Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Garage Queen

Garage
Another rear coil over question?

Does my 930 have reinforced rear shock mounts? I'm looking to update my suspension and thought about rear coil overs. I know I should reinforce the shock mount housing and it looks like is was done. As I recall, this has been discussed and someone has said some 1987 models have reinforced housings.
The first picture is of my 930 and notice the railing support on the housing.

This picture is of my 1986 targa and notice it does not have any supports.

Also, that is not rust on the 930, that is glue and I don't have a sound pad.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

Those are the factory reinforcements that started at some point in 1987 (my 87 has them) . . . I don't know if it is enough for coil overs, however . . .
Old 05-19-2012, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It really depends on how aggressively you intend to drive and what spring rates you are going to run. Are you using the coil overs as helper springs or deleting the torsion bars?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Garage Queen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR-Merlin View Post
It really depends on how aggressively you intend to drive and what spring rates you are going to run. Are you using the coil overs as helper springs or deleting the torsion bars?
Thanks for the responses. The car is 100% street and I'm not sure I would see the benefit of coil overs alone or with torsion bars. I guess I like the idea of coil overs, but not sold on the usefulness for my car.

The fact the car has reinforced mounting makes me considered coil overs more.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am going with coil overs for my build.

new member 930 project

I know Jim just went with a set on his car as well.

Coilovers,...WOW!...speechless

Jim's car is on the road, mine is still in the build process. I am about to do coil overs in another local guys Carrera in June so I will have my first hand account of driving change then.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I will chime in here, when i talked to clint this is what he said, and i quote...

"i have used 400 pound rear springs on my car for almost 3 years now without bracing and no problems at all. I was intending to use my car for a guinea pig, but i dont see any need for bracing. "

now this car only sees the street, no track, and he said anything over 450 he would use braces...

I am running 400s in the rear with bracing and no torsion bars and it rides completely diffferent.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Coil springs are an improvement because they are adjustable and easy to change. Torsion bars give the car a slightly lower center of gravity over coil springs because the weight of the springs is lower in the chassis. Lower center of gravity is a good thing.

Going to rear coil springs takes all the rear end weight of the car including weight transfer to the rear during acceleration off the spring plate bushings.
If using urethane or rubber spring plate bushings they are very stiff to move because of sticktion and that makes a harsher less controlled ride over bumps and humps in the road no matter what.

Installing Elephant Racing polybronze or Rebel Racing spring plate bushings will eliminate that sticktion and that will make torsion bars ride just as smooth and nice as coil springs because a spring is a spring.

That type of spring plate bushing upgrade also keeps the rear wheel alighnment from changing during hard cornering and acceleration.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
I've gone native

I would recommend the stock torsion bars with new bilstein yellow sport shocks and sport inserts up front. This change made a significant improvement in my cars ride and handling. I actually cancelled an order I had for the coilovers helper setup.
Somethin to consider, plus the TBs are somewhat ht adjustable too. With this setup, my car handles as well or better than my stock 993tt.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: