Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Metal Guru

Garage
Fabspeed Headers - Anyone running them?

Was visiting Fabspeed's web site yesterday and saw they now are making headers. Has anyone seen them or bought them?
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb

Last edited by 911nut; 08-19-2008 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2008, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Not I, but I did see a post several weeks ago on Rennlist about them. They look promising...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Me like track days

If I were buying headers, I'd wait for some longer term results from other early adopters....
failed headers make a MESS out of a turbo.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Macht Schnell

I have their Muffler and their quality is second to none IMHO. I'll have to look over their headers...
---Les Garten---85 930, Andial IC, GHL Headers, Fabspeed Dual, K-27 HF2, 3.4 JE Full Finned 7.5:1 CR, 964 CAM'd, Carerra 3.2 Manifold Cut/Flipped, Tec3r, Siemans 55#, GSF Fuel Rails, Clewett Crank Trigger, Clewett Cam Trigger,Dual Plugged, ARP Head Studs/Rod Bolts, Clewett Wires.Tial 46mm WG, Tial 50mm BOV, WEVO Shifter,934 Boost Gauge, Wideband EGO Sensor/Gauge, C2T Head Gaskets, '88 MB 300TE,BMW R100RT
Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
If I were buying headers, I'd wait for some longer term results from other early adopters....
failed headers make a MESS out of a turbo.
I'm waiting for someone to make headers that have durability approaching the OE heat exchangers. I can't bring myself to spend $2500 only to be scrapping headers in 5 years time due to extensive cracking.
Some manufacturer needs to make headers from 409 SS instead the 304 SS everyone is so fond of.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I'm sure I'll be flamed for being a cheap skate and taking the Chinese child labor approach, but my OBX are T321 stainless, fit perfect, cost $499 (including shipping) and are still holding up.

B&B Headers - got a god d@mn hole!

Perhaps I got lucky...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

FWIW, if you're looking to outlive the stockers, the SSI solution that RarlyL8 and M&K have worked out, appears to be the way to go.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Well, your OBXs weren't exactly a perfect fit, but they are only $500.

I plan to do a second generation SSI setup soon which should resolve the remaining fitment issues for the different cars. I simply don't accept the alignment problems caused when combining aftermarket headers and turbos. My version of "bolt-on" apparently is not the same as others. Because of that I have turned down several sales.

Everything is made in China now. The QC is not in place and the metal is often not as represented. Chinese spec 304 is not the same as US spec 304. You will see failures in the years to come. At $500 a short life may be acceptable. At $2000+ it is not.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Im with Les, I have a Fabspeed muffler and happy with it. I will be checking out their headers for the rebuild in the fall. $2500 is certainly easier to swallow than $5-7K for Mode headers.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Well, your OBXs weren't exactly a perfect fit, but they are only $500.
Perhaps "perfect" is a strong description. But for the most part, they were. Keeping in mind that I removed a set of B&Bs, the turbo still lined up perfectly, the home made passenger side Borla that I was running fit perfect (including the alignment of a custom muffler bracket that was welded to the back of the Borla when I was running the B&Bs), even the turbo support bracket fit just as it did with the B&Bs. The only fitment area that was suspect was the waste gate...and this was only evidenced by the custom wastegate exhaust pipe that I had exiting under the driver side bumper. This pipe was custom made when I was running the B&Bs. With the OBX, this pipe was now exiting lower than before, but still lined up in the same horizontal placement. I solved the aesthetics by cutting the wastegate exhaust pipe so that it exited under the car, and was no longer visible.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: