Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Really need help..

Okay this is the problem my garage smells like fuel to the point its coming in the house, and the wife if flipping out...
So i have no fuel leaks, and i have narrowed it down to under the air filter box i guess its the cis or carb body, under the inter-cooler area.
Its smells excessively like fuel when the car is sitting, should fuel sit in the carb body or the cis not sure what it is called?
Any help will do.
Thanks
1987 930
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

There should be no gas there, It's injected at the end of the intake manifold runners.

Do you see fuel or just smell it there?

Edit. It might be the cold start injector? Perhaps it's leaking? Or you have a leaky injector downstream. Is it hard to start, as in it has to build up fuel pressure?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

With help from this forum, was able to solve a fuel leak
Fuel Leak

- and as A930Rocket says, the car was indeed more difficult to start

How I was able to locate the leak source:
- Had car engine cold (standing a day)
- Removed some parts from the way (intercooler, air-filter assembly)... though in hindsight, one might be able to do it without removing parts, if you haven't got an Air Conditioning, like on my car (some extra room on the right hand side)
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/20100605_0101275766822.jpg
- Started the car, just for a few seconds at a time, to get pressure to fuel lines (but not warm up the engine)
- Then peek from the right-hand-side of the engine, touched and feeled with my fingers, tubes running at the back of the engine
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/overall_engine_bay1275416938.jpg
- After touching and feeling around, smelled my fingers after running them along a line (had some latex gloves on) ... fuel smells very strong on your finger tips once you find a place of the leak... or anywhere near it.

Perhaps an odd way to find leak location feeling around with your hands... but worked for me
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway-Star View Post

Perhaps an odd way to find leak location feeling around with your hands... but worked for me
Just don't congratulate yourself afterwards by having a cigarette.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

- After touching and feeling around, smelled my fingers .....

Cars are just like women.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's may be a dried and broken vacuum hose in the long and over engineered evaporative emisson system and may have nothing to do with the fuel injection or motor.

There are 3 plastic cannisters in the sytem the last of which is large and filled with charcoal, and around 15 feet or so of unreinforced low quality german rubber hose with black fabric wrapped around it.

I say low quality because I've been replacing that dried up hardened crap rubber hose for the last 30 years in German cars and it's the shortest lived and over priced rubber hose I've ever seen.

Anywhere it is exposed to some heat it will be hard as a rock and will break if you move it after 20 years.
German rubber has always been regarded as the worst there is with all the mechanics I've worked with.
That includes windsheild gaskets.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Check the fuel lines just behind the fuel tank also.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Okay just got back from my mechanic and he thinks its a leaky fuel injector, he said that it is not holding the fuel pressure and the fuel is leaking into the cylinder
does this sound right?
I have to bring it back and he is going to check the fuel pressure, but thats his gut feeling right now?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Which mechanic are you going to?
2004 BMW R1100S
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruni911 View Post
Okay just got back from my mechanic and he thinks its a leaky fuel injector, he said that it is not holding the fuel pressure and the fuel is leaking into the cylinder
does this sound right?
I have to bring it back and he is going to check the fuel pressure, but thats his gut feeling right now?
No it doesn't sound right.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Auguste in St Catharines Ontario i herd hes is great with 930?
Do not really know where to bring it, I am in Hamilton Ontario anyone know of a good shop?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
The CIS injectors always "leak" into the cylinder until there's no more pressure, hence the name Continuous Injection System.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info, but what should i do?
There is something going on under the air box, should there be any fuel smell?
I guess i will start with a fuel pressure test.
Or maybe take off the inter cooler and air box.
Is the air box hard to take off?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Perhaps also get a small articulating mirror and a small bright light. This will let you look into areas you cannot see directly into.

You may want to disconnect the coil to avoid any sparks and turn the key to run the pumps. If the leak is on the pressure side of your system between the pumps and the fuel head, it should leak at that time. If no leaks show, then if there is a leak it must be between the fuel head and the injectors, if my logic is correct.

I have smelled strong fuel odors before when engine was flooded. Is it possible you have no leaks but have only flooded the engine?

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, TurboKraft IC, Tial WG, tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter/coupler, ...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The CIS injectors always "leak" into the cylinder until there's no more pressure, hence the name Continuous Injection System.
Well, to clarify, a leaking injector would leak until there was no more pressure. Normal ones only leak down until the pressure drops below the spring loaded pintle valve threshold, but they don't leak down after that. The fuel accumulator's very job is retain some line pressure up against the injectors for an hour or two to help with a fast warm restart.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5uewf View Post
You may want to disconnect the coil to avoid any sparks
and before that, please remember to remove the CDI -connector
(6-pin SC/Turbo CDI unit repair documentation)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

maybe the diaphragm in your warm up regulator has blown...it leaked fuel out the backside of my engine when it happened to me.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 07-16-2010, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Auguste has been around a long time and I've never heard anything negative about him, but if you want a second opinion try taking it to Henry at Refined Motorsports. He's at Kipling and the QEW (416) 248-9779. He may be a little further away for you but he's been great for 20 years with my cars.
2004 BMW R1100S
Old 07-16-2010, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Bruni911,
I too had a very badly leaking injector, and I had NO fuel smell in my garage.

However, I had a weep type leak from my front fuel pump, that never left a single drop of fuel on my floor, yet made the garage smell like a refinery!! The cause was from the internal "O" ring that seals the fuel pump internals to the housing of the fuel pump. All you could see was a very slight wet look to the end of the pump housing, but only if you looked at it within 5 minutes of parking the car, otherwise the slight leak would evaporate and show no more sign.

The rear pump could be doing this very same thing, thus causing your smell in the rear area.

My .02 cents worth.
Mark

Last edited by full quack; 07-16-2010 at 10:54 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkracer21j View Post
maybe the diaphragm in your warm up regulator has blown...it leaked fuel out the backside of my engine when it happened to me.
This is my guess as well........I beilive the WUR is vented thru the airbox as well.
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica- 428FE
Old 07-16-2010, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: