Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

So you think 944's don't rust???

Well here's one that did. There are many other areas that i didn't take pictures of including the entire battery box rotted out, the left rear quarter, huge hole spanning from left front jack pad to the gas pedal. There was also a hole about 12" by 12" big under the rear left drivers seat rail. Some of you may remember my other post from last week with the updated pictures. Anyways the car took about 3 monthes to fix and is going for paint next weekend!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
What did someone do, drive it into a lake? That's a heck of a lot of rust
Old 07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

OH **** yea, Probably many many many years of driving in the winter salt. These pictures are only half of it. Whoever did that AND who ever bondo the crap outta of it should have the **** kicked out of them lol . It's wierd though, only the body went on the car, the structure part and frame is perfect. I have learned ALOT about body work, We've went through about 10 rolls of mig wire on this car welding panels and repairs. If this car was alive it would be buying me alot of beers for saving it from the wreckers. lol
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Trying to work for parts!

Send a message via Yahoo to hpservertech
So how about some after pictures before getting painted???????
Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

well i will take some this weekend. I here's some i took 2 weekends ago i think.

My car so far

You can see in the first one the rear drivers quarter hadn't been replaced yet. I welded in the rear quarters last weekend.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bholmes
I didn't study the pics...but the logic behind the structure being fine may follow as the parts that rusted may have been parts that had body work done to them or the surrounding area. THe rust preventative coating on the metal is a galvanized coating, which is a thin zinc coating that acts as a sacrificial metal and will delay the oxidization of the iron/steel of the body with the atmosphere. If you do body work, you need to clean up the area you're working on with a grinder, the zinc is quickly removed by a grinder leaving the steel body panels unprotected and susceptible to rust. That's atleast what I see on my car. I have a little surface rust in 1 or 2 spots due to this very thing.

'86 944 NA
'94 Jeep Cherokee 3" and 31's
'86 Chevy C10 425hp
'98 Dodge Neon (the wife)
Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

dang that's worse then my 914!!

IRR... What IRR!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yea it probably was the worst 944 around lol, but not now.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Right...the rust was caused by damage to the body and exposing the metal to the elements. The protective coating is no longer able to keep the body from rusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholmes View Post
I didn't study the pics...but the logic behind the structure being fine may follow as the parts that rusted may have been parts that had body work done to them or the surrounding area. THe rust preventative coating on the metal is a galvanized coating, which is a thin zinc coating that acts as a sacrificial metal and will delay the oxidization of the iron/steel of the body with the atmosphere. If you do body work, you need to clean up the area you're working on with a grinder, the zinc is quickly removed by a grinder leaving the steel body panels unprotected and susceptible to rust. That's atleast what I see on my car. I have a little surface rust in 1 or 2 spots due to this very thing.

1990-Porsche 944 S2 Project Hair Loss
2001-Saab 9-5 BSR Best car I have owned
2008-BMW 328i (Just another beamer)
Old 07-04-2008, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheEH! View Post
OH **** yea, Probably many many many years of driving in the winter salt. These pictures are only half of it. Whoever did that AND who ever bondo the crap outta of it should have the **** kicked out of them lol . It's wierd though, only the body went on the car, the structure part and frame is perfect. I have learned ALOT about body work, We've went through about 10 rolls of mig wire on this car welding panels and repairs. If this car was alive it would be buying me alot of beers for saving it from the wreckers. lol
Previous collision repair FTL. I would bet my lunch money...

Also looking at how bad the fender is, there's a good chance it's aftermarket.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yea it was a pretty shady car when i bought it.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Psh, that's nothing... Y'all should look at some old Datsun Z's some time, LOL!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Not on my DatsunZ

Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

yea thats got alot of rust on it lol

Heres some updates, this is before second primer coat last night, put the rocker guard on then primed over it.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: