Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Basic question....how do you return the oil?

Hey,
Just a random question for the 930 owners out there: How do you return the oil coming out of the turbo to the tank with the turbo mounted so low?

Thanks,
Pat
'74 911 options delete no sunroof. lowered, swaybars, tie bar, braided brake lines, corner balanced, "s" gauges, 993tt seats, Momo wheel and knob, 993 mirrors, blacked out window trim, H4's, short gearing, S pistons, stand alone EFI, other stuff.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Trough aux pump driven by left camshaft.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
An aftermarket solution is to buy an electric pump.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-13-2008, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Another aftermarket solution is to route the oil back into the crankcase at the lowest point, which is at the oil drump sump plug. Others have drained the oil back into the left side lower valve cover. OEM solution is as BeepBeep noted above.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I Think powerhaus makes a nasty scavange pump that mounts in the stock location, made out of billet aluminum uses has a VW 1.8T oil pump.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Not everyone here was successful with draining the turbo into the case, they tried several locations. Do a search.
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
one of the great unwashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
Not everyone here was successful with draining the turbo into the case, they tried several locations. Do a search.
Agreed, do a search, use my name. I am the poster boy for poor oil draining. I ended up with a catch can and Tilton trans pump.
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB

Last edited by patkeefe; 01-14-2008 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: my spelling gets worse by the day
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

As long as the turbo is mounted high enough to be higher than the lowest point of the timing housing that drains back into the crankcase then valve cover or timing cover gravity drain will work. If the turbos are lower than that a pump either electric or mechanical is required. I have twin turbos and mounted my turbos higher than the usual methods in order to use gravity drains. But there is a deal of fabrication and oil tank relocation required.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hmmm.. my setup locates the GT35R in the same location as any normal KKK on a 930 turbo. I'm draining into the sump drain plug successfully... no oil backing into the turbo and no smoking etc...
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

my T-4 GT-37R was too big to go in the stock location, so like an idiot I made a 90 degree elbow and clocked the turbo away from the motor. What I didnt take into account was the fact that the flange is on a downward angle, so my elbow just made the turbo sit lower. I had major drain issues and leaking after shutdown- I fixed the problem with a spring loaded check valve in the top of the turbo with a -4 AN line going to it (the stock Porsche oil feed is too much for a ball bearing turbo)
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: