Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing your own engine

Hi All,

Because I haven't got the cash to get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, I am investigating the possibility of taking my own engine out and overhauling it myself.

I've never taken a 911 engine out before but I am reasonably mechanically inclined (am a marine engineer by trade).

I don't have a hoist at home, but I presume the engine can be removed if i jack the back of the car up and drop the engine out?

I don't have a garage, just a decent size driveway, so I would plan on working on the engine in the open and covering it at night - is this a no no?

I have a decent array of small tools at home, spanners, screwdrivers, allen keys, sockets and of course hammers! But if you were to put together a list of the tools you needed to put together before you started what would be on that list? I'm guessing:

* socket set
* combination spanners
* various screwdrivers
* allen keys
* pliers
* mole grips
* trolley jack (times 2?)
* axle stands
* hammers
* mutlimeter
* wire brush
* WD40 (my favourite!!)
* punches

And finally, whats the best workshop manual to guide me through all this?

Thanks in advance.
1989 944 S2 Cab // 1983 SC Cab //1977 930 3.0 - back from the dead! custom turbokraft IC, Motec M600, 550cc injectors, individual coil packs, 964 cams, UMW HFS7200 turbo, billy boat headers, turbo thomas back box, 996T oil pump, 3.2 JE pistons and barrels = 375.6bhp // 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL // 1973 E Type FHC
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Dropping an engine is easy,, overhauling one is another story..
What needs to be done ? Just a clean up or total overhaul ? BIG difference
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 06-20-2010, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

won't know til i open her up!

i suspect she needs new rings at least because i get some when i'm in gear and off throttle. i don't know the history of the car so i would want to inspect the main/bottom end bearings and if i'm gonna do that then i will be replacing them.

the cams/rockers fuel/ignition system are all ok because i have checked them all out already.

the gearbox need new synchros but i will send that off for overhaul as i'm not brave enough to tackle that myself.

question is, am i brave enough (stupid enough??) to tackle the engine myself?
1989 944 S2 Cab // 1983 SC Cab //1977 930 3.0 - back from the dead! custom turbokraft IC, Motec M600, 550cc injectors, individual coil packs, 964 cams, UMW HFS7200 turbo, billy boat headers, turbo thomas back box, 996T oil pump, 3.2 JE pistons and barrels = 375.6bhp // 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL // 1973 E Type FHC
Old 06-20-2010, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would think working on ones car out in the open would make an otherwise straight forward task more difficult. Doable but more difficult.
To drop your engine your present tool list should be enough. If you opt to go further than that theres a few more items you will need.
I think our host (Pelican) has a package deal that has a lot of what you will need included in it.
Pelican also has a number of manuals that should help fill in some of the blanks.
Good luck with your project.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Eye of the Toiger

Garage
engine drop is easy, get an engine stand, I'd do the engine work indoors if possible

1973 911 RSR clone powered by 77 3.0 turbo
Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There are places you could look at for the information (e.g. on this very site) - but the easiest way is probably just to follow the instructions in Wayne Dempsey's 2 books ("101 Projects" and "Rebuilding 911 engine").
Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Having just rebuilt my own engine, I say go for it! There are some specific tools required which you'll need for cam nuts/timing and a few precision tools for measuring tolerences on the older parts.... +1e9 for Wayne's book....I had it open on the workbench the entire time.

Dropping the engine is fairly straightforward...jack up the rear and lower engine/trans at the same time...probably take you a half a day if you're mechanically inclined

GOOD LUCK!

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 06-21-2010, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

The engine R&R is the easy part and outside is not the best, but doable. The problem comes down to the engine build. You are going to have to do it inside somewhere and it's going to take some time depending on what level you take it to. It can easily take 1 - 6+ months depending on the level, how much time you can spend on it and who does the machine work. Just keep that in mind. Ask around and see if you can borrow some of the tools needed.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If I remove and rebuild a motor at home it would have to happen in my kitchen...

wonderful huh

You would probably have to be single like me for that to fly.. lol.

but if you have to do it all outside, ger er done as soon possible and wrap the whole thing in visqueen or a tarp and tape up the bottom along with some mothballs or something to keep roaches and other southern bugs out when putting it away for the night. If it's windy don't unwrap it or work on it or abrasive dust will blow into it.

good luck with it.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Working on the motor outside? Wow - even I wouldn't chance that. All you need are a couple of grains of sand and all of your work is for nothing. The tolerances on these motors are tight and the rebuild time is about 40 hours.

Do yourself a favor and get Wayne's engine rebuild book. It tells you most everything you need to rebuild these motors, including the tools you need. Great resource.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

hmmm, thanks guys. i hadn't considered how to keep the dust out - i live near a main road also!!

maybe i can get the engine out and move it into the house. sounds like an argument with the wife is imminent!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Eye of the Toiger

Garage
+1 on Waynes book, used it to remove my engine makes the job a lot easier in fact I would get all of Waynes books

1973 911 RSR clone powered by 77 3.0 turbo
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I just did a motor "clean up." Replaced gaskets, cleaned, painted, valves, etc, etc...

The motor, in pieces, took up anout 1 1/2 garage spaces, and I didn't even take the heads of. For someone with a steady full time job, rebuilding a motor might turn into a 2-3 year project.

I can't even imagine doing this outside...

And in terms of tools, you will need more than you can imagine. An air compressor would come in mighty handy, tons of torque wrenches, sockets, a sandblaster, etc, etc....

This sounds like you are taking on a huge project...

Last edited by bpu699; 06-22-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: