Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Adios, perhaps

I'm getting far to old to put up with a cantankerous car like a 944.

Last month, due to the fact that I do not drive it all that much in the Summer, I installed a new 800 CCA battery and a Schumaker trickle charger to keep it topped off. Started it, ran like a champ, and shut it down and plugged it in.

Today, I took a break from some of the other projects I have been involved in and tried to start it. Oh, it cranks over like mad with the nice new big battery, but no start. Granted, it sat for five weeks but nothing mechanical or electrical changed in that time.

I tried the cheap and dirty, and have a spark. Ether will start it momentarily, so the timing is OK. And, the 19mm cap at the end of the fuel rail is on so tight I am afraid of breaking something.

I cannot hear a relay click like it does in my wife's Passat when I turn the key to the "on" position; I don't know if the fuel pump relay acts like that in the 944.

This car has had the best of care, no thanks to the local PCA, none of which seem to know which end of a screwdriver to use and for what. I dropped out of the local for that reason, most were more interested in racing and concours and had far more money than an old retiree.

I will go into the Pelican site and get out the photo of the relay board (can't find mine) and remove the fuel pump relay and check it. If that ain't it, I will check voltage at the pump itself. And, if that ain't it, I think I will just have it towed away and crushed into something a bit more compact and just as useful.

Sorry, for the rant folks...Just getting tired of the "get out and get under"..

And please do nottell me it is the "age of the car". I have had cars that were older and more reliable and easier to maintain, just not as handsome.

Thanks for "listening".
Old 07-16-2004, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fuel pump relay is second from left, on the top row.

Keep the faith, they can be very frusterating at times.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-16-2004, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Put a test light on #3 fuse on the aux fuse board. If the second set of contacts in the DME relay are closing when you are cranking it the light will come on. They will not come on with just the key on.

You can also run the fuel pump on the early 944's by jumpering between #2 and #3. With out the key on.
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys..

Will do.

After living out here for 3 years, I have just not baan able to reassembel a "support group" of guys like I had back east where we helped each other on projects. It is one drawback to relocating after retirement.

I will post after I try your suggstions, so please forgive the discouraged tone of my original post. It's just getting harder to keep up.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Never get me into a retirement community. Don't like them crotchity old farts!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 07-17-2004, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I may be visiting relatives in Tuscon soon..

If you decide to get rid of it ( please don't just have it crushed ), give us a crack at it.. I'll be looking for another early 944 very soon.
Current Stable 944 83 Kalahari Beige manual rack, short 5th gear951 86 Guards Red, pristine TurboYou must not anger the Porsche Gods - you MUST leave one small item unrepaired, lest the Stuttgartians smite thine car with bad Ju-Ju-AF Juvat
Old 07-17-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

If you do end up selling, please continue to hang out in the off-topic forum. I appreciate your wisdom.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

OK fellas...

As instructed, bridged upper fuses 2 and 3. Fuel pump comes on although it does not sound as strong as the one in the wife's Passat.

Removed DME relay. Two coils.

Coil with contacts 85b and 87 energized, ohmmeter shows 0 ohms between 87b and 30c

Coil with contacts 85 and 86 energized, ohmmeter shows 0 ohms between 87 and 30

Just like they should. Disassembled (removed cover) on relay, examined contacts with magnifier; little to no pitting. Put cover back.

What should I check next?

Sorry I did not get at this right away. It's been a bit warmish outside for the past two or three days.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
I am not sure what you are telling me (over my head) but did you try replacing the fuel pump relay?
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Gordon:

Not yet. What I was saying is from an electrical point of view, the relay does what it is designed to do. Diagram is on the side of the relay, and with a 12v bench power supply and an ojmmeter, it was easy to "test" the operation. What the DME relay is is actually two relays in the same container.

Where I go from here? I will be order ing a replacement DME relay which is a good idea anyway, and a new fuel filter, also a good idea. Once these are in place, if the problem still persists I will have to dig further into the system, but am hoping for some guidance as to what logical steps are next.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The speed and reference sensors - unplug them and plug them back in - sometimes they corrode a bit and will cause a no-start

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 07-20-2004, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

OK. Will do..They do scare me a bit since I have never removed one. I will look in the Haynes and assume they just unplug...

But the new relay and filter are both good ideas, I assume.

Question..I did check for spark with a series tester and then with ether. The tester showed a spark and the engine did fire with a whiff of starter fluid.

In the six years I have had the car, this is the first time I have had a starting problem. Last year I installed a new O2 sensor, redid the "barn door", reset the throttle switches and passed emissions with flying colors. THis problem came out of nowhere and that is what baffles me.

Thanks AF. You have been most kind.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: