Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

for those of you contemplating turbo sump return line filtration

Have been running the motor in, pulled the filter with 150 miles on two oil changes... Have switched to Mobil 1 post rebuild, I'll be checking back in another hundred miles or so.

Last edited by slyguy; 07-06-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

OUch! That looks fugly. How hard are those bits?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

They are not soft. Some almost a mm across. This is residual, cleaned the tank and lines but did not split the case. Hoping I've seen the last of it. Have this bad feeling after a couple turbo smoke puffs last evening the seals may have been done in as well...

Last edited by slyguy; 07-06-2010 at 05:04 PM..
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good Job, that system one filter looks familiar.

When I was running a K27 HFS I had the same kind of carbon coke particle buildup as you're having there and I never shut it off hot or tracked the car with that turbo. Just some I-95 entrance ramp test runs.

The UMW K27 HFS turbos have a large Holset compressor wheel on a regular K27 bearing housing and turbine side and they make alot of exhaust backpressure. higher backpressure creates heat and that makes the turbo run alot hotter than it would as a regular K27.

Then I put the K27 7006 back on and I've never seen a single carbon partical come from it.
It has a larger hot side housing and turbine wheel, and smaller compressor wheel.
Exhaust backpressure is lower so it runs cooler and doesn't carbonize and coke the oil.

Those carbon particals would go back to the oil tank unfiltered if you didn't put that filter there and some would eventually clog your cam spray bar holes and with the resulting lack of oil lubrication it would destroy your cams, rocker arms and rocker shafts. And cause accelerated wear to the valve stems and valve guides.
Those carbon particals will go everywhere with the oil.

I hope Mobil One synthetic works for you and keeps that from happening with that turbo.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

I run gravity drains to the timing covers with -12 drain lines. It is the scavenge system that causes the coked oil deposits. When the engine is shut down even letting the turbos cool down before shut off. The oil still has residual pressure to the turbo and holds oil pressure at the sump on stock systems. By having a gravity drain the oil tends to drain back to the case rather than sitting in the sump which doesn't allow draining of the hot oil after the engine is shut off. It just sits there till cool causing the oil to coke. The gravity drain lends itself to a cleaner oil because the oil doesn't have sumps to back up the oil. Of course this method requires repositioning of the turbo and exhaust to get the height to allow for gravity draining. I think the filter in the drain line is a great addition as long as it is checked regularly so blockage does not happen. Another solution would be to add a -4 or a -6 overflow port to a sump tank and drain to the case so when the engine is shut off the oil doesn't pressurize the sump tank and the oil doesn't just sit in the sump, with the vent it can overflow to the case for the oil pump to scavenge on next fire up and limit the amount of coking.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I drain back to the case and after looking at the oil flow diagram my oil goes through a rather circuitous path back to the oil tank via the fender mounted oil cooler and then the oil goes through the filter before going to the press. pump. But I did contemplate a system 1 filter on the outlet of the scavenge pump prior to going to the cooling circuit because it could possibly bypass the cooler and go straight to the tank.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The turbo scavenge pump oil doesn't go through any coolers or oil filters, it goes straight to the oil tank unfiltered in a metal line that has a rubber line crimped on the end and that goes directly to the oil tank.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The turbo scavenge pump oil doesn't go through any coolers or oil filters, it goes straight to the oil tank unfiltered in a metal line that has a rubber line crimped on the end and that goes directly to the oil tank.
Bad design
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Been there!

Check out this thread.

I had exactly the same problem. To summarise ....
I never shut down the engine when it was really hot.
I was using synthetic oil (Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40).
I fitted a filter to capture and monitor the coke and switched to a non-synthetic oil (Penrite HPR30).
In the year and a half since, I have not had one granule of coke in the filter despite no change in driving habits.

The only change - real oil instead of synthetic.

You can fit a filter as insurance I guess, but the real fix is to change oil type.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: