Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Zeitronix connection to RPM & MAP

I just received my Zeitronix datalogger with LCD display and MAP sensor. The kit looks very neat and installation should be straight forward.

According to the instructions, the RPM signal should be taken from the low voltage side of the coil. Can I use a signal from the tach instead?

Also, where is the best place to pick up vacum/boost signal for the MAP sensor?

I have been going back and forth on the LM systems from Innovate, and although it seems to have many possibilities, I have seen many frustrated posts about getting it to work. So, I ended up with the Zeitronix... The downside to this is the lack of on board logging storage, so you have to have the laptop hooked up to log data for analysis and tuning. I have ordered the necessary parts to build a small "data logging memory plug" that plugs into the serial port on the Zeitronix as any other computer dongle. I am basing this on a small micro-SD card reader. The micro-SD cards can be had with up to 8 og 16GB of storage (if not more) and this should be plenty for logging a cross country trip.
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I wired the RPM signal to the tach wire, and tapped off the boost hose to the wastegate for the MAP.

You can also use the ZAVT-1 with a solenoid on the boost line to your WUR for mixture control.

BTW I would be really interested in your onboard logging, if you get it to work well.

Last edited by WinRice; 09-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
When you tap the waste gate hose, you only get boost. I'm interested in absolute pressure, with vacuum as well. There should be a tap at the manifold somewhere, and I would guess that this vacuum/boost signal is to be found other places in the engine compartment as well. Question is where?
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This is from memory, but I think the wastegate hose connects to the base of the throttle body, so you should get vacumn/boost.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I hope you get your Zeitronics to work well and get the data logging and boost to work.

I don't want to sound like a broken record on here plugging the Daytona Sensors unit that our host sells, and I am involved in the distribution of this great unit, so I am biased I guess. I love mine that I have permanently installed.

The Daytona Sensors Wego IV hooks straight into the tach signal on your car. I have one permanently installed on my 1973 2.7 MFI engine, and have a GM Map sensor hooked up to the vacuum line. It does log 2 hours of data on the fly and you just download it and analyze it later.

Our host sells the Wego IV for just over $400 USD and this includes everything. Sensor, cables, software, datalogging, and tach hookup. You do have to supply the MAP/Boost sensor, but there is an input for that.

I know you are committed to the Zeitronix, which is a good unit, I just want other Pelicans to know that there is a good, easy to install alternative that is a good value and very accurate and well built. And you don't need all those boxes and wires that the competition needs and the extra $$$.

here is a photo:

RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990
Old 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
beancounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
This is from memory, but I think the wastegate hose connects to the base of the throttle body, so you should get vacumn/boost.
Wastegate hose is typically connected to the intercooler, which is ported vacuum rather than manifold vacuum. To get a manifold vac signal, you usually tap into one of the lines that are plumbed to the base of the throttle body, below the throttle plate.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Wastegate hose is typically connected to the intercooler, which is ported vacuum rather than manifold vacuum. To get a manifold vac signal, you usually tap into one of the lines that are plumbed to the base of the throttle body, below the throttle plate.
Bingo!

I checked last night. When I plumbed in my EBC I had to run a line to the base of the throttle body, I tapped off of that for my MAP.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
I connected mine to the tach with no problems at all...mi car is a 964 though, not sure if there is a difference.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
This is the only line I can find on the throttle body, below the throttle plate. Its going to the front side of the WUR. Would this be the correct place to tap for a signal to the MAp sensor? (red arrow). Btw, what is the connector in the green circle. Its never been connected as long as I've had the car.

Her is a snap of the Zeitronix kit. It seems like a good quality kit. I like the solid connectors for the engine compartment, and the wire for the O2 sensor is more than long enough to reach the controller which I'm placing under the seat. The wire for the display is an ordinary phone cable, with a phone connector for the controller. I think it will be a straight forward install, and I'll report my progress.

1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Garage
My car is a little different but I would certainly tap to the line you have pointed out for the MAP.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I have trouble getting an RPM reading at this stage. I have tried both terminals on the coil, and the black/purple tach wire.

The negative terminal on the coil give me intermittent signals around 300-400 RPM while the positive terminal give me readings in excess of 25000 rpm. The Tach wire give me a zero reading. I have scaled the arpm input to a 6 cyl. engine..

Any ideas?
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
So, the Zeitronix install is complete except for the O2 sensor bung welding that I need some help with.

With the exception of RPM reading problems (previous post), the hole install was really straight forward. My laptop can log data, and everything worked at first try.

I hate lose cables in the car and nasty home made connections under the dash, so I made two sets of wiring looms, one to the engine compartment and one to the fusebox, all wrapped in shrink tube. It makes the installation much more tidy. I included a couple of extra wires for future use...

I mounted the Zeitronix controller and the connections under the passenger seat. The wires to the engine is routed through the transmission linkage tunnel, and over the transmission and in to the engine together with the reverse signal from the tranny.

I mounted the connectors next to the rear-right shock tower.

Temporary mounting of the MAP behind (or actually in front of) the WUR

MAP signal from hose between throtle body and WUR with a simple T-connector.

Very simple installation under pass. seat compared to some of the other installations I've seen here on the forum. Spare cables for future use...

The LCD display is made for the ashtray location. Easy double sided tape install for now. Good display with excellent contrast, and user defined parameters; here with default settinggs

I'm impressed with the simple install, and the nice kit from Zeitronix. I know most of the crowd here prefers the LM-x from Innovate, but seeing that many have problems with the install I opted for Zeitronix. Good price too.

The downside to the Zeitronix, is that you have to use a computer to log data. No internal buffering. So, I have started a project to make a small battery driven dongle to connect to the Zeitronix serial port. This will hopefully log to a small built- in micro SD reader in the dongle.
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Nicely done!

For the display, I bent a metal angle and used the ashtray bracket screws to secure the angle to the dash, then used double stick on the back side of the display to the angle. You might want to offset the display slightly to the left so you can get your pinky finger in there to hit the 'max' button.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Still have problems with the RPM signal, any suggestions?
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I'm using the tach signal wire with no problems.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Just checked mine, and I definitely used the tach signal wire.

Do you have a stock ignition? MSD or other aftermarket?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I have stock ignition.......
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-26-2010, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I bought Zeitronix some months ago and like to install so I am subscribe and cross finger for your results...
944 TURBO S 1989 WHITE/BLACK # 1 944 TURBO S 1989 #2
911 S 1970 Targa /ex porsche werks car!
911 S 1969 Targa (under rebuild)
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
And you stock tach works fine, without any jumping or weird behavior?

Have you traced the wire all the way to the tach?

I tapped mine off of the ECU under the drivers seat, but that only works on lambda cars.

You might run a test wire from the ZT-2 to the tach itself and try it there, just for fun.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I have tried both sides of the coil AND directly from the tach. Tach itself works fine until I unplug the black/violet wire to connect directly to the Zeitronix.

Now I'm playing around with the grounding for Zeitronix. I first led +12V and ground from the fusebox in front (a grounding point under the vacuum booster. Now I've picked up ground from the CDI without any better result. There is a signal ground on the CDI connector that is used for the coil, but I don't if I should try this.....
1972 BMW 3.0S
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: