Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo Upgrade Questions

Most of my FI experience has been with the D-jet on my 914, where the general rule is don’t change anything. That being said I am totally clueless as to how my 951 will handle upgrades and what I have to do to tune it.

My 86 with 112k is blowing ALOT of oil out the tailpipe, Replaced the head at 106k and everything in the motor itself looked good so I suspect the oil is coming from the turbo. To fix this problem I have acquired a slightly used K26 "cheater turbo" as well as some chips that came off of the same car. I also plan on getting the Lindsey 3" system and dual port wastegate. So here are some questions I have about upgrading.

1. Can I just install the turbo, leaving everything else stock and run the car without any issues, will the system adjust or will it mess up my mixture?

2. Same for the chips, can I install with nothing else or will I run into problems? The person I got them from said he was running with the "cheater turbo" and a 3 bar regulator. The chips are Authority one is labeled "baker 2".

3. I assume when people are installing 3 bar regulators that they need to change the fuel maps (chips) to allow the car to run properly. Is this correct, or can this system handle this change by itself.

4. If I do need to make adjustments to dial the whole thing in what is involved in tuning these things?

5. Does anyone have more details on this ”cheater turbo” I was told it came from Technodyne, I believe it is supposed to spool as quick(quicker) and produce more power then a k26 #6 or #8.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fast924S
1. As long as you stay at around the stock boost levels I assume you would be able to run the different turbo with out chnaging the fuel system.

2. You need to get more info on the chips like what is required to run them ect. Most chips chang timming, A/F ratios and boost levels
So it may help with the new turbo and boost levels but I would get more info first.

3. Most off the time people change the fuel regulator to get more fuel into the system. On my 87 924S I have done this. You do not need to change the fuel maps but a 951 will be alot more sensitive to A/F ratios and a lean 951 is not good.

4. You need to get some More info on the Upgrades you have, check out the web sites and do some searches. Also you might want to get you self a A/F ratio gauge and a better boost gauge and a EGT gauge all thses will help you tune. One of the best ways to tune is to do a couple pulls on a DYNO that also reads a/f ratios this will give you a better idea of whats happening in your engine.

Also www.rennlist.com has a bunch of guys running crazy 951's ranging from 300-500hp try droping a post there too.

Drop the chip makers a E-mail about your questions http://www.autothority.com/

Goo luck with your project, got any pics??

Old 12-24-2004, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: