Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Admiral Obvious...

I love how solid the car feels. My '87 turned twenty this year and there are no squeaks, rattles, and/or shakes to be found! The paint work is all original and still looks new, and same goes for the interior! I drive it every day and whenever I get close to pulling the trigger on a more "reasonable" driver (read, Honda Accord) to use while the 930 "rests" in the garage, I'm reminded that I'd miss the 930 too much not to drive it as often as I do. When I'm traveling on business and I don't have the 930 with me, I feel as though I've forgotten my wedding ring or watch...I feel naked without it!

I let a buddy of mine drive us in my car to a concert recently, and he couldn't believe how easy the car was to drive. Then I told him to stop driving like he had a minivan full of groceries and kids, and to accelerate quickly to redline from second to third gear and then third to fourth! He nearly soiled himself...it was at that point that he finally "got it"!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-19-2007, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M.
Olli--

That is a sweet ride. Your ride seems planned to be very similar to mine. What are the details on that turbo you plan to use--trim, A/R, etc.? I've been thinking of going that way... What hp and torque peaks are you looking for?

I had those Ruf wheels myself, or at least ones that looked identical. Saved 44 lbs of unsprung weight by going to Fikses, though so I reluctantly parted with them. But these look newer, so maybe they are comparatively lighter?
Thanks Bruce!

Yes, I did notice in another thread while reading your posts that we had chosen a good number of parts that are the same.

The GT35R from Limit Engineering is one of those modified turbos where the people doing the mods are not very open regarding their "intellectual property/trade secrets". A bit like the UMW turbos, we know some things but don't have all the details. So, I am speaking under correction and will confirm/correct this info once I am able to verify the information. I have been told that the turbo is "clipped", and that the trim is Q and the A/R ~0.65 - 0.68.

Regarding HP and Torque peaks, I am hoping for 530-540rwhp and ~500rwtq.

Thank you also for the information about the weight savings by changing the RUF wheels to Fikses.

1989 930 - 3.5l - M48 - G64/51

Last edited by oms930; 02-19-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
7.0:1 > 11.3:1

Garage
Quote:
Something little will piss me off about the car (I think to myself I'll just park it for awhile)but then I find myself drawn back to it worse than a piece of ass.
This was in h2O's post. A day later here and I'm still chuckling.

930s addictive? Nah. Well, perhaps just a little.

Jim
Old 02-19-2007, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
930s rule the wasteland

Send a message via AIM to h20cooled7
I joke with my friends ,Im not addicted to E im addicted to P. I thought my clutch was going bad but I think the clutch pedal isnt adjusted right.
But in that whole day I was scheming on how to purchase a 1500.00 clutch and not get caught by my wife. Now thats bad. I have 3 kids and I cant remember their names(jokes) But for real I am absorbed by this vehicle.
1984 944
2001 VW golf TDI
Old 02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I like how the steering gets really light as it squats down and shoots forward, not unlike a motorcycle about to loft its front tire into the air. I love passing under bridges and along traffic barriers where I can really hear the no-cat just-magnaflow honk off the walls. Like Steven said, folks with any rear-view awareness just sort of move to the right, putting their blinker on even when there is no opening for them to duck out of the way. I like the solid thump of the door. I like how much room there is in the car; not just for the legs, but to the dashboard and between the passengers, too. It's a roomy small car. I like working on the car and witnessing some of how the Germans executed a design need, like the aluminum banana arm. And I love second gear. It can take the car from barely rolling to almost 90MPH. Yes, the 930 is a special car.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

When I grew up, my rich uncle always had Porsches. I rode in his various 911's, from targa to cabrio to hard top. I stuck my head out the sunroof, I asked him to go faster when he went through the twisties at about 80. Then he got the last model 928, with like 317 HP or more. It felt so strong at even the slowest speeds. You could feel torque in that car like no other, and it was luxourious.

I owned a vintage Camaro SS and Olds Cutlass, both with huge engines and 4:11 rear axles, which is basically super low gearing. Those cars would simply crush you into the seat and give you whiplash from a stoplight. But the experience never got much different than that, with a flat torque curve and no real dips or peaks. Ultimately, neither of those cars accelerated as quickly as my 930, even if they pushed you into the seat.

I had a Suzuki and then Kawasaki sportbike. They got to 60 mph easily in two and a half seconds, a hundred in five, a quarter mile in ten, and 200 mph if you were going downhill with the wind at your back. Bikes are intense, and fast.

But the 930 takes the cake, somehow. If a muscle car feels like you are sitting upright in an reclining chair, and somebody suddenly shoves you in the chest and makes you fall back in the seat; a 930 is like being in the movie theater in a reclining chair watching Star Trek, and at the exact moment that the Starship hits Warp Speed and everything rushes past you, somebody suddenly body slams you back into your seat. It is just more intense somehow when the boost hits.

Bikes give you a sort of weightless feeling, almost like you are floating on top. The sensation of speed is wicked, but there is very little sensation of actual torque, so it is more like being at the movies and watching Star Trek hit warp speed, but with no real body slam.

After two decades of fast cars and bikes, I got a Porsche out of respect for the marque. The otherwordly sensation of warp speed when you hit the boost totally surprised me because it combines the best aspects of my bikes and muscle cars into one experience.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I figure my car probably make about 300HP gross and I'm impressed. I can't imagine what those giant HP cars must feel like. I'd probably be disappointed in mine if I ever had the chance to experience it. I've owned several Porsches but only one turbo, there's no turning back.
Past rides: '74 914 1.9 liter twin plugged track car, '83 928S, '87 924S, '75 911S w '78 ROW 3.0, '72 911T, '70 911T and various other insignificant domestic examples. Happiness is a grey tailpipe! Turbo lag......it's worth the wait!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

WWWAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHH

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads10/Porsche_d9_41171941002.jpg
Old 02-19-2007, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Me like track days

My car is setup for track use.

Thus, the odd sensation of no huge sense of increasing speed.
I think it primarily lies in the lack of aceleration squat, as the previous owner installed RSR rear shocks with 150 lb. helper coilovers.

Car is also low and stiff

Acceleration sense is pretty much on a parallel plane, as opposed to the 'whoa up on the rear wheels' feel.

Speed increases in my car feel like you have hit some sort of warp drive - phenomenal acceleration with no wheel spin in 3rd gear and up. Freakish speed increases that are kind of unbelievable. But good.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

You guys are killing me, with your waxing eloquent on the pleasure of driving one of these beasts. It has been over a year since I have driven mine, due to my accident. I have slowly been rebuilding, and I am dying to get it running, but it will be several more months.
I miss the cacophony when the wastegate opens, and you blast past other cars as if they are going backwards. The satisfaction of leaving tail-gaters for dead with 3rd gear acceleration, and the "beautiful car" comments you get at the gas station.
These cars are awesome, and you guys all have terminal cases of the rare and incurable, Porschitis Turbosis.
Couple of pics of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Julian Williams
Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Me like track days

WTH happened?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
what? me worry?

This is a '79 930..... "slightly" modified
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

2006 Hangover Run, lost traction on wet canyon road, and hit a drainage channel, after going over a low berm.
Tub twisted, suspension and wheels pushed back about 1-2 inches, totalled by insurance.
Had the tub straightened on a Cellette, guy did an excellent job.Will become a lightweight RS/RSR track car, in progress. Going coilovers front and rear, removed sun-roof and all hardware, AC heating, anything that doesn't need to be there will be removed, gutted doors, 8-point cage, fiberglass, Lindseys 9'' and 11'' with slicks, Lexan windows all around, etc,etc.
Probably be many more months to complete.

Julian Williams
Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by carmad
2006 Hangover Run, lost traction on wet canyon road, and hit a drainage channel, after going over a low berm.
Tub twisted, suspension and wheels pushed back about 1-2 inches, totalled by insurance.
Had the tub straightened on a Cellette, guy did an excellent job.Will become a lightweight RS/RSR track car, in progress. Going coilovers front and rear, removed sun-roof and all hardware, AC heating, anything that doesn't need to be there will be removed, gutted doors, 8-point cage, fiberglass, Lindseys 9'' and 11'' with slicks, Lexan windows all around, etc,etc.
Probably be many more months to complete.
Sorry to hear about this. Good luck getting it back together. I know how hard it is being without for so long .
Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Could be worse, I am lucky enough to have the 993 for the street, but it is too nice of a car to put on the track. I have major track day withdrawl.

Julian Williams
Old 02-20-2007, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: