Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Block - what to do?

here's my spare engine block that i finally had a chance to take out of the box today, and sure enough what i was mostly afraid of became a reality - #4 cyl is scoured with one single line . I wanted to rebuild my spare engine, but now i don't know what to do - i really wasn't banking on having it re-bored.

'05 Jeep Liberty
'98 Acura Integra
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hey Dan,

Sorry I'm no expert on engine rebuilds. What is involved in having it re-bored? Expensive, time consuming? I think the expense probably comes in matching new cylinders to the new bore yes?

Good luck!
2015 Charger Rallye SXT
Old 01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Here is a short post to answer a few Qs. I hope your scratch is only barely fingernail felt.
Cylinder honing - regarding ccypher's post
What is the condition of the block in your car?
John_AZ
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Nobody Special

Then again if the scratch is barely perceptible there are countless people that have just re-ringed it knowing it isn't 100% perfect and drive it for years. It doesn't take much carbon to cause a scratch. I have a spare block with serious #3 scoring from a bad injector. I measured the bore and it is a candidate for resleeving only or possibly the maximum cut on a rebore. By the time you spend $500-$700 on quality Sunnen machine honing you still need oversize pistons that push you another $700-$900 in debt. IMO at that point you might as well go big with Darton's and at least get a performance upgrade in the process.

If this were your only engine and you needed to get back on the road I would say go for it. Being a spare block it might not be worth the effort just to have an extra motor.
87 - 944S - Another daily driver-SOLD
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: