Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I did a mistake (odometer issue..)

Hi there,
I tried to replace the faulty oil pressure gauge (I got a replacement from an old 944), but failed. After 10 minutes I decided the connectors look too fragile for me, so I decided to give up and let the expert do it (friday).

But as soon as I started the engine a surprise: the odometer dosn't work anymore.

I think working on the connector(s) I didn't push it back in the correct way.
Now my concern: to fix this is necessary just to connect it the properly way!??! or did Porsche integrated a sort of anti-sabotage device???

I know sounds dumb, but for my peace of mind reply me thanks!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
When you say the Odometer doesn't work do you mean that it does not register any new miles or? Or is it that the trip meter doesn't reset? OR?

More info needed...
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What works is: voltmeter and oil pressure (altough is fixed on 5 even when the car is off), and on the other side fuel level and temperature as well.

What doesn't work: speedometer, and fuel consumption reading. I don't know if the mileage counter is working because the car is in the garage...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Redline Racer

What year car is this? The pre 85.5 and post 85.5 are very different in this area.

Does the oil pressure guage return to 0 and otherwise operate normally when the key is turned back on and the car started? My oil pressure guage has done what you described a couple times randomly, but works fine. I have no idea why.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If the connection between the oil pressure guage and the sender is open, the guage will read full scale. Your oil pressure guage belongs on the "doesn't work" list.

To answer your question, no, there is no "anti tampering" device built into the odometer. Open the dash back up and check the electrical connection.
'84 944 Gemini Grey (gone, but missed...)
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDustR View Post
What year car is this? The pre 85.5 and post 85.5 are very different in this area.

Does the oil pressure guage return to 0 and otherwise operate normally when the key is turned back on and the car started? My oil pressure guage has done what you described a couple times randomly, but works fine. I have no idea why.
It's a 1986 car.
No it is stuck on 5. Sometimes during travel "dances" in a strange way, than goes back to 5. I think is a problem of gauge.

But that's not what concerns me. I mean, I checked right now the schemes, and probably I failed to connect in the right way the "PLUG B"....

About the mileage counter: where is connected?? I cannot find it on the scheme..
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hello indio76, The oil pressure reading needs to be fixed. The Oil Pressure Sender Part No. 928-606-203-04-M323, $34.50 each on here, is either bad or a wire has come off of it. Look up and behind the oil filter for its location. When you pulled the gage cluster trim off and removed the gage cluster you most likely did not reset the three connections properly. The Odometer Trip Reset Switch is located behind the gage cluster trim just where the vent opening starts. The Reset Button is in the first part of the vent to the right of the gage cluster opening.

Cheers,
Larry

Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: