Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
this is the new starter rebuilt by porsche .95160410200. i seen Model m198
all others are baank or turbo. M198 ? Manual?

And here is some pics of my Bell and gear and fly. I go to connect now . Notice the crack in center Might have been done during mod for something , Who knows? but the is also notch on starter .
Ill update later .

does the ring gear look ok?
The starter is made or rebuilt by duralast . But with Po0rshe original parts for this model only..others use aftermarket. or the chinesse stuff .i seee a bosch solenoid. Looking at the bendix i see it is different the previous 3.. other had various angles on one side of top each bendix gear . Ther these just angle and maybe wider gap.
i go now brb in 1 hour Does this starter will spin in the correct direction,? ccw?rccw?

Last edited by Brooklyn758; 02-19-2011 at 10:04 PM..
Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Garage Helper

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocacolakidd
Pictures are a little blurry, but the ring gear looks good without broken or missing teeth, and not worn down to the nubs.

That broken notch in the bell-housing is not good, but should not affect the use of the starter, unless it puts a a bind or angle on the starter motor when mounting...

The broken out notch in the bell-housing could be repaired with Propoxy 20 (powdered steel & high temp epoxy compound)...then grind or file flat to match original shape and contours...then it will be stronger than the aluminum housing itself.

Propoxy 20 ... by Hercules Chemical Co. (Hercules Chemical Company - Supplier of Top Quality Plumbing Products) Stock No. 25-515
Pedal to the metal till you see the gates of hell then brake
NLA - No longer available is a four letter word
Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
i notice im leaking everywhere, I need transmission gasket, i notice the banjos on power steering pump is leaking . . any stories about this. wet all around pump.. can i just tighten them?. or something about failing hoses
?
Will my car start on Monday?s
Did he get right starter ?
Did we solve the Modded damper?starter puzzle?
Same Batty channel .
Same batty time.:-)

is these cars is prone to breakdowns . Is it worth doing this seals and repairs? I had a -13 sec Rx7 . I drove every day . And not 1 time coldest winter hottest summer , Did she not start right up . Not 1 repair, only did work on her for more performance . ANd didnt cost nothing . the more things you take off the faster she went. . I miss my rotary . A 5 star for relibllty car . and it was a true 2 seater sports cap .
8,1 ratio turbo lingo . I m ignorant still in that field . i never thought about load on a starter be for this . Not for anything . I see that my tranny must be very low on oil . that ios probably why so sluggish at stop would that low level TMF effect the starter or acceleration so much.?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
i have not seen or heard myself . mechanic say "same noise,same problem"
but!! it did start for him to have moved it . h4e did it before i got to work on it and maybe shimmy it . its his shop he needed the lift . the car is from Jersey . Anyone knownthere to do the mod? or had one done?]
how can i find previous owner?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I also know the trans. fluid is leaking . is it possible to be o low that it is maing it harder on the starter and causing all this?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe you can make an audio recording of the starter noise with your cell phone and post it to the web? Hold the phone underneath the car while sitting in the drivers seat and cranking it.

Can someone suggest a way to upload the audio?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
i decided to go with 4 shocks all around .its pretty rough and i want to address that before it ruins or shakes apart the car . New york streets are car killers.
Also i still have the damper / starter problem . 3rd guy i tried . still cannot match up the modification . Friend of mine told me to call lindsay racing? they are familiar with modifications. '

i was going to paint and sell . but alll other maintenance was performed . Mechanic was impressed that everything is up to par . New timing belts , water pump, 4 calibers ball joints and tie rod ends were done . Along w with a lot of hoses .
i need the starter grinding problem fixed before i paint . . it had a clutch assembly put in place of damper . the ring gear and starter is mismatched . the 1st mech. didnt notice the difference ,and returned the old starte(to get core deposit back). when finished , he told me flywheel ,or ring gear no good. And didnt want the job . he does not know nor like to work on vw/audi/Porsche cars,, 2nd mechanic was a pre-madonna con-artist.and 3rf was a better one who actually attempted to going into o it deeper . but also failed . He changed 9 tooth bencix gear to 10 . 1 out of ten starts it would not grind . Maybe a eleven toothed bedix gear might work he said lamborginis have them . is that true???
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I dont have cell phone atm moment but i will try. Its sounds like a ice machine. ilike on a fridgerator ice dispensor. you hear it spinning the ice around and occasionly ice cubes pops and bears . or rubs. it did start couple time with out making noise . You cant see what is actually happening when cranking . im going to go back and ask him to count the teeth on flywheel. Where would a number be on the flywheel or pressure palte to identify the clutch assemble and hopefully ring gear. can a custom starter be made ? what measure meants are needed?. i seen racing starters . maybe 1 of those will work. . i will get number off bellhousing . i think the pre madonna Mech. got the wrong numbers. he gave this 944 116 401 2r
Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
damper , damper swap , modification , ring gear , starter