Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
my next round of problems.

well, here i go again! i installed a brand new radiator, just 5 short months ago, and its leaking already. this is #3, so far. i cant fathom out why they all seem to go bad? the mounts are perfect, all hoses are new, and the strange thing is that the temp gauge never goes anywhere near the top of the range. it always cycles between the midpoint line, and the one below it. i got home tonight{just}and was surprised that i could remove the rad cap, without hoseing myself down with boiling water??
#2. i seem to have a leak on the drivers side, that is allowing water to get into a couple of connector blocks under the dash! its very disconcerting, to turn off the engine, remove the key, and the engine is still running! also, all kinds of warning lights on. the foglights turn themselves on, and drain the battery. i have my ignition on all the time, complete with various warning lights. so i have had to disconnect the battery.
all this started when my pop up headlights went south. i installed a new switch, but after a vigorous car wash session, it all went south on me. i'm giving it a miss, and let the local garage sort out my electrical mess, but i'm still stumped by how this car goes thru rads?? tell me i'm missing something really simple, and its right under my nose!, please.
bob.

2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Ouch!

BTW, did you get the wiring diagrams I sent?

Make sure it is your radiator that is leaking, and not the drain plug (cracking\bad sealing ring), fan switch (bad sealing ring), or that little plastic nipple right above the thermoswitch. They don't come with new radiators, so you have to carry the old one over - a hairline crack can make quite a mess under pressure.

Do not over-torque anything that gets screwed into the radiator - just "snug" is enough. Otherwise you can strip the threads or crack the plastic.

For the leak: First, confirm that it is indeed a leak. Any signs of corrosion\dampnmess etc?

First thing I would replace is the electrical portion of your ignition switch.

Check your heater control valve - they can leak and cause electrical gremlins. Also, check the seals around the brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and the steering shaft - bad or damaged seal can let water into the passenger compartment there. There are also a few points on the upper cowl (right next to the blower fan) that are known points for water ingress.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 10-14-2004, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the rad cap may not be holding pressure.

i changed mine out with a new one and i can take the cap off without getting wet.

"may the force be with you"
Old 10-14-2004, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to bigyagi
thanks for the replys, and info guys! much appreciated.
AFJUVAT,yes, i did receive the diagrams, just had a prob with the computer, so big thanks. i suspect its the area around the wiper/blower fan, as its always damp, and the water only gets in at the one point. the passenger side is bone dry.
FRW. great info, so i live 1 mile from vw garage, and will get the switch! thanks again.
BEARONE2, yes, its a new rad cap. this is driving me crazy, as i'm on my 3rd radiator now, and if it is tits-up, then i have to suck it up, and get another one. hmm, i did notice over the last 4 weeks or so, that i had to top the bottle up just a little amount, each week, but after changing out my rad fans, and putting it all back, its letting go bigtime.
i'll take it out sunday, and get it tested. cant believe i may be ordering yet another rad!!
thanks, guys,
bob.

2002 grand am--better halfs ride.
olds 98 royal brougham--gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: