Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

930 turbo questions more power

I just purchased a 79 930 turbo with low miles and around 10,000 on a new motor. p.o. spun it in the rain and motor go boom

im not new to porsche just to the turbo. im looking at removing the reactors and maybe upgrading to a kkk27 and a bit larger intercooler. is this worth the money im looking for a bit more power.

also i found a manual boost controler in the engine bay that is hooked to the wastgate, the car makes .8 bar of boost and no more. not messing with it yet

i have read through alot of threads and could probably find my awnsers in time but would like to get some fresh ideas on what is the best mods for the car the will be safe.

i.e how much extra boost if any? a turbo that spools at a lower r.p.m.?

ok i wait for the knowledge to roll in

thanks ed
Old 07-29-2008, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You are on a very slippery slope as one thing leads to another. Free up the exhaust, then add more fuel, the add cams and a bigger turbo and intercooler. While you're in there, you might as well get bigger P&Cs. Oh then you might as well go EFI... Have fun.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Uhh Ohh!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

man if you have seen my projects in the past i have a hard time stopping with the mods.

but im going to stay cis

what can i do with this and not go efi.

ed
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can do alot with CIS. I'm a newbie to 930s and there's a lot of knowledge on this board about modding 930s, but it seems CIS limits you to @ 400whp. To go higher than that, you need EFI. The first steps for your car I guess would be for a free flow exhaust. Then you add in a bigger intercooler and turbo. Lots of different turbos out there that guys have used: k27, k27hfs, k29... I have a k29 on my 86 and the turbo starts spooling @ 3k and pulls hard from there up to redline. I have no experience with the k27 variants. Just make sure you up the fuel as you don't want your car running lean at WOT. After that, you would be going into the motor with cams and P&Cs.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Actually, my friends CIS 930 makes 450whp at 1 bar which is a very strong CIS motor indeed.

Easy mods are headers/muffler, intercooler and K27 or K29 turbo (only go with the K29 if you are planning mods below)

Next step would be cylinder head porting, Raceware cylinder head stud kit and 964 cams.

Icing on the cake is 98mm P&Cs with 8.0 compression and Carillo/Pauter rods.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

When I first went down that path, I did as you're doing...researched what others had done. I wanted the motor to come alive with at least some of the untapped potential sitting under the hood. After some time and money has passed, I ended up with:
removed the cat converter
installed a Fabspeed muffler
upgraded to a K27 turbo
modified air intake (similar to Powerflo, using K&N cone)
upgraded to a larger intercooler
added boost adjust to enable up to 1.0 bar
Aftermarket boost gauge
Swapped out the stock WG for a Tial 46mm
installed Andial's outdated enrichment system...for when I'm running at 1 bar
already had MSD ignition
Kennedy Engineered clutch PP to handle it all
Innovate LC-1 with analog gauge (soon to be installed)

There you have it. All bolt on stuff. You really can't do too much more engine-wise without getting inside of her.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

hey thanks guys all good stuff

mark i think im gonna go the same path you took and go bolt on at this point.

gonna start with exhaust and go from there

thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Porsche-Poor

Garage
nice looking car, good luck on all the mods, you're in for a real treat
1980 911 SC Weissach-regrettably sold
1975 911S-sold but not forgotten
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

IMO the first thing you should do is to lower your car...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
IMO the first thing you should do is to lower your car...
yes you are right im gona try for a 1" drop do you know how many teeth on the torsion that is for the rear?

i know the front is very easy

ed
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
You may get away with the small amount of adjustment on the rear if you are only going to drop 1"
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I am not an expert but there are couple of ways to go so identifying your goals up front can save you money.

Irregardless, the best opertunity is fixing the restriction after the turbo. Get the lowest restriction muffler you can handle. This will make for faster turbo spool, increase effecency, and deliver more HP. My favorit is a bit SS glass pack that exits on the left side.

I belive the stock heat exchangers are a solid set up and do not have the potental to crack that the after market shorties may have.

I also suspect most the of the reduction in lag attribuited to the high dollar systems is in the muffler not the short tube length.

The added power attribuited from the shortie systems I suspect is really from the ineffecent wast gate circut that tricks the WG into delivering more boost.

Next is the Turbo. This is where you should decide what your goals are.

A larger turbo like a K27HF has a biger compressor wheel and can make monster HP, will run a bit more effecent at higher rpms, and will have a softer and latter boost onset.

A K27-7200 from the factory 91-94 C2 Turbos is great turbo up to around 375HP and it but comes in with less lag and much harder boost onset. More fun in the street I would say but no bragging rights.

A better intercooler is expensive but is free HP. I also alows you to run more boost for even more HP. Just adding an intercooler can be good for 20-30hp with out adding any boost.

With the lower restriction muffler, K27-7200, a .9 bar spring and a better IC you can have a very nice running car that works will with the stock cam, ports and compression.

Note that changing cams helps the motor breath better as dose larger intake ports. However, this is not totally reqired for big HP.

The 930 has small ports to work with the CIS fuel injection. CIS squirts fuel at all time and the fuel just sits in the port untill the intake valve opens and the air starts rushing by. Porsche had to make a small port in increas the volicity of the air flow to get the air and fuel mix properly for better emmissions.

As to the cam. The 930 cam is a low rpm torque cam. Going to an SC or C2 cam can help breathing but actually lowers the effective compression ratio for a small reduction in pre boost torque. Many have make a lot of HP with small ports and stock cams.

Playing with the WUR and ignition has some potental.

The WUR from a 76/7 turbo reduced Control Pressure with a loss of manifold vac as soon as the throtle was cracked. The 78-94 WUR required .5 bar of boost before it reduces CP. The differance can be felt in throtle response as lowering the CP sooner alows the metering plate to move easyer and the car to come up on boost quicker.

Your WUR can be modified to act this way.

On the ignition side a programable ignition would be the best. Or on can to a MSD system that has the built in boost retard function and have the distribuitor modified and recurved to work with it. The side benifit to an MSD system is 930 ofter will be run a bit rich and with the low compression it is more difficult to lite the mix. The muliple spark of the MSD can help with this.

If you need to go through your motor, making it biger seems to have a double pay back with better lower end an more HP.

May have found that gears can transform a 930 as the wide gear spacing can take you out of you power band quite a bit of the time.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Sorry about the misspellings as my spell check did not work and I was rushing.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
911st, I had to read the section about cams a few times and still didn't completely understand it.

Could you elaborate for me please?

TIA
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Sorry, basically it is not worth the expense to just change out the cams.

SC & C2 cams open the intake and exhaust valves higher and longer so they do breath better.

Because they are open longer they do not fully close the intake valve on the compression stroke as soon as the stock turbo cams do. This makes for a little less effective compression. Less compression means less pre-boost torque.

There have been a lot of guys that have been able to put out monster HP with the stock cams and stock ports so it is not a must have.

My opinion is first low back pressure muffler, then turbo, then intercooler as a best practices approach. Most go out and spend a pile on a header system.

With a 930 most of us are hooked on the big HP numbers as boost is addictive. Under boost the C2 cams and the SC cams will help make more total HP. They can help preboost but to work best some measured compression should be added back in.

I would not go to the expense of just changing the cams. If I had the motor apart anyway I would go with the C2 cams and shave the head to get back some of the effective compression and would port the heads at the same time.

Porsche did a couple of things with the 930 in the name of emissions. They put in a restrictive exhaust with thermal reactors or a cat; small ports to increase velocity to aid in air-fuel mixing; they put a low lift no over lap cam to keep exhaust gasses out of the intake tract and to speed up air flow for better air-fuel mixing; and, they left the cooling fins off the top of the cylinders so the motor would heat up and run hotter and to work with the cat. (Like the 5 blade cooling fan on the 75-77 911's).

I am not an expert so please take my comments with a grain of salt.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hey Ed,

Good place to start asking questions for sure! As a numbers person I focused on results when deciding on changes (ie...did this change and went from X to Y rwhp). The best example I can offer is a stock 91 Turbo running 1 bar vs a stock 91 Turbo running .8 bar with headers and no cat. Both cars run on the same dyno same day. Headers w/ low restriction exhaust made over 100 ft lbs more torque at 3k rpm then stock. Peak HP was the same (but .8 bar vs 1 bar). The aftermarket exhaust seems to be a great place to start....(for the money).
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

more power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff91C2T View Post
Hey Ed,

Good place to start asking questions for sure! As a numbers person I focused on results when deciding on changes (ie...did this change and went from X to Y rwhp). The best example I can offer is a stock 91 Turbo running 1 bar vs a stock 91 Turbo running .8 bar with headers and no cat. Both cars run on the same dyno same day. Headers w/ low restriction exhaust made over 100 ft lbs more torque at 3k rpm then stock. Peak HP was the same (but .8 bar vs 1 bar). The aftermarket exhaust seems to be a great place to start....(for the money).
i like the idea of putting more power down low in the rpm where it is lacking

im going to look at exhaust, who makes a good set up for the money?

i dont need to spend the most just want a good fitting setup. im not to worried about sound just seat of the pants.

thanks for your imput

ed
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
911st, I don't think I've ever heard of a cam being described as altering CR. It does make sense though at low rpm.
However, increasing the engines CR to compensate for a wilder cam must mean that when the engine 'comes up on the cam' the CR will be higher than it previously was. So when the engine is on boost you must need to lower the boost level too?

TIA

Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
I've being thinking about what I said above and wonder if instead of lowering the boost level that the ignition could be retarded to compensate instead. This may mean no loss of max bhp/tq along with a quicker spool of the turbo and a more flexible engine on boost (higher revving).

Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: