Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Price range right now I can't comments on that I would say probably anywhere from 1000-5000.Hard to say as I am not sure. Wether I will be looking at just late 944's or 951's.I like the 951 as well but they seem like a rare breed of cars this is why I'm considering picking up a regular 944 abd just dropping a audi motor in it.I have about 2 grand cash and I was considering selling my 2002 gsxr 600 however I haven't made up my mind yet as my wife enjoys taking rides on the bike but we will see.With that being said I'm currently without a car because my wife is driving my audi S4 and her sister is driving her car so I figured if I have to buy another car might as well be something I can have some fun with.If not now then maybe next year I will come across a nice 944 or 951 and pick it up.It all depends what's available.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I know there has been numerous threads on this also.But what about converting a 944N/a to Turbo??Are the engines that much different??I would assume lower comp ratio pistons,sodium filled valve,different dme and of course plumbing and such as well as different trans and clutch.But overall engine block itself and cylinder head are identical with the difference being internals??can anyone tell me if this is the case??
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom944 View Post
I know there has been numerous threads on this also.But what about converting a 944N/a to Turbo??Are the engines that much different??I would assume lower comp ratio pistons,sodium filled valve,different dme and of course plumbing and such as well as different trans and clutch.But overall engine block itself and cylinder head are identical with the difference being internals??can anyone tell me if this is the case??
Blocks, cranks, cam, and most of the head are identical. Key difference is pistons, connecting rods, sodium exhaust valves, ceramic liners in exhaust ports. All the manifolds/plumbing swap directly between engines.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Here is an add that Porsche published with all of the things they changed for the 944 turbo

http://944turbo.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/porsche_944_turbo_differences.jpg

One of the turbo guys will have to fill in on exactly how different these things are but that should about cover what was changed. Im sure you can fit the turbo charger its self right to an NA engine but as for the outcome of that I dont know what would happen.

Regards
Dave
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Good to Know!!I just might pick up a an 944 and a spare motor to turn into a turbo test mule with the right mods of course.But i guess well see.I have a short list put together as far as those things go.I did not know about the ceramic liners in the exhaust ports.I believe the cmahsaft is different also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
Blocks, cranks, cam, and most of the head are identical. Key difference is pistons, connecting rods, sodium exhaust valves, ceramic liners in exhaust ports. All the manifolds/plumbing swap directly between engines.

Last edited by Custom944; 10-22-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
AFM #725

Garage
You'd save yourself time and probably money just by getting the turbo to start with...

And Dave, awesome picture! Wish my 944 still looked like that
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Im going to bring some thing up here that may be a very unpopular thing to say but...

For the price of a decent turbo you may want to consider a 911SC. A decent order turbo will run you 9K-11K which is what a decent 911SC is going for these days. The cars are well matched for power and speed. I have owned both and I will say the 911SC is a great car. The 944 will give you a bit more comfort for long drives but the 911 is such a classic. A decent 74-77 Carrera can also be had for under 9K these days. People are afraid of the 2.7L engine but after a lot of reading its not as bad as it seams. They cars are equally as rewarding to work on and complex in there own ways. I know the prices I listed are a bit more than you said you are willing to spend but its some thing to consider, and dont forget 911 prices are on the rise.

Any way I totally agree that if you want to go turbo save your self the time and get a turbo to start out.

I also see you are going to use it as a DD. I have used a 944 as my DD since high school (924S in high school and 944 now) and it has never let me down. That being said nor has my 911 which sees as much use in all kinds of weather. So if you have any hesitation about using theses cars every day forget it, they are great,

Another thing to consider if you want to keep it really cheap is a 914. Not as fast but they can be had for cheap if they are in need of restoration. Could be a fun project they look like interesting cars.

Just some food for thought...

Regards
Dave
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Yes I know the brutal reality is that my best bet is to buy a 951 and be done with,swapping parts and so on.Not to take away from the 944 or porsche and the awesome they produce.I believe that wether I will be buying a 944 or 951 it will end up being modified engine wise,transmission,rear end and so on.Hence why I am considering picking up something cheaper seeing as it will be modified either way.This is why I was considering this option or purchasing a spare 944NA motor and making the necessary changes and so on.

I believe that with deck cooling the NA block,copper head spacer to drop the comp ratio and coating the pistons with some of swain tech coatings,some beefy rods,add in some necessary valve train bits,and some calico coated bearings for rods and journals could be a worthy motor that should support some good numbers.Now thats just engine work on top of that a custom equal length exhaust manifold flanged for a decent size turbo the right clutch and gearbox and It could show promise regarding what these engines can do.

Thats just the engine portion of it of course brakes,rotors,calipers,master cylinder and so on will need to be upgraded as well.More than likely a rear end also apart from suspension component also.Maybe Its just me but if everything will be changed or upgraded maybe a regualr 944 isnt a bad option.Anyone know what is the main difference between the DME's??I know the DME from the 951 has a KLR thats build into it and the 944NA does not.Apart from that is there any other differences??

Yes the 911 has that classic shape and is a very nice car.I do agree.I on the other hand would like to build a 944 or 951 simply because I like the shape and lines of the 944 and the fact that these cars are and were under rated as performers in general.However who knows there might be a 911 in the future for me.

Last edited by Custom944; 10-23-2012 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Also just wondering. does the 944 and the 951 have the same fenders and quarter panels or are the 951 wider??
Old 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
A friend of mine has an 86 951 that runs and can be a daily driver for $4,500. It needs the standard service on it, belts and so on. It would be a great project for someone with the skills.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
NAs and Turbos are the same width. The only difference is in the front fenders.... a slightly different cutout on the front to accommodate the different bumper.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: