Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Frunk alignment and gap question

I've been looking at some cars that are claimed to be accident free. I know typically, gaps are a good way of determining prior damage, especially if repair shop did a bad job, but is it common for the frunk lid not to have even gaps on both sides or is this another sign of something fishy. Is this just an adjustment issue? All of the other gaps on the car look perfect.

I'm mostly talking air cooled cars here as most water cooled cars seem to not have this issue, maybe due to mass production changes in production?

Are there other things to look for in terms of damage to front without being there in person with a paint meter?

Thoughts appreciated.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Often what looks like misallignement is actually because the car has had a charger to the battery for some time. Many garage queens "suffer" from this.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

is this easily addressed?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Just muscle it back No, take it easy.....very very easy and not in the winter time - dont want to crack the paint. If on doubt take it to s pro...and I dont mean a hooker

Last edited by christiandk; 02-05-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like to look in the trunk area underneath where the spare tire goes and I look for wrinkled sheet metal or anything not like from factory work, pop rivets, bead welding where there should not be, etc. and look in the engine compartment especially back around the engine mounts. Look also under the deck lid. Most repairs are done to look good from the outside and not inside and the bottom inside of the deck lid is hard to make look right after a hit.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
I like to look in the trunk area underneath where the spare tire goes and I look for wrinkled sheet metal or anything not like from factory work, pop rivets, bead welding where there should not be, etc. and look in the engine compartment especially back around the engine mounts. Look also under the deck lid. Most repairs are done to look good from the outside and not inside and the bottom inside of the deck lid is hard to make look right after a hit.
+1

I'll also add that the best 'history evidence' of prior front end trauma is the channel for the hood seal. It is very difficult, if not impossible to re-straighten after it's bent. It's easy to check. A big left side hit will also put a bend in the tube carrying the hood release cable.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

good stuff! Thanks all!
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
+1

I'll also add that the best 'history evidence' of prior front end trauma is the channel for the hood seal. It is very difficult, if not impossible to re-straighten after it's bent. It's easy to check. A big left side hit will also put a bend in the tube carrying the hood release cable.
Agreed, but pretty common for all cars. Our cars often have a crooked smile when stored with wires out of the frunk

Cheers from CPH to LA
Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
1976 911S Targa

Garage
Where is "Ribbit" now?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

In my opinion, the "line" or "gap" to look at on the front end of a 911 is the line/gap between the edge of the hood and the edge of the fenders. A car that has done a lot of hard cornering over the course of it's life and is suffering from metal fatigue at the strut towers will show a narrow/uneven gap on one or both sides.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: