Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Newbie Questions

Search has been my friend since I bought my 930 last week. A number of my questions have been answered. I knew these cars were more complicated than normally aspirated 911s, but I'm still amazed at the complexity difference.

Here's a couple of things that I'm still curious about:

1) I know that a 1 bar w/g spring is a bad idea in an otherwise stock car. I've seen threads indicating that you risk damaging your engine without a bigger turbo and intercooler. My question is: what about a 0.8 bar spring? My car's PO installed it but I have the stock spring (0.6, right?). My car definitely has a stock intercooler and I'm pretty sure it has a stock turbo. Should I go back to the stock spring for the long term health of the engine?

2) The car seems to run a bit after shutting it off. This seems to be more common when the car is warmer. You know: sputter, sputter, rumble....off. Is this normal?

3) I'm following kilodawg's thread about black smoke under heavy acceleration. black smoke and fuel heads (turbo newbie). I can't see it myself, but I'm told mine does the same thing.

Any help, experience or comments are appreciated.

Todd
'85 911 Targa - sold
Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
1) If you are only using the car on the road and not a track you should be fine with 0.8

2) Yes, this is normal and I noticed it too compared to my 3.2 carrera. The idea is all fuel is burnt in the engine. The ignition stays on for say 2 seconds.

3) Get an AFR setup. Have your oil level on the stick halfway between the two marks when hot as oil can get sucked in...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 06-30-2008, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

.8 is the standard WG spring.

Under "heavy acceleration" there is a lot of fuel being burnt, some black smoke is normal.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: