Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera turbo View Post
while out driving tonight i noticed that when running a hard pull in third gear my boost gauge would max out at 1.0 bar then drop back to .8 around 6k rpm.
A momentary pound or two of overshoot isn't any great concern - mine regulates perfectly @ 12.5 PSI, but overshoots to 13.5 for about 1/4-1/2 second. It behaved exactly the same with the factory headers/recirc valve/factory intercooler/3DLZ, and does exactly the same thing with GHLs/965 recirc/Kokelyn/K27HF.

Frankly, the factory gauge isn't that accurate, by all accounts (I never hooked mine up) - use a mech gauge. I have the -30hg-0-15 PSI version of this VDO in the clock hole:

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I searched youtube for some sound clips of the rarly8 exhaust and could not find any. I would love to hear some since I will be in the market soon for a lightweight exhaust.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 01-10-2009, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
A momentary pound or two of overshoot isn't any great concern - mine regulates perfectly @ 12.5 PSI, but overshoots to 13.5 for about 1/4-1/2 second. It behaved exactly the same with the factory headers/recirc valve/factory intercooler/3DLZ, and does exactly the same thing with GHLs/965 recirc/Kokelyn/K27HF.

Frankly, the factory gauge isn't that accurate, by all accounts (I never hooked mine up) - use a mech gauge. I have the -30hg-0-15 PSI version of this VDO in the clock hole:

thats somthing ive been looking into,

thanks for the pic

cheers ed
Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torresmd View Post
I searched youtube for some sound clips of the rarly8 exhaust and could not find any. I would love to hear some since I will be in the market soon for a lightweight exhaust.
do a 930 zork search

and it will give you several videos and you will find quiet zork.

cheers ed
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I do have to dissagree about the cams. SC cams alone can produce more off-boost torque in a 930 3.3L than in the 3.0L N/A SC engine they came out of. This is the first thing I noticed on my engine, and the dyno told the tale. Cam and ignition timing are HUGE contributors to improved off-boost performance. It's not just the cams but the proper tuning of the system. Just tossing cams in with the same stock settings is not optimal.
+1 Listen to Rarly.

From my own experience, losing 3 degrees of ignition advance on a 930 makes it suck, badly, off-boost.

SC cams make a HUGE difference to off-boost driving, and cam timing makes a HUGE difference to SC cams. I used to have mine timed retarded to "build boost". Wrong...

If you're worried about increasing turbo lag, then use a modern turbo, which not only spool faster but make more power up top - my dyno sheets said the 3DLZ was out of puff @ 5100, but after changing headers, turbo, I/C, airbox, the K27 keeps going to 5700 (and makes another 90+HP to boot).

K27/HF with GHL headers also made .5 bar @ 2400 RPM under load for me. Which is pretty useful.

So it drives like a overbored SC off-boost and doesn't exactly take long to get it on.

Factory would have built them like that eventually IMO, if they had kept developing them...
Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera turbo View Post
how about air filters or intake is there any reason to get away from stock?

besides it looks like it would free up some space.
Imagine Auto sell the EVO air intake for the 930 that takes a K&N filter, and have said (here, IIRC), that it works.

http://www.imagineauto.com/intake.htm

I have one, but changed more than just the intake box between dyno runs, so no before-and-after comparisons from me, because I'm not putting the stock airbox back on just to find out
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Imagine Auto sell the EVO air intake for the 930 that takes a K&N filter, and have said (here, IIRC), that it works.

http://www.imagineauto.com/intake.htm

I have one, but changed more than just the intake box between dyno runs, so no before-and-after comparisons from me, because I'm not putting the stock airbox back on just to find out
thanks for the link ill check it out when they are done with maintanance.

cheers ed
Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here is a YouTube from a 965 prototype. All systems based on the same muffler and sound/perform similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzhJt-hq714

You can save yourself ~$250 or so if you coble up an air filter system like this. Not for everyone but I liked it so well I kept it on permanent. After several years it still does the job. Makes everything a lot easier to get to.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

You can save yourself ~$250 or so if you coble up an air filter system like this.

hey brian

what is your filter a universal ? from where?

im interested its simple and effective.

i dig

cheers ed
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Inexpensive Auto store paper filters. The main unit is used for old school dual quad setups. It fits right on the air meter plate with no base required.
Again, not for everyone and can be used for tuning if nothing else.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

I followed Brians' idea and it works great!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Me too

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
another

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

nice 914

thanks for all the pics. im gona cobble togather a unit for myself.

thanks ed
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

saga continues

Ok

heres my next question to you guys i have the parts for the air filter, i have a set of 78 SC heat exchangers. my question is what else do i need besides the j-pipe and the quite zork im going to be talking to brian about.

im unsure about oil lines and drain tank under turbo?

my car has the thermos on it now and im starting small and up grading one step at a time and exhaust is number one for me.

the next will be wur either a 77 style or mod mine.

thanks ed
Old 02-18-2009, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Brian, did you fabricate the top of that filter, or does someone sell one that matches the two screws for the intake?
Eric

81 911SC Coupe Guards Red, Stock. "Zippy"
Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Yes it is aluminum, however you can simply use the stock chrome one and drill a couple holes like chappy did.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

ok guys my car has changed a bit from my last post. i have removed the thermos and installed a k27 7006 that i had laying around from a turbo build that never happened as well as a set of euro heat exchangers and a monty muffler, cost was the reason i have it instead of a rarely unit. anyways i would like more power from my car and would lilke to go to better heat exchangers i have some SSI's laying around and was wondering about running these over stock euro exchangers any bennifits from these? also without putting my car on a dyno does anyone have a wag at what the hp potential is from my current setup is? oh yea i lowered the car as well and corner balanced. the car is very quick turbo spools around 3200 and hits like you where just rearended. the car has stock intercooler and running .8 bar.

cheers ed
mine is the green one

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: