Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Slant nose delete

Hello,

I came across a thread on another forum in which a person was inquiring about their 930. She claimed it had the body of a 930S, but the front was a normal 911. The thread directed her to here, but I couldn't find if she actually posted here.

I've done the VIN decoder but hasn't helped me much.

I am in the same position and have come across a 930, but am unsure if it has a body kit or something. The body style is different than most 930's. Just want to know if this was an option or if it is an aftermarket kit or something.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What year is your car, '87? It was possible to order the sill extensions and rear vents from the factory during this period. It was not a "slant delete" at the factory as either option was available separately. The factory also offered "packages" to different markets (SE, LE, 505, 506, etc.) The LE was a factory package offered through the dealers in England that consisted of rear vents, spoiler-oil cooler but without the slant nose/folding headlights (this option also included the higher performance 330bhp engine). 930LE photo below.

The modifications as shown on your car were also replicated by any number of body shops in the 80s and later. Adding the aftermarket rockers and vents were not near as complicated ($$$) as the slant nose/folding headlights/racing valence w/oil cooler arrangement as done by the factory. Your car could be either factory or aftermarket, the genuine factory options would of course be more rare and desirable.

930 LE Pkg:

Old 11-25-2009, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply I appreciate the info. The car actually came from the dealership as so. You are also correct it IS an 87 model. Also is there a way to tell the difference between a "conversion kit" vs. the real thing?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Where is that car? PM me the owner's name if you want to as I can ask around.
14 535i M Sport
Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Lift the hood and look for the sticker under the top near the latch...if it's a Euro car it will have an option code of M506...or a US car will be M505 if it was a real slantnose. I don't know much about the "delete" cars, but am familiar with the factory slants.

Also look for the oil cooler in the passenger side rear fender well...you should see an oil radiator (cooler) there behind the three slats.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Infidel

I thought the SE and LE with the extra HP had those twin-twin pipe exhausts?

87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch702 View Post
Hello,

I came across a thread on another forum in which a person was inquiring about their 930. She claimed it had the body of a 930S, but the front was a normal 911. The thread directed her to here, but I couldn't find if she actually posted here.

I've done the VIN decoder but hasn't helped me much.

I am in the same position and have come across a 930, but am unsure if it has a body kit or something. The body style is different than most 930's. Just want to know if this was an option or if it is an aftermarket kit or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox88 View Post
930 LE Pkg:

Stitch702,
It appears the black 930 in question is a conversion at first glance. If you follow the rear brake vent contours on the outer most part, it does not follow the wheelwell contours. Look at the other turbo's wheelwell pictured and you can see what I mean.
Here's another pic from mine;

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-26-2009, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch702 View Post
Thank you for your reply I appreciate the info. The car actually came from the dealership as so. You are also correct it IS an 87 model. Also is there a way to tell the difference between a "conversion kit" vs. the real thing?
First give away is your brake vents slats are made of wood they are factory, also your vent opening looks like it doesn't run parallel to the flare curve which I think is a aftermarket giveaway, and the aftermarket rockers dead giveaway is the opening for the jack point and the jack point itself only the best boxed rocker replicas even had holes and the jack point has some extra braceing that the factory put in. Hope this helps and I hope that it is factory the slats are IMHO the biggest giveaway as those little pieces are the most expensive pieces of wood you will ever buy.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hey stitch post some better pictures of the rear vent area. Don't bother looking for the M505 code under the hood as your car won't have it whether the vents were factory installed or not. There are details in that area on '87-thru '89 cars that better pictures will enabl us to tell.

Also, have you jack points been extended out for the sill extensions. That's another common mod that many conversions didn't account for.
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 11-26-2009, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Jonathan (JBL930)-
You are correct, the SE and LE package to my knowledge always included the high performance engine with 4-pipe exhaust. The grey LE in the photo is at an angle where the right side exhaust is not readily seen.

Another 930LE from a bit more more angle:

Old 11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I assumed that the car was not an LE since from my understanding they were only sold in Europe.

The car is owned by my father so I will ask him to take more pics of the rear fenders and vent after the Thanksgiving weekend. As far as the vents slats go upon touching them they are in fact made out of wood.

We assumed it was a regular 930 until other 930 owners approached us asking where we had our rear conversion done. My father and I didn't know the answer since the car was purchased as so from the dealer for 80K. He himself bought it off his sister when her company was going bankrupt and she fled elsewhere for 1/4 the original price. My knowledge of porsche is also very slim since i'm more familiar working with imports (Honda, Mazda, Toyota, etc). Thanks guys for all your help. Keep feeding me all the info you know. I would like to see other guys who have also had this conversion done.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: