Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Loser

Wink How do I convert my N/A to a Turbo?

Okay, before you take a nutty on me, I am just sharing a well-written thread from the 911 BBS by a guy who converted his 911 N/A to a turbo. He documented the whole thing, gives pictures, explains the pro's and con's of various approaches and generally provides an excellent primer on the topic for anyone interested in understanding the process.

Protomotive Stage ! Install (Part 1)

He ended up using a conversion "kit" from Protomotive in California. Note that they don't seem to have a 944/924 kit available. The $12k price was non-trivial but he clearly enjoys wrenching and took great pleasure in the project. All told, it is an excellent read.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Loser

HA !! Sorry, "take a nutty" is a local Boston way of saying "go crazy." So if I say "Don't take a nutty on me" I am saying "Don't go crazy on me." In this case I didn't want anyone to read the (admittedly provocative) title of the thread and start yelling at me to buy a 951 !!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jykk04
for me to poop on!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Use the search feature... it'll save you a lot of flaming

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-09-2004, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
All that work and you still have a 911 chassis. Yuck.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Burn the fire.

Garage
Should have put a 959 body kit on there... carbon fiber or aluminum. yum

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Dont listen to any of them Janus....I turboed my na just last week.

Took me all of about 5 minutes to instal a Turbo badge next to 944 in the back.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
don't take a nutty, it's wicked pissah!

NOOOOOOMAAAAAAH!!!!!
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 08-09-2004, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Haha, I'm a Boston native and recognized the expression immediately. In fact, I didn't realize it was so regional but thought about it - "hmmm. You know, I haven't heard anyone say that in a while. . ."

ANY car can be converted to forced induction if it's done correctly. It's just a question of time, money, resources, doing one's homework (research) and motivation. The "just get a 951" retort that's become so cliche here is really tired. The merit to it is that yes, you'll spend more when all is said and done but there are some good reasons to pursue it. First, you'll probably end up rebuilding the engine in the process just to bolster up the things that can "go" under the new power - head gaskets, pistons, rings, rod bearings, etc. Second, you know what you're getting. Third, you can spread out the cost and not have to eat it all at once. Fourth, you learn about the car. Fifth - you get the right to say "yes, I built that". I'm in the process of doing this now and it'll be immensely satisfying when it's all done just to be able to tell all those naysayers to go shove it up their patooties.

Best of luck to him. I hope it all comes out well!

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-10-2004, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

...puts most of our threads to shame.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
sell your car/ get a Turbo, then upgrade to a Turbo S.... then take a break from asking stupid questions before someone rips off your nutties and hangs from the rear view mirror of their N/A
Hope I've helped as always
Frank B
Old 08-10-2004, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
You're fat
Old 08-11-2004, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

HI gearhead. Long time no smell big guy
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

YO jigga frank, haven't had a good laugh from ya in a long time. Heh, I tend to come and go on occasion, moreso recently for some reason (I think it's cuz I've been having fun being the local *********.) I'll probably not drop by as often, I sold my poor car. I've got a Mazda MX6 now, bought it with a blown engine and trans and I'm gonna put a few man hours into her and hopefully end up with a reliable car. Seems like we've got a lot of newbies recently, a lot of simple questions that could be answered by using search or google, it's kinda sickening
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

I noticed that.. I've been away for a while also.. busy working on my leg and opening a bike shop here in S.E. Pa.
glad to hear from you though.. why don't you drop a brick on the accellerator of that Mazduh. and find a new P-car Hoopdy quick so you can spend more time in here. I'll be spending more time in here once I get the shop and running, I'll be able tro poke in and out during breaks at the shop..
Best,
Frank B
Old 08-13-2004, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Are you opening a bicycle shop or motorcycle shop Frank? Heh, I think I"m gonna keep the Mazda, it's actually a very nice car and I won't have to worry about my belts breaking But I will be buying a bike next summer (probably either an R1 or GSXR1000). AND a Nissan 240sx or RX7 as a track toy But don't worry, I'll probably drop by and read more once I get a better computer and cable internet. Afterall, I couldn't let the newbs post without giving them a link to search
Old 08-14-2004, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Bicycle shop Gearhead.. sorry I can't help you there...
Old 08-15-2004, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

c'mon frank, be a man, put an engine on it
Old 08-15-2004, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

hehehe.. I wish dude.. If I had a motorcycle I'd immediately sign up as an organ donor.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: