Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
3 Somewhat Unrelated Questions

Hey all,

I am in the process of moving (my family and my 944S -- also part of the family) to the Fort Lauderdale area and have a couple of questions related to that and one old nagging question / problem that seems to have worsened in South Florida.

1. Anyone have any experience with and / or could recommend a good mechanic / shop down here?

2. Im moving from North Florida and on one of my many recent weekend 600 mile RT up and down the FL Turnpike, I lost one of the center caps from my slotted wheels (solid aluminum with the crest non painted). Where is the best place to find a replacement (internet)?

3. Im still having an intermittent starting problem, especially in this higher humidity. Car takes 4 10 cranks (fires dies) before starting then runs normally. It starts fine when the engine is hot. This has been going on for the 2+ years that Ive owned the car. Comes and goes. Seems to be related to humidity, but I could be nuts too!!

95 968 (My newest addition)\
87 944S
97 M3 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten)
81 Volvo DL (Gone and forgotten)
Old 06-22-2004, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Evan--
Might be able to help with #2. I'm not sure what you mean my 'slotted' wheels; I have several different types of center caps that fit phone dial/flat wheels and others for fuchs that might work, depending upon your wheels. Email or PM.

You can also post a WTB (want to buy) in the classifieds here for a single center cap or search on ebay - sometimes there are single caps for sale.

My '85 911 Targa ** Hand painted center caps for sale here
RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Or sometimes some of us have an array of center caps we'll give away for a very very low price. Take a picture of one of your other center caps, one of us should have a spare lying around

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 06-22-2004, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I always see them called slotted wheels, as if there's only one type. At any rate, they're the 928 wheels that were avalable as an option for the S, if thats any help.

87 944S
Old 06-22-2004, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Evan--
do they look like these?

RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 06-23-2004, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Steve,

Those be the ones!! Are you selling?

Evan

87 944S
Old 06-23-2004, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I found the picture on ebay - (no, its not mine).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7907203246&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT

I will check my inventory tonight and see what I have in flat caps.

RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check the couplings from the probes at the top of the clutch housing. Mine require cleaning every so often. There are two of them. One is rpm and the other is crank position.

There could be other reasons for your problem. But my occasional belching of black smoke after a cold start is caused by one of these couplings on my car at least. Don't know why. But when I clean them, it's happy for another couple of months. It is worse in the summer when the moisture level is higher.

Check and/or clean all your grounds. There are a bunch of them.

Also, has your battery box ever leaked water into the glovebox area below? The DME is down there. It has plug in connectors. It is under carpet on sloped part. You might take a look at them.

Then there is all the relays in the relay/fuze box. They can get crudded up too.

Just some things to look at....
1987 328GTS
2011 528i

Last edited by Lawrence Coppari; 06-23-2004 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Evan--
You have a PM

RIP Warren
PCA & Rennlist member
Old 06-24-2004, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: