Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 4- Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Hereís the cheap 930 I like. He never sold it and would entertain offers around $45k.
FS: My 930/935 Turbo
I paid way over asking price-- sent a cashiers check on Labor Day and I'll be driving it at VIR in a couple weeks. FYI . And COTA in February 2018.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
I'm not knocking the backdate cars as much as having a hard time understanding the price of one. And that the $100-200k price increase is worth it?
It's the cost to build one. That's what I was alluding to with the $50k engine comment. It would take me 30 seconds to write you a quote for a $10-15k gearbox. $20-30k in paint and body work. Another 5 figures in wheels and suspension. You can take a $30-40k running driving car and quickly put six figures into making it your dream hot rod. And a lot of people have been doing that. Jeremey Dixon's 74 that sold on BaT for $70s (don't shoot me if I remember the sales price wrong) is what a nice home built one goes for. The cars trading fro $100-200k cost that much to build.

Here's a good piece about one, of many, shops that have jumped into this pool.
https://jalopnik.com/this-shop-in-wisconsin-makes-the-best-air-cooled-porsch-1739546953

Or how about this car, with a Rothsport engine and GT gearbox, that rolled out at Sema this week? They say they plan to build 25 of them as production pieces!
https://blog.caranddriver.com/gunther-werks-400r-answers-the-question-what-if-porsche-built-a-993-gt3-rs/
Old 11-03-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Racing View Post
I paid way over asking price-- sent a cashiers check on Labor Day and I'll be driving it at VIR in a couple weeks. FYI . And COTA in February 2018.
Good for you. And for me. Will keep me from doing something stupid when I sell my 86 and have a bank account full of "free" money.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
So the NA car is more fun. Is that just on the track or everywhere?

A stock 930 will need less than $10K in modifications to put down 380-400WHP. Granted there is a line where the Turbo becomes a PITA. I read the threads and am trying to stay under that point.
It's has the aggressive Turbo style that is just as good to look at as any RSR. I'm a sucker for the old periscope headlight washers; So cool!
It took very little in suspension work to correct the squishy suspension and it's still comfortable on the street. The brakes are great stock.
The interior is nice. Especially with the super AC unit blowing snow.
Overall I really like the 930 and think its a great all around car. Definitely not a track car.

I'm not knocking the backdate cars as much as having a hard time understanding the price of one. And that the $100-200k price increase is worth it?

I will say the comments have made me decide my 74 build will be a 3.6 or 3.8 NA instead of an over the top Turbo car like Tait's. And the car will probably cost more than the 930 in the end. Maybe in the future when done I'll understand what everyone else already knows.
So I think you get it, making power with a turbo is cheaper than making the same power with a NA engine. but it is not as usable and has a more risk so that is why people will pay a premium for those high HP. NA hot rods over a warmed over 930.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
It's the cost to build one. That's what I was alluding to with the $50k engine comment. It would take me 30 seconds to write you a quote for a $10-15k gearbox. $20-30k in paint and body work. Another 5 figures in wheels and suspension. You can take a $30-40k running driving car and quickly put six figures into making it your dream hot rod. And a lot of people have been doing that. Jeremey Dixon's 74 that sold on BaT for $70s (don't shoot me if I remember the sales price wrong) is what a nice home built one goes for. The cars trading fro $100-200k cost that much to build.

Here's a good piece about one, of many, shops that have jumped into this pool.
https://jalopnik.com/this-shop-in-wisconsin-makes-the-best-air-cooled-porsch-1739546953

Or how about this car, with a Rothsport engine and GT gearbox, that rolled out at Sema this week? They say they plan to build 25 of them as production pieces!
https://blog.caranddriver.com/gunther-werks-400r-answers-the-question-what-if-porsche-built-a-993-gt3-rs/
I have not seen either of those cars. Both of them are amazing and have the work and tech in them to justify the value like a Singer build.
However there are those that sell for the $120k plus range (one for $225k or 245k this past year on BAT and one built here on Pelican that is asking $300k) that are more of a garage build quality. Those are the cars that I am referring to and don't understand.

I'm repeating myself here, but... Some guy builds a backdated car half in his garage and half at a body shop and it sells for $120-150k. Then a nice 930 comes along and people state it's an $80k car because of...

I do see both sides. Parts cost $$$.
My caliper rebuild at PMB cost more than my first car. I don't like that I wont see that cost returned, if I were selling, just because its a 930.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

Got links to further the conversation? I would like to see these cars out of curiousity.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I have not seen either of those cars. Both of them are amazing and have the work and tech in them to justify the value like a Singer build.
However there are those that sell for the $120k plus range (one for $225k or 245k this past year on BAT and one built here on Pelican that is asking $300k) that are more of a garage build quality. Those are the cars that I am referring to and don't understand.

I'm repeating myself here, but... Some guy builds a backdated car half in his garage and half at a body shop and it sells for $120-150k. Then a nice 930 comes along and people state it's an $80k car because of...

I do see both sides. Parts cost $$$.
My caliper rebuild at PMB cost more than my first car. I don't like that I wont see that cost returned, if I were selling, just because its a 930.
It's pretty easy. The market/demand is hotter for hotrod backdated (NA) longhoods than driver quality modded 930s. I also don't see people in the market for a hotrod backdate cross shopping with modded 930s. If there were a bunch of people posting "what's my RSR backdate worth" threads in the PP marketplace, I'm sure there would be a huge range of opinions/valuations just like the recent 930 threads.

If you gave a us a specific examples I'm sure we are happy to explain "why" or "why in the hell" did someone pay X amount for that backdate.

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 11-03-2017 at 03:34 PM..
Old 11-03-2017, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Got links to further the conversation? I would like to see these cars out of curiousity.

Iíll look them up over the weekend and post them when I can.
Itís Friday and time to unplug for a while.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone while Driving
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
So I think you get it, making power with a turbo is cheaper than making the same power with a NA engine. but it is not as usable and has a more risk so that is why people will pay a premium for those high HP. NA hot rods over a warmed over 930.
+1
Exactly why I've been saying the 2007 to 2013 BMW M3 are going to be a collector's item someday. They were the only years that a naturally-aspirated V8 with 400 horsepower was installed in the M3 . The European Union is essentially forcing manufacturers to turbocharge all their models. The days are coming when you won't be able to get high horsepower naturally aspirated cars.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearby View Post
+1
Exactly why I've been saying the 2007 to 2013 BMW M3 are going to be a collector's item someday. They were the only years that a naturally-aspirated V8 with 400 horsepower was installed in the M3 . The European Union is essentially forcing manufacturers to turbocharge all their models. The days are coming when you won't be able to get high horsepower naturally aspirated cars.
Does it count when you add a supercharger to that V8? 620 hp
Old 11-03-2017, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Does it count when you add a supercharger to that V8? 620 hp
No. Superchargers are for GM, Mopar & Ford only.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
No. Superchargers are for GM, Mopar & Ford only.
Tell that to all of the companies supercharging BMW's, Audi RS and lambo's. Oh I forgot the factory supercharged Mercedes. Funny though
Old 11-04-2017, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Ok. This car is about $20k more than I think its worth. Extensive rebuild, nothing special done and missed the fit and finish details.
Would I want this over a 930, no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
BAT has had quite a few backdated and/or outlaw cars, and they've all done well.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-porsche-911sc-3-0-2/
I'm sorry to call one guy out but is appears the flyn-hawn cars are the ones that stuck with me. Searching BAT I found the first car that caught me off guard with the prices of these cars.
First the fit and finish is exceptional. It has all the right details to give it the right look, But $200k worth?
Its a Franken car with a custom modified short to long hood, nothing special to the interior (all out of the box stuff), nothing special to the engine (pistons, studs, cams, twin pug and carbs to a stock bottom), suspension is a basic sport rebuild with 930 brakes and sells for $220k. But again, he nailed the "Look".

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-9111973-rsr-recreation/

He did do a 3.8 with injection on the second one, but he built it, and is asking $300k.
The rest of the car is just pretty close to the orange car.
What am I missing with these cars. Is it just what's in style right now and people just have to have one?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

The hot rod, back date is hot right now. Buying now is walking into an inflated market. If you asked me. The price of a 930 has come black to reality, again if you asked me.

Look at the historical spread between a NA 911 and a turbo of the same model year. Over the past 4 or 5 years that spread expanded to silly levels. I think its closer to reality now given the production numbers. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
These two cars you cited do look like cashing in on the flavor of the month.

But it is important to remember that not all the Porsche faithful like the 930 concept, that of a heavy GT car, overcoming aerodynamic drag from tacked on flares and such with brute power.

Porsches used to be about overcoming the odds with less, providing a nimble, tossable car with enough very reliable power to make a great driving experience that can win. Sort of the rapier vs. the battle axe.
I think 930's are to much like the modern Porsche in this way and people are searching for that old Porsche experience with these NA hot rods.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
These two cars you cited do look like cashing in on the flavor of the month.

But it is important to remember that not all the Porsche faithful like the 930 concept, that of a heavy GT car, overcoming aerodynamic drag from tacked on flares and such with brute power.

Porsches used to be about overcoming the odds with less, providing a nimble, tossable car with enough very reliable power to make a great driving experience that can win. Sort of the rapier vs. the battle axe.
I think 930's are to much like the modern Porsche in this way and people are searching for that old Porsche experience with these NA hot rods.
Ficke, your commentary made me think of one of my favorite "car guy' quotes --->

Old 11-04-2017, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Costa Rica Cheerleaders

Hey Ronnie,where did you get the picture of my cheerleaders for my soccer team?Do you have spies here in Costa Rica?I do not have my hot rod here.I wanted to bring my 83 930 here but they wanted $125,000 for the taxes to bring it in.Go figure.I pay $122.00 a year for 4 acres on the beach but import duties for a vehicle are 100% of their claimed value.Ciao
Old 11-04-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Indeed, Mr. Faaptastic, I've been stalking you! I've seen some strange goings-on, too!
Old 11-04-2017, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

This seems like a real nice hotrod for the money (if it actually sold)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Porsche-911-RSR-/263227355450?hash=item3d4992b13a%3Ag%3AaEwAAOSwuLF ZyCfa&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=hbVQiOrPxzBwFzqUplW4PyDk DHI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l25 57

I referenced this car below in my original post. The seller hit a home run. Great timing & a high quality build that checked all the boxes for a number of wealthily buyers to bid it up over $200k. Note: I saw the car in (2016) Monterey and it was exceptionally nice. Engine was built by Jae Lee @ Mirage International who has build engines for Singer.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-9111973-rsr-recreation/

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 11-04-2017 at 05:24 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: