Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question about difference between engine

I think I may already know the answer to my question but I still have to ask to make sure.

Is there a difference between a 83 and 86 944 motor? If so whats the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Past:
89' 944 S2 Guards Red Now in the hands of a Pelican who has been wanting another p-car
Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

83 has forged pistons and a different DME. They'll swap in and out with the correct DME.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So what type of piston does the 86 have? Forged vs. cast? wich is better.
85 325e BMW T-boned R.I.P.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
83 Engine:

Bottom opening for the oil filler/breather is smaller -- the same size as the top.

Cam has less duration on the exhaust.

Gauge temp sender does not go through into the water jacket.

--------------------------------

Do you need an engine?
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowline
83 has forged pistons and a different DME. They'll swap in and out with the correct DME.
DME and related items are superfluous.

Pistons are much stronger than the later ones. The rods are forged/sintered.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Do you need an engine?
I have a 86' but saw a really good deal on a 83' complete motor. Was thinking to buy it dirt cheap and rebuild. THen swap and rebuild the 86's motor.

Kinda just to have a backup on hand that was fairly cheap. Hell, for that matter I'm still looking for a extra head to have laying around.

My car runs fine, but its my dailydriver and I tend to drive her hard. Especially in the hills and canyons, tend to take road trip just for fun on my days off.

Past:
89' 944 S2 Guards Red Now in the hands of a Pelican who has been wanting another p-car

Last edited by McFly944; 12-29-2005 at 09:51 PM..
Old 12-29-2005, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
If you buy it get the oil filler/breather with it. You will have to drill and tap a hole for the gauge temp sender.

Everything else will swap over. That is you don't use the early fuel rail, idle control valve, AFS, etc. Use those in the 86.

You will want to use the 86's oil pressure relief valve assembly.

I found and put an 86 engine in my 83. Had too as the 83 spun a bearing at almost 300,000 miles.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Cool, thanks for the info Hugh. I'm nearing the 300k mark also, and rather be safe then really sorry paying an arm and a leg becasue it has to be done.

Past:
Old 12-29-2005, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: