Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
help...looking for new spark plug wires

i have a 1980 930 3.3, braided wires (stock) have some spots on them from the previous that are wrapped with electrical tape, i am sure this can not be good for perofrmance by any means,...or why they are wrapped, i just noticed it when removing AC system and cleaning the bay up a bit...

i am looking for new wires and cant seem to find any other then stock braided ones and nology wires...

anyone reccomend a set? and what size are you guys running?

also looking for a new set of plugs...if anyone can help me there too
Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Why don't you look at our host, Pelican Parts? They have both wires and plugs, I have purchased my plugs (Bosch WR6 DP0) for some time now.

Mark
Old 08-14-2010, 12:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
i did and they have both OEM braided wire and nology, that is why i am asking if there is any others that anyone can reccomend
Old 08-14-2010, 01:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I think the consenus is to avoid Magnecore if that helps. Clewett seems to be good IIRC.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Jim,
Be careful there is some snake oil out there. I read on this forum about a smart guy (smarter than me) who did some tests on the claims of the spark plug wire people. His summary, all garbage.

Basically, there are two types of plug wires, solid wire, and composite. The solid wire is for racing where you don't care about radio frequency interference (RFI) and copper seems to be the best choice although there are some exotic metals out there that make doubtful claims.
The composite can be fiberglass or graphite impregnated material and these are street wires. They are more flexible and work just as well as solid wire.

The insulation is important to keeping the wires from melting and that is why you see the braid on the OEM wires. The resistance in the wires is a consideration but since the runs are short, there is not much electrical loss even with the high voltage and relatively low current.

Remember you are just trying to get the pulse (or pulses in the MSD systems) of high voltage electricity to the spark plug so it can short itself to ground (engine). If you can do this without causing static on your radio, or melt the wires to the metal work, or have the insulation break in a sharp radius, you are in good shape.

I think our biggest issue is with the connectors on the distributor and at the other end where the wires go through the cam tower to the heads. I priced an OEM set for my car and I feel the price is extreme at $339 for six wires (and a short coil wire). Then I saw the Clewett wires for $574! That to me is just crazy. I like our host's option of the DIY set of wires for $169, more reasonable and with the right ends fitted. But not available for my car, sheesh.

Mark
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Clewett wires are $574? I had no idea they were that much.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
what? me worry?

Quote:
I think the consenus is to avoid Magnecore if that helps.
WTF?

I guess we will stop installing Mangecores on our builds...

Where do these rumors start? oh yea it the internet...

Clewett Gen 1 wires had some problems..... water entry into the connector or something " don't quote me on it"

Take a walk around the pits at a club race, or DE at look how many people are using Magnecore...

Ooopsss.. I have magnecores on both of my racecars....

I am going to run out and rip these wires off and replace them
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I bought magnecor wires from clewett engineering for my twin plug application. I think that they worked out great. Not cheap - but you DO get what you pay for.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Do whatever you want.

It's just my experience and what I've read. The rubber boot on my number 6 cylinder split and fell off. And I'm not talking about the seal, but the boot that covers the plug inside the head.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 08-14-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I replaced a brand new set of Magnacores on my car as I thought a miss at idle was due to the beru connectors being loose. After installing a custom set (that were very tight) the problem is still present. So my only issue with the Magnacores is a fit that is more loose than I prefer. If you want to try them at a discount shoot me an email.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: