Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911teo View Post
It's a wonderful looking car. I can't wait to see it in person!!!!
You're top of the list mate, so once she's registered we'll need to sort out that
Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Weekend Jobs

A weekend spent doing the family chores

Job 1.
Strip out cage and chip out balance of gunge from passenger footwells in preparation for some Por-15 & Dynamat as a concession to my sons' hearing.

Job 2.
Trial fit old Scheel bucket seat - Mrs G likes it

Job 3.
Remove window frames & door handles then strip black paint back to original anodised finish.

Job 4.
Fit Euro indicators

All in all a very productive weekend

Martin
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
That is such a beautiful car. Enjoy it in good health.

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

A nice day for painting

Pre POR-15

Post POR-15

Next stop Dynamat

Martin
Old 06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Today's job

36 ft2 of Dynamat went in today - horrible stuff to install.

Martin
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Looks great so far, don't forget to strip the windshield trim piece!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Bland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_gibson View Post
36 ft2 of Dynamat went in today - horrible stuff to install.

Martin
Congrats - you just added 24.5 lbs. of weight to the rear of the car... or more if it was not the original Dynamat.

The car will be quiet from that area tho.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Congrats - you just added 24.5 lbs. of weight to the rear of the car... or more if it was not the original Dynamat. The car will be quiet from that area tho.
(a) All done in the greater interests of my 10 year old son's hearing and if that aint enough there'll be more going in the front and where-ever else I can squeeze it in.

(b) Having just removed the Porsche installed 'hardened toffee' that the Dynamat replaces, I would speculate that the weight gain isn't as much as you might think.

(c) Otherwise have removed a 'very heavy' 80's Recaro and replaced it with it with a very light 70's Scheel that must be at least half the weight - one down one to go.

I guess I really should have weighed the car before I started coz who knows (in my dreams) I might just have incurred a net weight saving but certainly nothing that a Big Mac and Supersize Frys won't sort out

Martin
Old 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

Martin screw the 24.5lbs of added weight.

My ears are still ringing for when I drove my car from the docs of Southampton to my house with no sound insulation and a screaming straight through exhaust.

And I am not joking. I suffer now from tinnitus and when everything is quiet I can just hear the constant ringing.

Children's hearing system is even more delicate.

I will follow on your steps and add 25lbs of sound proofing myself....

Acutally after seeing how great of a job you have done I might just drop my car over there one weekend

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911teo View Post
Martin screw the 24.5lbs of added weight..........after seeing how great of a job you have done I might just drop my car over there one weekend
Hi Matteo,

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus mate and certainly ain't worth messing with our kid's health particularly as they enjoy our Porkers as much as we do.

With regard to the weight saving, I must have sweated away the 25lb gain installing the bloody stuff this afternoon so you may wish to consider installation as a personal weight loss program.

Martin
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Today's update.

As a first step towards registration, I have just obtained a UK Ministry of Transport (MOT) Test Certificate which essentially confirms that the car is road worthy and compliant with the appropriate regulations.

In order to comply, we needed to install / re-wire Euro indicators & RHD headlights and re-instate the missing rear number plate lights & windscreen washer system.

Interesting to note the very latest in compliant 'salmon pink' Porsche screen washer bottles

Martin
Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Underlay

Some nice 'light' underlay glued in today - next stop RS Carpet.

Martin
Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Bland

Garage
Yes, if it was not a Lightwt. RS to begin with, it may actually weigh less now. But the 25 lbs. is the gain over a bar car. We all need to balance comfort and safety (tinnitus - leading to permanent hearing loss) with our desire for wt. savings.

However, I encourage people to look into lighter wt. ways to reduce noise than encasing the entire rear area with Dynamat.

There are literally dozens of posts on various other products. I have been slowly working up a table of treatment options, but it is quite scattered right now.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
Yes, if it was not a Lightwt. RS to begin with, it may actually weigh less now.....however, I encourage people to look into lighter wt. ways to reduce noise than encasing the entire rear area with Dynamat.

There are literally dozens of posts on various other products. I have been slowly working up a table of treatment options, but it is quite scattered right now.
A little late for me I'm afraid, but it would be helpful to be prepared for that new paint job in a few years time so I would be interested to know more about the other treatments referred to?

Thx
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

One significant step

After a formal inspection, the British government have finally deemed that my new (old) 72T is not stolen and today issued a registration plate and tax disc

Classic Le Mans - here we come

Martin
Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

The 72T get's to the Classic Lemans and back.

Don't worry son - it won't leak:

Home sweet home:

Broken throttle cable:

French hospitality at it's best:

A real ST for company:

Spot the porsche:

Home Jeeves:

A great weekend - should be made compulsory for all porsche owners.

Martin
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Some new wheels

An early birthday present

Martin
Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Shiny bits

Car now watertight (I hope) with new front / rear shiny trim installed and some rubber hold-down straps.

Now I can finish the lightweight carpet.

Martin
Old 08-01-2008, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

72t Update

After a 3 month break she's back home:

The car was a pig to drive below 80 mph (overfuelling, missing backfiring etc etc) after which it went like a scolded cat - great for the track but not much use on our great British roads so decided to return the engine to a more 'user friendly' 2.7RS spec.

Work undertaken by Bob Waston Engineering:

- remove the 'raised' 965 injector stacks (poor mans high butterfly)
- relocate stacks back to factory position
- reposition injectors back into the heads
- rebuild RS spec MFI pump
- replace worn cams & rockers with S cams & 930 rockers
- gas flow & twin plug heads (for future use)
- skim barrels and raise compression ratio to +9:1 ish
- new rings/gaskets/chains/studs etc etc

Bob's somewhat conservative rolling road shows she is now producing 220 hp which is consistent with a good 2.7RS spec engine and although I haven't had an opportunity to test her legs the car is transformed, pulling cleanly from low revs and spinning very quickly onto the S cam - so far I'm delighted with the new engine and at last can actually enjoy driving the car below 80mph.

Next stop will be to complete the interior, recover the Scheels, refurb the factory 9"/11" fuchs and then negotiate the divorce.

Martin
72t 2.7RS(Rish)
83 3.6SC
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Martin,
You buy a car and then you make it yours which in most cases easily exceeds the cost of the original car. I feel your pain. It has turned out quite beautiful and await your next installment.
Luke
Old 11-22-2008, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: