Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Carputer - Car Computer - Input Please

I have been toying with the idea about Carputers for a couple years now. I really wanted to put one in my wifes BMW X5. Now seeing that a similar idea is being developed for the later 928's and integrating the HVAC Controls kinda got me motivated to resurect my Project.

To get my Disclaimer out there. "I am not trying to compete with anyone." Cool, now on to the Project at hand.

After some research of my own and taking into consideration of some of the R&D being performed, and taking some of my lengthy experience as a Network Engineer. I have decided to go in a different direction.

The Carputer I designed for my Wifes X5 is external and not mounted behind the Console or Dash. I decided to use a Case which is the same size of a Medium size Amplifier. I thought that this would make this more portable and if you decided on a different model car, you could just transfer it very easily. Also, heat is not an issue since it's not behind anything. The new Intel Atom Processors are also very very cool and efficient for this application.

The Base Model will come with a Complete Carputer (Case, Intel Atom Processor, Solid State Hard Drive, 2 GB's RAM, Wireless "B & G," Bluetooth, Licensed Windows 7 OS and the Centrafuse Application (Original CD's and Keys given).

7" Touchscreens are around $150 and up.

Options a huge! I added a High Definition Radio module (no subscrition costs) for about $100 and a Backup Camera for another $100 for my wifes X5. Throw it in Reverse and the Backup Camera is shown on the Touchscreen.

Other Options: XM, GPS, etc etc.

I will also be developing a similar idea as Hans Development, but for our early cars that can't use the HVAC Carputer option. This is coming soon as time permits. I have a friend that can do ABS Plastic Fabrication as to make it look as stock as possible, while keeping the costs to a minimum. Keeping it Black and not looking to put any Leather Options on it are my thoughts, but looking for input too.

Here are some pics of what I did with my wife's X5 using the Amplifier Sized Case. Tell me what you think.

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)

Last edited by MPDano; 06-11-2010 at 05:55 AM..
Old 06-10-2010, 03:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage

I am creating a Website for it and posted up the same pics there and will add a video soon to show how the touchscreen works with the Centrafuse Interface. Any input is Welcomed.

http://www.CompFuser.com

Anyone wondering why this name CompFuser. It's my Computer Fuser idea for Automobiles. Yeah Buddy!

Last edited by MPDano; 06-10-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
Great stuff Leo...If I had new cars I would expect something like it.
'93 BMW 525i, 260k "the beater" Garnet
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Excellent! I wish I had one....

Jim
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpusfugit View Post
Excellent! I wish I had one....

Jim
You will be able to Jim! I will be Marketing and Selling the Base Units pretty soon. Pricing for the Base Unit Carputer (less Touchscreen and Options) will be in the mid $900's. Just the Windows Operating System and Centrafuse Application is already almost $200, so it's not just Hardware. Gotta get the Website sorted out and install a Forum too for Q/A and FAQ's.

...then I can start Fabricating the plate for the early 928 Center Consoles that use the old style HVAC System. I believe anything prior to the S4, but not really sure. Maybe someone can chime in and correct me on that one.

I am thinking of using the area just below the Seat Belt Indicator to below the Ashtray for the 7" Touchscreen area. I think there should be enough room to relocated your Analog Clock/Aftermarket Gauges to where the Ashtray used to be. You don't need an Ashtray, smoking is bad for you and you need to quit anyways. I did and only gained 50 pounds doing it ABS Fabricated Plate will be from just below the Center Vents to just above the Window Switches.

I'm going to drop by the local Plastics Vendor to see if I can pick up some samples after work today, so I can find the best solution material. If I can get some small pieces, I will post them up here and get your opinions.

All your thoughts and input are appreciated.

Keep 'em coming.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Here is a pic of the insides. Mini-ITX Motherboard. Incredible how small they are making the boards nowadays. You can also see that getting it all inside the small case can be a chore. Wire organization is key to good air circulation within the case.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Anyone got an early (round clock style) Center Console for sale? I don't need a perfect one since it's for creating a template for the new Carputer Plate I need to fabricate. Send me pics to mpdano@netzero.net and a shipped price to 92021.

Thanks for your support in this Project

Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: