Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Changing the CSV? Those that have been there.

My buddy the owner of this mostly stock 87 930 bought a CSV a while back thinking it was causing a problem...it was not. He really wants me to put it in any way.

I cant see how to get to it with out removing the fuel head assembly.

Can I get some allen wrenches in there with enough patience or am I missing an easier solution.

The airbox and IC are off the car for other reasons.

Thanks
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Erik,
You can get to it using a dental mirror. It is easier if you remove the OEM BOV but not mandatory. Not a fun job and I would NOT do it if the one in place is working. You think it's hard now just wait until after you change it and find the new one is leaking or some other issue.

The following picture shows the CSV below the fuel head. You have to remove the electrical connection and the fuel line before you can get to the allen bolt. That is where the dental mirror comes in. The allen bolt is at a difficult angle to remove as well.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Brian that is very helpful.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Erik,
You can get to it using a dental mirror....The following picture shows the CSV below the fuel head. You have to remove the electrical connection and the fuel line before you can get to the allen bolt. That is where the dental mirror comes in. The allen bolt is at a difficult angle to remove as well.
once you get the allen bolts out, how small do your hands have to be to get it started back in?
Bill K
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

There's only 3 nuts on rubber cushioned studs holding the whole CIS unit on there. You can see one and part of another in that pic.

Take them off and disconnect, or maybe just loosen the 6 injector lines and the steel return line and you should be able to lift it up enough to get your hand under there to get at the bolts.

Of course the intercooler, air cleaner, and possibly the origonal blow off manifold if there is one need to come off first.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
After the next project

Garage
Thought

Have you checked the TTS yet? This is the switch that sits on the drivers side change housing and what tells the CSV to turn on and off. This was the problem I was having and everything is good now.

Use an Ohm meter to check.

Bryan

Current cars: 2006 Cayenne TTS, 1991 964 Cabrio, 1997 993TT, 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I got it, Mr. Fairman (as usual) with some good advice, I took the three nuts off the CIS head, the oil vapor tube line off (big one that runs up to the tank) and the bracket that holds the passenger side of the CIS head and was able to get it. If you remove this stuff it allows the CIS unit to move around an inch or so and that helps. Of course I dropped one of the darned aluminum crush washers that go on the fuel line hollow bolt...AARRGH... and I dont think I have a spare. Really slowed things down.

I have not tightened the hollow bolt on the fuel line yet - I was tired and it was giving me trouble but I think if I use a wobble extension I can get it.

FWIW the Allen size is a 5mm and the hollow bolt is a 12mm.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: