Pelican Parts
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Panamera & Taycan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
It'll be legen-waitforit

Any Panamera owners here

Since there is no Panamera forums and I am not into the threads on the “Renn” forum, I thought I would ask in OT. I am tired of driving a pickup, moved from a Cayenne turbo in the winter to a Ram 1500 due to more space requirement with the dog and family, but dog is passed and I think we’ll be selling the camping trailer this year, so I really want a Panamera Turbo.

Looking at 2010’s due to the cost getting more into what I want to spend. I am looking for real world experience of ownership, as I’ve read all the “what to watch for” stuff. The only thing I really wish it had was remote start, what is with the German’s on this?
Other than that option list is long (in the turbo), so just wanted to get feedback on ownership.

Thanks in advance,

Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 09-18-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I have a 2013 Panamera Base, bought used with 14k miles, had it for 3 years now, put 60k miles on it. No mechanical issues, easy to do basic maintenance on yourself. Have to remove the front bumper for air filter change, but it’s not too hard. Driving a standard 911 for so long, I was concerned I wouldn’t like the PDK, but it’s actually very nice. Fuel economy isn’t terrible on the V6. Tires last longer than any Porsche I’ve owned.

Overall probably one of the best cars I’ve owned. Is very comfortable for long trips, yet put it into Sport Plus mode and it’s drives very similar to my 911. Look for a well optioned model, plenty out there. Got mine from vroom.com in Texas.

I’d definitely buy another, don’t regret the purchase at all.
2013 Panamera
2004 Boxster
Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Cue gogar in 3 2 1

Ms gogar had a 2010 panamera 4s that grenaded at about 40mph when the cam gear on the right bank fell off the front of the camshaft.

It’s a known issue and now a recall notice. So good for Porsche for admitting it. They fixed hers but I never trusted it and wanted her to get rid of the car.

Ms gogar sold the car to the dealership when the suspension developed a leak and they quoted their cool price of $5k to fix it and stuck to their guns about it. My indie guy didn’t want to mess with the nitrogen and neither did I.She took a huge bath but didn’t want advice from mr gogar.

It’s for sale at same dealership for about double of what she dumped it for. Great story.

Fun car! I imagine the turbo is brutal. Go drive a few.
1973 Honda CB350F

Last edited by Gogar; 09-18-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
On Gogar's recommendation I had the cam gears done promptly, so far everything else has been fine. We use the car very little, so it only has around 20k miles on it. It's not because we don't enjoy it, I purchased it to run between businesses in the winter and it's not done more than that. In the summer it seems like I'm always towing something so it sits, but it is fantastic for long trips. The AC is fantastic, and the ride is amazing.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 09-18-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bought a 2010 4s, thankfully it was CPO. So far in one year it has had numerous problems, I suspect it lived a rough life, although the history came up clean. A known problem (40k miles plus)is the coil packs, Porsche will only replace them one at a time under CPO, but after replacing the third one, they agreed to replace all of them. Another known problem is the front suspension bushings, front suspension clunks going over speed bumps, replaced under CPO.

Brakes, do you like your brakes to squeak, well they do on the Panamera. Of course Porsche says that is due to the material and not a problem -- we replaced them, nice and quite for 10 months, but not now. I'm OK with that on my 911, but not so much on the sedan. Maybe if you cruise on the autobahn and are not in city traffic, it will not be a problem. Dealer recommends the highway tune-up (go fast, brake hard, cool off, repeat), I did it, dealer said they did it, worked for a few days, then brake squeal comes back.

Lets see, yes, camshaft bolts need to be changed under recall.

What else, Oh, check engine light came on - need to replace catalytic converters.

What else, lots of strange noises, clunks, whines, rattles, that appear to be related to the PDK, and the dealer says that it needs to be replaced.

The last two items, if not under CPO, would cost me $20k.

Only other item to be aware of is the rims/tires. If the car came equipped with certain rims (I believe 18 or 19), all season tires are not available - only summer and winter - may not matter to you. Mine has 20" tires which can be fitted with all season tires.

Do I love the drive, yes, the features, yes. But, I have never had so many issues with 911s or a Cayenne. Actually, other than batteries and tires, no issues on my other Porsches

6speedonline and rennlist have Panamera forums......

Last edited by Rloop; 09-19-2018 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: added to brakes
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
grenaded at about 40mph when the cam gear on the right bank fell off the front of the camshaft.
Which engine? V6 or 4.8 V8?
Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Band.

V8.

https://porsche.oemdtc.com/129/camshaft-controllers-may-loosen-and-fail-2010-2012-porsche-panamera-cayenne
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Hmmm...within three years I was hoping to buy a newer Cayenne S with the 4.8 liter v8. I'm having reservations now. I suppose if the factory recall work had been done, it would be okay.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninelevenick View Post
Hmmm...within three years I was hoping to buy a newer Cayenne S with the 4.8 liter v8. I'm having reservations now. I suppose if the factory recall work had been done, it would be okay.
Similarly here, 3-4 years when my oldest is out of the house my wife wants a Panamera as her daily driver. I had the perception that they were more robust than this thread is indicating.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Similarly here, 3-4 years when my oldest is out of the house my wife wants a Panamera as her daily driver. I had the perception that they were more robust than this thread is indicating.
My issue was sorted, so I don't think I'd be afraid of a post-2012 V8 anymore than 'usual.'

IMO aside from that it's as robust (or not) as every other luxe car, with complicated systems that by design need to be taken care of at the dealer with special equipment, and when those complex systems break the dealer has an interest in repairing the problems with a helicopter-approach to parts replacement and high book rates.

That's why they have a $15,000 espresso machine in the waiting area.

They also know that -most people who can afford a $125,000 car won't really balk because they don't care or just don't know any better.

They also know that the middle-aged DIY guys have sore backs and aren't quite as willing to buy relatively expensive tools they will only use once in their life to crawl around on a dirty cement floor for a whole day to 'maybe' get it right.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I was simply hoping that the Panamera is as solid as a comparable year 911 or Boxster/Cayman. Which are overall really good cars. Not perfect, but not modern BMW standards of reliability (or lack thereof) either.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Band.

I think they are still much less needy than a similar BMW for sure.
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 09-19-2018, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogar View Post
My issue was sorted, so I don't think I'd be afraid of a post-2012 V8 anymore than 'usual.'

IMO aside from that it's as robust (or not) as every other luxe car, with complicated systems that by design need to be taken care of at the dealer with special equipment, and when those complex systems break the dealer has an interest in repairing the problems with a helicopter-approach to parts replacement and high book rates.

That's why they have a $15,000 espresso machine in the waiting area.

They also know that -most people who can afford a $125,000 car won't really balk because they don't care or just don't know any better.

They also know that the middle-aged DIY guys have sore backs and aren't quite as willing to buy relatively expensive tools they will only use once in their life to crawl around on a dirty cement floor for a whole day to 'maybe' get it right.
It's true I would never even open the hood on mine, I have a sore back, and I'll drink their espresso.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 09-19-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I'm not worried about the ability to repair it. I have a lift, a Durametric Pro, and plenty of tools. I'm more concerned about my DESIRE to repair it. I've had lots of POS cars, but I'm not very tolerant of my wife's car being a POS.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

I can't speak on the 2010's, but my 2014 Panamera 4S (I believe it was the first year of the 3.0TT V6?) was completely problem free during my three years of ownership. I had to top off a quart of oil every 10K, and replaced the Pilot Super Sports at 23K miles. Besides that, while running it in the canyons once I had a random low coolant light pop up, but some distilled water fixed that right away.
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Interesting stuff guys. I new of the known issues, surprised no one mentioned the coolant lines. I guess up here as a second car they probably don’t get driven as much so less issues to report.

Still debating it over the Cayenne, but leaning to the sedan
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 09-21-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased a 2011 Panamera base nicely optioned and have had it for a year. The previous owner didn't maintain it well so I am playing catch up. From what I have experienced you should be aware of a few costly maintenance items.

The bushings - They normally have to be replaced every 60K miles and its not cheep. I was quoted $2100 plus $390 plus $225 for each side. They don't like replacing bushings so they want you to purchased the control arm.

The air filter - The entire front bumper has to be removed. I was quoted $400 labor. I replaced it myself and once you perform the procedure once you will have it down. 2.5 hour job

I have already replaced two door actuators. It's a real job. The front doors are difficult and the back doors are very difficult. The back doors really require two people. 2 hours for the front and 3+ for the back. The dealership quoted $700 labor each.

Replacing the battery - I just replaced the battery and am experiencing an odd issue. I can't find any issue on line so I guess I will be calling the dealership. The liftgate was working fine until I removed and replaced the battery. Now it wont work more than 1 time. After opening it once it makes two tones and wont open. I have to crawl into the back section, remove a light, and pull the emergency cable to open it.
And that's about it.

Would I recommend this model? Absolutely
I started driving Porsche auto's 30 years ago. I have owned a 968 Cab, a 911 C2 cab air cooled, a Boxster, and now the Panamera. I believe the build quality is as good or better than any I have owned. It feels and drives like a Porsche but the interior, and comfort level, and stereo are all much better than prior models. I purchased the first three new and maintained them well.
Unfortunately some people don't so have the auto inspected before you make the purchase.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: