Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Tools/Methods Showcase - garage ingenuity

After reading the Trans Rebuild thread I thought it would be interesting to build a thread about homemade tools and shop methods to make maintenance of our p-cars (fun, easier, possible). I wish I had something to kick this off but being new to the Porsche scene I have not yet had to innovate. I'm hoping that guys like A930Rocket and BoxxerSix re-post their ideas, from the Trans Rebuild thread, here.

This topic might also be good for transfer to Wayne's wiki site.

Last edited by boostfix; 05-05-2008 at 08:33 AM..
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I haven't done it yet, so I can't offer any other advice, but I'm told the rear wheel bearings can be a total pain in the arse. Here's an exmple of a home brew puller that someone came up with:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 05-05-2008 at 07:24 AM..
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Porsche Junky

Garage
This should be a great thread...that bearing puller is perfect....that tool A930 Rocket posted the other day was great also....
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

I find pictures, schematics, exploded views, etc. to be most helpful when diving into a project. Here are a couple:

very basic cut-away with highlevel explanation of CIS:

Adjusting CO/AFRs:

An excellent thread on adding some BASIC adjustability to your WUR (Warm Up Regulator):
Made an Adjustable WUR- Step by step, got Pics!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I need a good pic of a sledgehammer for this thread.
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

bearing puller / installer works great half an hour to do mine.
put the bearing in the freezer for a few hours a little heat on the other side and you're done.
no kids, no wife, HELL YEAH.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Power Seat - End Stop Bumpers

Not a tool but a part replacement/substitution. My power seat used to jam if it was moved all the way back. The cause was a compressed rubber damper on the end of the threaded rod. Only the one side was compressed and this caused the seat to go slightly sideways at the end stop and jam. I replaced the crushed rubber damper with a grommet and two nylon washers. Works great now.
Crushed damper on the left side: (compare to the one on the opposite of the rod - about half the thickness of original)

New Damper:

Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Subscribed

I look forward to seeing where this one goes.

Bryan
Old 05-05-2008, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Great idea!

I made this wheel bearing cap puller before I discovered the dent puller with the correct bolt welded on. Make sure the weight on the dent puller is heavy enough (maybe 5 lbs?).

Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
"I wuz the liquor..."

A "typical" spark plug socket with the largish hex end, fits perfectly in the drain plug at the bottom of the gas tank:
Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Oh I got tons of these home brewed things. I'll take pictures of a few tomorrow and post them here for you guys I'd say 80% of the "specialty" tools I own I made from scrap stuff here to suit a specific application.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

This is going to be good!

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Come on guys, don't you all work at machine shops .

I've spent stupid time making tools for various 930 jobs. When I get a chance I'll take a pic of them all. Since I usually use them once, I guess I should loan them out.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
Since I usually use them once, I guess I should loan them out.
Ain't that the truth!

Garage sales up here are also my best friend. I'll look for cheap crap tools and offer pennies on the dollar for them. Next time I need to hack up a wrench I just dig into a crap bucket of tools instead of resorting to chopping a nice Sears or Snap on piece.

Took some random pics today. I'll upload them here soon for you guys.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Puller: Front Wheel Hub End Cap

Here is a quick (not elegant) puller that I made for getting the Front Wheel Hub End Cap off so that I could change my rotors. I was going to use a slide hammer like the Porsche manual recommends but it might rip off the threaded insert - the evidence was on the passenger side of the car where the insert has been welded back on from a previous mechanics experience! First I tried the plate by itself but it got bent pretty good without moving the end cap. After rum-aging around through the scrap steel pile I found a chunk of angle iron. No worries now! The bolt is a 10mm x 30
Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: