Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
GAFB

New owner with offset question (and more)

Hi all,
I am a new '928 owner but longtime 911 guy. Have been on Pelican since '99 but this is my first post in this forum. It is an '86 S3 5-speed, Meteor Grey metallic over brown full leather interior. Pics to come. It has 68K on it, and the timing belt was done at 59K - in 1993. So far I am finding the car to be really great to work on. In stripping down the intake, it reminded me a lot of the DME 911 Carreras I am accustomed to dealing with. I have got the following projects going right now as parts come in:
-new Laso water pump
-timing belt replacement with PK tensioner upgrade
-PK chip/intake ring upgrade
-Witchhunter injector cleaning (done)
-X-pipe (finished it yesterday)
-55lb. FPR
-replace all vacuum and fuel lines

Upcoming:
-S4 brakes

My first question: I have a line on a nice set of wheels. Even after doing a lot of searching here and at RL, I am a little unsure if these will fit. They are 7J17 ET55 and 9J17 ET55. Thoughts?

One other question: I realized yesterday that my air pump is going away, leaving my fan with no belt. Can I just install a short belt between the crank pulley and fan? If so, does anyone have the proper size?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My pump seized and trashed my belt. So I cut the belt, cut the A/C belt, too, (A/C doesn't work anyway), didn't install a short belt, only have the electric fan operating now, it's winter time, ........

This summer I'll think about installing a short belt for the fan.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
European Shark

Garage
Yes, you can use a small one, it's a 21" belt Should give you a small HP increase, and quicker throttle pick-up, too.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Network Native

Welcome to the group.

7" is too narrow on the front, really only good for a 205, which is why they show up at bargain prices. 7.5" with 225 is stock, I can't see upgrading to less than 8" in the front. Once you have the width ok, best to use a calculator for the offset.

You should see a NICE performance bump with those changes. The 55 psi is what Porken specs for his chips (S4 of some year I think)?

One of the RL guys is top of his region in autoX in a 928.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
Panamera wheels work well, front offset in 8x18 is 59et. Closest Ive been able to find to the stock offset.)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
GAFB

OK, I think I am ready to do some serious wrenching over the long weekend!
-X-pipe (already installed, went in fine)
-fresh exhaust clamps
-02 sensor
-water pump and gasket
-thermostat
-Audi sealed-type maintenance-free belt tensioner (PorKensioner)
-Bracket for new tensioner (PorKensioner)
-Conti heavy duty timing belt
-All new fuel lines and clamps
-All new vacuum lines and joints
-Accessory belts
-Freshened injectors
-New air filter (should give me about 40 horsepower - the one I took out was saturated with squirrel nuts and leaves - the airbox was packed full of crap)
-MY '87 55lb fuel pressure regulator
-intake boot wall stiffeners "torque rings"
-aftermarket chips
-fresh coolant and oil

To answer my own question - there is a short belt for elimination of the air pump (or you can install a dummy idler pulley in place of the air pump). The correct belt is an "L421" which is a 21" v-belt available at any FLAPS or tractor/agri supply store.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

GAFB

Thanks Riber - based on your answer and some subsequent searching on Rennlist, I found that belt spec mentioned above. Also thanks for the info on the wheels. That's a shame, it was a perfect local set with brand new Eagle F1 tires. I may try to pick up the rears and find a pair of 8s on eBay etc.

Is the ET 55 offset on the rear 9J17s workable?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
It has been said by some the Gates belt is superior to the Conti Belt.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Network Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrasta View Post
It has been said by some the Gates belt is superior to the Conti Belt.
Complaint I've heard is that the Conti belt stretches, but that might not be an issue with the Porkentensioner.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrasta View Post
Panamera wheels work well, front offset in 8x18 is 59et. Closest Ive been able to find to the stock offset.)
Some of the Boxster wheels work well too
Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
dont use Boxter twist wheels wheels on the 928 they look like chump change
Old 12-22-2011, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
dont use Boxter twist wheels wheels on the 928 they look like chump change
Yeah be careful and not get mixed up with "Twist" and "TURBO Twists." The Turbos are awesome looking in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
GAFB

I'm really only looking at Cup 2 wheels. Have found that 55 offset for the rear but don't know if it will work.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
GAFB

OK! So far the x-pipe is installed, a fresh 02 sensor is plumbed and routed, all fuel lines have been renewed...and almost all the vacuum lines. GRRRRRR the kit from 928s R Us didn't have enough line included in the kit to do everything. Tried to hit the FLAPS, but they had just closed. No worries, will hit it Monday, then it will be on to the water pump and timing belt.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Network Native

My vacuum line kit from Roger was pre made, all the fittings etc, but it was a year or so ago. Are you sure its all routed correctly?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Complaint I've heard is that the Conti belt stretches, but that might not be an issue with the Porkentensioner.
Yes this is what I have heard also.

I have also been told Gates makes the Belt for Porsche.

Not sure who makes the Conti Belt. I personally would only use GATES if not Porsche Belts.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
GAFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
My vacuum line kit from Roger was pre made, all the fittings etc, but it was a year or so ago. Are you sure its all routed correctly?
Yep, I pulled the old lines one-by-one and measured/cut new lines using the old ones as templates.

There is a big vacuum junction, something like 7-way, in the valley located below the MAF. That thing was tough to find - all I could see were various vacuum lines disappearing into the valley. When I realized that at that stage of disassembly the MAF just pulls out, I did so. Anyway, that vacuum junction is not provided in the kit (it did have a 928-specific part number on it, so it may be NLA - I haven't checked). Instead, I 'built' one using a combination of generic 4-way and 3-way junctions that were provided in the kit.

Am having fun working on the car, but am itching to get it back on the road.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
GAFB

I found some time over the holidays to work on my shark, and made some good progress. Vacuum and fuel lines are all done, fresh injectors are in, and PorKen's chips are in. The front of the engine is torn down and ready to do the belt, thermostat, tensioner, and water pump.

Notes on the harmonic balancer: that thing did not want to come off - not even a little bit, after 3 days of tugging, tapping, prying, and soaking with PB Blaster. I'd read about people trying gear pullers on them and ruining them instead. The balancer is said to be $700 new and $300 used, so I hated to risk it but was out of options. I waited for a nice cold evening then installed the puller on the harmonic balancer. Then I tensioned up the puller until it was very tight but not causing the tensioner to visibly flex/distort, then I played a torch on the center of the balancer but not on the crank snout. After I warmed it up a bit, I gave the gear puller one more turn and POP off it came, easy peasy.

No idea why there are two computers, but here mine are! The boxes are sealed up a lot like 911 3.2 DME boxes which I've been into many times, so that was no big deal. In went the chips from Ken and we're done...very quick 30 minute job that was a nice break from the front of the V8, which is not going so quickly.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
Ahhahaha. yes the crank pulley. I took 4 hours getting my pulley off. I must have called Roger 3-4 times. Wiggle is the best way . Lucky for you no damage. Put it on correctly
Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
GAFB

Bumping this thread back for one of my original questions on offset - would these wheel sizes work on my shark?

17x7.5 et52
17X9 et47

Would I need spacers? Max tire sizes?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: