Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

86 930 inherited issues?

Are there any inherited issues specific to the 86 930? Thanks in advance for any advice...about to pull the trigger.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Speeding tickets.
14 535i M Sport
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinhere View Post
Are there any inherited issues specific to the 86 930? Thanks in advance for any advice...about to pull the trigger.
You simply have to take the car to a really good porsche mechanic before you buy it and get the porsche PPI inspection.

Anything less and you are taking a big risk in a buyer's market.

There are all kinds of inherent issues with a 22 year old car if it was not maintained exactly right.

Each car is an individual. Don't look for generic problems but look for the particular problems on the actual car you want to buy, IMO.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinhere View Post
When it passes PPI, plan on spending at least $3K on this and that. All used cars have their issues when they're sold and Porsche's are no different......930's are just more expensive to correct/personalize. The idea with the PPI is to minimize the above figure.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-01-2009, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
River Rat

As with most older Porsches, have the head studs checked ... Very expensive fix.

Regards, Dave
1986 930 - K27-7200, Andial Intercooler, Tial Wastegate, Electronic Boost Controller, B&B headers, Bodart Zork, Leask Adjustable WUR, Full Elephant Racing Suspension w/Adustable Spring Plates and Von Shocks, Wevo Transmission Mounts, Fuel Safe Fuel Cell, Forgelines (9"/11"), Hargett Shifter, Innovate AFR, Cobra CF Seats, DAS Rollbar, Coleman Floating Rotors, Lightweight Interior, Forgeline 17" x 9"/11", 2800 lbs.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Is the car stock or modded? Did it have a top end job? Who was the mechanic/rebuilder?

I bought my 86 after a mechanic friend took a quick look at it. No real need to do a thorough check as the price was really low for what was done to the car. The motor was rebuilt by a local mechanic @ 2500 miles prior to my purchase.

Well, I had an issue with a leak and that necessitated pulling the motor. Once that was done, you could see all the half-assed work the mechanic did on this motor. The oil line to the turbo was not factory. Instead it was the factory hardline cut off with some fuel line attached with hose clamps! The heater ducting was still there, but it was the paper element which can catch on fire. The motor was apart and the guy used collapsible return tubes instead of the solid ones... THEN, you could see the heads were loose! Cyl 3 and 6 had leakdown of 40% and 20%, then it dropped down to @ 10% after tightening and cleaning. Not good enough so the motor is apart right now.

Just a note to check on the mechanic that is working on the car. My mechanic is probably the top guy here and has worked as a mechanic for a GT Cup car. The other guy that built the motor is supposed to be a pretty good mechanic, but not the best.
14 535i M Sport
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up

I have a 1986 930 with 63,000 miles, I am second owner. The car is great, I wanted a 911, but was happy to find this at a simliar price. Now that I have driven for 4 months, it seems fine mechanically, I am lucking because when I seen how original, I jumped.

I don't understand these cars having rebuild motors under 60k or even 90k, I am talking about the 3.2L

yes, get it inspected, but for $3,000? I bought this car to do my own maintenance. not pay big bucks......

I am a little disappointed on the fact that 930's can't be driven correctly on these 55-70 mph roads,,,,,,,the fun is not maximized
Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
I have a 1986 930 with 63,000 miles, I am second owner. The car is great, I wanted a 911, but was happy to find this at a simliar price. Now that I have driven for 4 months, it seems fine mechanically, I am lucking because when I seen how original, I jumped.

I don't understand these cars having rebuild motors under 60k or even 90k, I am talking about the 3.2L

yes, get it inspected, but for $3,000? I bought this car to do my own maintenance. not pay big bucks......

I am a little disappointed on the fact that 930's can't be driven correctly on these 55-70 mph roads,,,,,,,the fun is not maximized
No, I meant $3000 that you would add to the selling price to add minor fixes and personal changes to the car. Sorry it didn't come across that way.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK-I View Post
No, I meant $3000 that you would add to the selling price to add minor fixes and personal changes to the car. Sorry it didn't come across that way.
LISTEN to the ppi fact. I didn't because I bought my 930 from and old boss and "friend". He owned the car for almost ten years. I knew the car very well, and he rarely EVER drove it, so I thought I was safe. Wrong. Broken head studs, spun rod bearing, etc. etc. I was a total fool, first "big money" car I ever bought without a ppi. Learned my lesson. So did my money market account.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: