Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo Timer on 911?

For our 85 911 targa, my dad and i are throwing a GT30r system on it. would it be a good thing for a turbo timer and is this even possible to install on the car?

sorry for the noob question.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I believe it's pretty simple to install a turbo timer, but why bother? Just be disciplined enough to sit in the car for a minute while it idles and cools the turbo before shutting her down. This isn't so critical with just normal off-boost riding around town kind of stuff, but if fresh off the track or just coming down from a strong spiritted run, you do need to let the turob cool down or risk coking up. Certainly with KKK turbos, but I don't know if Garrett's are prone to the same issue.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

By turbo timer, do you mean a timer to run the car for a short time after you turn off the ignition? If so, save the time and trouble and just run the car @ idle for a few minutes.
Just my opinion.

What boost are you planning on running? Is this a turbo motor or n/a? Tell us more.

Good luck,

Ben
Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

I think NathanUK has a turbo timer...I'm sure he'll weigh in.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Seems it would be easy to install one on a 930 because there's no computer or on board diagnostics/OBDII to get freaked out by it and start throwing error codes at you.

I think you'll be tapping into and some relay ground wires for the fuel pumps and ignition to the timer.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm just not comfortable with walking away with the car running to cool it down. When I come off the track, I try to drive it for just a few minutes at slow speed before going back to the pits and letting it idle for 5 minutes or so. You would be surprised how much the oil temps come down with a short drive.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 11-25-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

ok very cool guys, thanks for the help. It's a 3.2l motor and we're planning on running 10psi.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Adrenaline Junkie

Garage
The discipline comes in the form of knowing how to "shut down" and chill for the last five or so miles before you pull back into the garage. Keep your revs down and "listen" at stops for your oil re-circulating through your lines. Plus, this will help keep the sacred rule of never flogging it into your own neighbourhood. Keeps a good face with the neighbours.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I'm old school and agree with the Japanese Falcon. In addition I want to keep the wiring as simple as and original as possible. One of my Japanese equiped 944s came with one and the TT was the first phase of my weight elimination project!

Diverdan
Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

ok thanks again guys, what you're all saying definitely makes sense and will save me some money : )

Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
My alarm has one built in. I have to have a Category 1 alarm or the car cannot be insured. It also has to be garaged or no insurance company will cover me either.
I just push a button on my fob, switch off the ignition, lock the car and set the alarm. The engine runs for a while and then switches off.

I hate central locking, so that had to go...
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: