Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

^^ I agree, but one thing I noticed I wanted to ask you about: The connection of the long rod at the trailing arm: why does it have, what seems to be an unnecessary long bolt? Couldn't the rod sit more closely towards the trailing arm so it suffers less momentum?

Greets,
Walter
Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab

Thanks for the comments, and the tech questions are always good to keep me thinking on the overall design goals as well as details that need to be addressed as with a build like this there is plenty to consider.

Flieger, all the welding and fab work is by Seth, the uber talented build master (at age 21 or so)!

Beetspeed, the bolt does appear long, but it is designed specifically for the 944 aluminum arm to convert it to coil-over shocks, it is sold by Racers Edge.

The stock 944 lower bolt is not compatible with the 1/2" standard shock bolt diameter so it is two bolts in one, metric adapter into stock arm then has a second 1/2" bolt for shock install. It also provides enough room to run the shock hat on the bottom to reduce unsprung weight. At $150 a pair they better be up to the task.

Stephen.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Good to hear Stephan! It did look like the races edge bolt, but I could not see very clearly.
Keep us updated on your progress. Awesome pics to look at
Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Porsche powered mid-engine double cab

Some more progress, I have been working on the fuel system.
All the engine lines have been replaced with Aeroquip startlite hose and AN fittings using metric conversion parts from B.A.T. in Florida.

R.CI. fuel cell modified by Seth to fit over the t.t. tunnel, now holds 13 gallons.

I added a fuel fill vent on top of the R.C.I. fill cap and a two way tank vent to allow air in but stays closed to vapor and fuel venting out unless tank goes positive from heat expansion.

944 fuel pump (suppose to be compatable with 3.2 carrera?) which will soon connect with canton fuel filter when I get some missing Aeroquip hose ends.

Aero fuel cap from B.A.T. made in Britain, its very nice.

More soon as I prepare to re-install the drivetrain to go back to the fabricators for exhaust, custom dry sump tank ect.....
Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
You have a fuel sending unit (edited) I see? Couldn't fit one in the cell in my bug. Very nice work with the custom tank.

Last edited by jadewombat; 02-22-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
914 V8 soon

WOW, great work, I am jealous!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Some more progress as most of the fiddly stuff on the back of the engine is done,so I can install drive train.

truck needs 28" to roll engine in, sitting on moving dolly.

All bolted in

shortened torque tube.

944s2 transaxle.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Very, very nice work! Keep the pics coming.

Andreas
Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
from France

hello,

Excuse my translation but I am French, I'll try to make myself understood.
great work already done!
I have a split of 64 which I would like to graft the running gear of a 944 phase 1 (steel arm) and the gearbox, but I want to keep a type 1.

I will carefully monitor the progress of your project, but I have a question on the front:

do you intend to delete the original train and adapt something else?

good luck for the future.

PATARY
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Thanks again all for the comments, after all the prep and chassis paint it is nice to start putting it all back together.

jadewombat, there is not much left untouched on the r.c.i. fuel cell (really just a tank) but it still has the G.M sender in it which looks like I can get a black face gauge that should look close to the other V.D.O. Porsche and aftermarket V.D.O. ones I am running.

Hey Patary, your english is a lot better than my french, I have been twice to your country and all I can do is yell louder in english (american) to try and communicate.

If you are referring to the front suspension then the stock beam has been replaced by a 4" narrowed adjustable ball joint beam from Wagenswest with 2.5" welded Porsche drop spindles. I also added the front coil-over shocks that match the rear coil-overs to increase the spring rate.
Thats about all I can do to increase the performance of front end until I junk most of it and have Seth the fabricator design and build a unequal A arm setup, with rack and pinion and adjustable sway bar.....future mod.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Thanks again all for the comments, after all the prep and chassis paint it is nice to start putting it all back together.

jadewombat, there is not much left untouched on the R.C.I. fuel cell (really just a tank) but it still has the G.M sender in it which looks like I can get a black face gauge that should look close to the other V.D.O. Porsche and aftermarket V.D.O. ones I am running.

Hey Patary, your english is a lot better than my french, I have been twice to your country and all I can do is yell louder in english (american) to try and communicate.

If you are referring to the front suspension then the stock beam has been replaced by a 4" narrowed adjustable ball joint beam from Wagenswest with 2.5" welded Porsche drop spindles. I also added the front coil-over shocks that match the rear coil-overs to increase the spring rate.
Thats about all I can do to increase the performance of front end until I junk most of it and have Seth the fabricator design and build a unequal A arm setup, with rack and pinion and adjustable sway bar.........future mod.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

porsche powered mid-engine double cab

I have been working more of the smaller details like the rear seat/engine cover.

It still needs foam and seat cover installed and hinge fabricated so it will swing up for access.
The stock pedestal now sits on a rubber seal I poured in place .

I also mocked up the cable shifter location and made a walnut and aluminum knob to top it off.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I love this thread!

Andreas
Old 04-08-2011, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Just curious, it looks like you moved the rear coil over shocks laterally (lay-flat) because of space. I've seen this on off-road cars every now and then or race cars where they go towards the middle of the car (left-right instead of forward-rear). The cantilever arm (yellow) that transfers the motion from the connecting rod of the trailing arm assembly to the shock looks like it has a an off-center pattern, how did you determine how much to put this off-center (different suspension travel) or was that a space concern as well?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Hey jadewombat.
The rocker is offset for a 1.5 to 1 ratio.
This was done to extend the shock travel from 4" to 6".
The d.c is a working truck so I need the extra travel for 1500#+ payload.

The shock are oriented for packaging and utility of the new "trunk". Seth (the fabricator) could have built them in any way, most race cars are located for aero and weight reasons.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

good progress.

Can't beat the price and quality of those rci fuel cells. (You can get them cheap on ebay in all kinds of sizes for those who don't know). I like the mods you did to the tank....very smart. So many bus owners have no idea how dangerous their stock VW gas tanks are.

I wonder how much this 40 year old modern girl is going to weigh when she's done.

Look forward to racing you some day....944 Bus vs STI Bus... thought that may be some time away.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

ArtistAntonio: What makes the stock tank so dangerous? Any photos of the A arm suspension?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
The craftsmanship is no less than amazing!
I wish I could Fedex my 911 to you, it can use your skilled hands :-)

Brilliant job, man!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67dubcab View Post

I added a fuel fill vent on top of the R.C.I. fill cap and a two way tank vent to allow air in but stays closed to vapor and fuel venting out unless tank goes positive from heat expansion.
Where did you get this valve from?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Thanks all for the comments and questions.

jadewombat the valve is from Pegasus racing
Pegasus - Fuel Cell Pressure Relieving Vent Valve, In-Line, 6AN Male

not cheap but for me a better solution than a open hose or a bulky charcoal can.

911freek, the credit for the fabricating all goes to Seth, he has a shop called Twisted Minis in Windsor C.A.- I just clean and assemble stuff and save try to save my pennies for another round of custom fabrication goodness.

ArtistAntonio, my projected weight is 2800# so with about 230 h.p. you may have to turn your boost down a bit to make it exciting.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: