little bosche box:

http://www.frwilk.com/944dme/
Rear Hatch Pins, Oil Change, Dash Cover Installation, New Rear Seat, New O2 Sensor, New Ignition Switch, New Fuel Pump Relay, Rear Light Assembly Reseal, Instrument Panel Short Circuit, New Speedo Cable, New Timing belts and Starter.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ah yes, I remember reading that web page about 3 months ago, confused the hell out of me, now I realized, it's actually written in english!
It would appear there are not enough of us albertan's on this board, I guess we just don't have enough 944's in our province, oh well.
I am still working on the project, what I have learned so far, is this will involve adding a wire to the DME, to poll it for sensor data, this is what I was afraid of. Originally this was supposed to be a DIY job, but adding a wire to a DME, well that restricts the range of who this is available to. I have just gotten info on the data output format, and I will be speaking to the fellow I am informally working with, and let him know what I have learned. Hopefully I will have this up and running soon.
If there is any way around wiring into the DME I will do it.

Buy my parts!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: