Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Question What's the best bolt on intercooler upgrade for mildly modified

engine?

I heard that an intercooler upgrade is one of the best ways to gain some low cost horsepower, so I am wondering which model(s) is the best bang for the buck and how much modification would it require to make it fit?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
So I will take a stab at this...

Intercoolers don't give you more horsepower, rather they can help free up more power that is already there by keeping the charge cooler.

There are a few manufacturers that you can find out there for the 930 and 965... Kokeln, Andial, Garretson, B&B, Blown6, and then of course there are people on here that have made their own intercooler. You can even look at the factory 965 intercooler as it is better then the factory 930 from what I have heard.

There are variables too... do you want to keep factory A/C? Are you going to go EFI? It goes on and on....

For the most part it is all in what you want and need.

New, these can run from the low end $1000-2000, so not really low cost, but what is on a Porsche.
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

^^^ Good info. With more details, we can give better advice.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
So I will take a stab at this...

Intercoolers don't give you more horsepower, rather they can help free up more power that is already there by keeping the charge cooler.

There are a few manufacturers that you can find out there for the 930 and 965... Kokeln, Andial, Garretson, B&B, Blown6, and then of course there are people on here that have made their own intercooler. You can even look at the factory 965 intercooler as it is better then the factory 930 from what I have heard.

There are variables too... do you want to keep factory A/C? Are you going to go EFI? It goes on and on....

For the most part it is all in what you want and need.

New, these can run from the low end $1000-2000, so not really low cost, but what is on a Porsche.
Good info, thanks. I don't plan on going EFI, but I could lose the AC compressor without too much concern (it's not working anyway).

The car runs amazingly strong when the cooler weather hits, so I imagine a better intercooler would help the car run stronger all the way around. I don't have many resources for extensive fab work, so I was hoping to keep it as a bolt on ready or as a minor mod install.

I'll research on some of the manufacturers that you listed and see what else I can find out. Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Infidel

The best intercooler you can bolt on your car, if you are happy to loose the AC and the rear wiper, is the 964 turbo one. It will out perform any of the other after market ones, to go better you would have to have something large fabricated with really good cores. They are quite hard to find though!
Oh and don't mistake an original one for one of the "964/965 style" coolers offered by BlownSix etc, they're not a patch on the original Porsche item.
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
For "bolt on" I would probably recommend Andial, Kokeln, or Garretson. Not saying that they will bolt on without some work, but they seem to be the best out of the box fit.

Here is the website for kokeln.
KOKELN :: Racing Products

Here is Andial's.
ANDIAL - Performance Parts for Porsche

From research I did a few months ago, it seems that Andial has their tanks made by someone else... and some on here believe that it is Garretson. They do look very very similar...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Maxx1;4952101] Factory stock other than k27 turbo, B&B headers, GHL exhaust, Tial F40, 1 bar wastegate, MSD 6A ignition [QUOTE]

With your existing mods, I would caution running at 1.0 bar without a better intercooler. Yeah, she runs strong at that boost, but do you know what your AFR's are doing? A cooler air charge will help guard against detonation and allow you a better safety zone when going beyond .8 bar. Short bursts....probably no problem.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

With Mark 100% on that. If your going to add performance mods and more boost to a 930 a larger IC should be the very first.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
[QUOTE=mark houghton;4952499][QUOTE=Maxx1;4952101] Factory stock other than k27 turbo, B&B headers, GHL exhaust, Tial F40, 1 bar wastegate, MSD 6A ignition
Quote:

With your existing mods, I would caution running at 1.0 bar without a better intercooler. Yeah, she runs strong at that boost, but do you know what your AFR's are doing? A cooler air charge will help guard against detonation and allow you a better safety zone when going beyond .8 bar. Short bursts....probably no problem.
Yeah, I've been concerned about that and pretty much keep any acceleration to short 1st gear or 2nd gear bursts.

That Kokeln unit looks like it would be a decent upgrade, I'll have to price them and see how much I'm in for.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Last I looked the Kokeln was $1900+ new and the Andial was $1650+ new...
Old 10-14-2009, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I saw a couple for sale here in the classifieds. In fact I believe one was a C2 Turbo unit at like $1250. Excellent cooler as well as price.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 10-14-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The Blownsix design seems to emulate the factory 965 intercooler.

Why is it every time I read a thread on this forum I want to spend money?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

B&B hands down IMO. I have one and it was a direct bolt on. All the stock hoses had a home, the air block off was spot on, and it retains the AC unit. Which I fixed so it blows cold AC. Most others require modifications or updates to make it fit and work correctly.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I agree the B&B is a great unit. I've got one on my DP935 and love it so much, I just bought a nice polished B&B intercooler from a Pelicanite for my Gemballa I'm working on upgrading. Still waiting to receive it, I can't wait to put it on and see or should I say feel the difference.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
The Blownsix design seems to emulate the factory 965 intercooler.

Why is it every time I read a thread on this forum I want to spend money?
B6 performance is 965 design with more volume, but it's farest away from bolt on of any ICs... Use search and you'll see

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Hard to believe when you are copying something, you can't get it right. For Pete's sake, it's not like they have to INVENT the damn thing.

Quote:
B6 performance is 965 design with more volume, but it's farest away from bolt on of any ICs... Use search and you'll see
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Hard to believe when you are copying something, you can't get it right. For Pete's sake, it's not like they have to INVENT the damn thing.
Well, they made it bigger, so the first couple of issues are programmed, too thick to fit under wing, different angles of mounting points and inlet tube as well

The more important fact for me is, that quality seems to vary a lot. Mine for example had a hair crack, seam for inlet hose was almost polished away. Tube for BOV was that short, the clamp always slipped away. Threads/ sealing surfaces for Boost sensor and vacuum fitting wastegate were not right-angled.

So I had a lot of work to correct in cause of the poor quality. Cores and tanks self are good, handcraft not. There are some IC around, they fit almost without problems and others were completely useless. Several threads about in this forum

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: