Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Coilovers,...WOW!...speechless

ok, to start 1980 930 3.3

past history:

to the best of my knowledge the car rode on stock torsion bars, stock rear shocks, and somewhat new front struts.

the past owner gave me some paper work from two well known suspension shops in my area.

the car had been aligned, corner balanced, lowered, by these two shops, twice in a 5 year period (not sure why, never asked)

the only porsche i have owned and driven prior to this was a 1973 914, which i do not consider to even be in the same ballpark.

my 930 had a "old" jarring feeling. it was not a smooth ride what so ever. it felt like it would "hop" over bumps and dips. the only thing i can relate this to is my 66 mustang with 5 leaf rear springs

today, after a long winter rebuild (no idea what im doing...complete winter overhaul begins...) i finally got her back on the ground and took my first shakedown ride around the block...

i was originally on the fence about switching to coilovers, and after 15+ conversations with Clint at Rebel Racing, i pulled the trigger

he talked me into 275lb front springs with new sport inserts, and 400lb rear springs with sport shocks...

after pulling out of the driveway and hitting my first bump at the end of my street i was speechless. I got a child like grin from ear to ear like it was chirstmas.

i am sure this was a combination of all new bushings and shocks, but the car just felt "normal" and "new". I wish i new more suspension terminology, but all i could say is wow!

i wish this was the frist thing i did two years ago after buying the car. It is such a smooth, steady, solid ride. The car feels so much more "MODERN".

i just want to say, if anyone is on the fence about this, i would recommend this to anyone! I will report back when i actually get some more miles. I will be giving a ride to a couple fellow porsche guys who have asked me to see the difference. I will see if i can get them to chime in on this thread also.

sorry for the long winded non-sense, but i am truly speechless to how different the car feels

Last edited by jimtweet; 04-29-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Lurkasaurus

Great news! The only bad thing I hear about coil-overs is that you can run as much tire. Is that so?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Limited front neg camber adjustment and tire width.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i run 275/40/18 on 18x12 in the rear, and 235/40/18 on 18x9.5 up front...

i dont see any issues at all with negative camber. the diameter of the springs is the same as the dust shields that sit on stock struts

i am trying to set up a appointment now to be balanced and aligned, hopefully mid next week.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Depends on how much neg camber your going for. To get 1.5 in front I went with Wevo Camberking and had to remove the dust covers as it was hitting the body at the top.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very nice to hear about the success of the coilovers. After all the trashing of Clint and Rebel Racing it's good to know he is still in business.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

R.I.P.

jim, this is good to hear. I have been kicking around the idea of going coil overs on my car but have been told it's TOO "race car" feeling to be comfortable on the street.

Is there a weight savings by going coil over? I would think so
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
jim, this is good to hear. I have been kicking around the idea of going coil overs on my car but have been told it's TOO "race car" feeling to be comfortable on the street.

Is there a weight savings by going coil over? I would think so
hey man i drove my STi daily on 6k/8k Stance coils, with a TON of other suspension work, and it was stiff, maybe a bit much for the street, BUT, everyone has their own feelings on "stiff". I liked it, gf, not so much.

i did alot of reading and everyone kept telling me anything under 500lb springs and you will be extremely disappointed.

After talking to Clint he recommended 275 fronts and 400 rears. He said this is just about perfect for street use and will keep the car very flat.

Again, i only drove around the block twice and was simply amazed at how different the car felt. Its so solid and smooth. I think i would consider 450s in the rear, anything past that i think would be to much for street use...

but by no means is this race car feeling...
Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
R.I.P.

Nice Subi, so you sourced everything from Clint @ Rebel?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtweet View Post
hey man i drove my STi daily on 6k/8k Stance coils, with a TON of other suspension work, and it was stiff, maybe a bit much for the street, BUT, everyone has their own feelings on "stiff". I liked it, gf, not so much.

i did alot of reading and everyone kept telling me anything under 500lb springs and you will be extremely disappointed.

After talking to Clint he recommended 275 fronts and 400 rears. He said this is just about perfect for street use and will keep the car very flat.

Again, i only drove around the block twice and was simply amazed at how different the car felt. Its so solid and smooth. I think i would consider 450s in the rear, anything past that i think would be to much for street use...

but by no means is this race car feeling...
Man that thing is nice...made me miss mine

ok back on topic..must be nice getting it back on the road...post some pics of the 930 with the new color
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Good the hear Jim, glad your car is back on the road man!!! I am concerned about tire width on my build though. Worst case I will do some fender massaging and add spacers.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Jim,
So you went with coilovers (400/275) and ditched the torsion bars? If yes then man, those coilovers sounds light! As for the concern for wheel width and camber. My 930 has 12" rear and 10" front wide wheels plus it had over 3 deg camber on both front and rears which I backed down to around 1.5 deg cambers since I don't track much. I have to admit that the front has monoballs, front fenders were rolled and the rear has 935 style spring arms with shaved down toe bolts.

As other said...good to see your 930 back on the road.

p.s. That's one nice STi!

Last edited by MikeD930; 04-30-2012 at 04:55 AM..
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm at 300/450 for the street with my build. Looks like I am within the window of rates.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
Jim,
So you went with coilovers (400/275) and ditched the torsion bars? If yes then man, those coilovers sounds light! As for the concern for wheel width and camber. My 930 has 12" rear and 10" front wide wheels plus it had over 3 deg camber on both front and rears which I backed down to around 1.5 deg cambers since I don't track much. I have to admit that the front has monoballs, front fenders were rolled and the rear has 935 style spring arms with shaved down toe bolts.

As other said...good to see your 930 back on the road.

p.s. That's one nice STi!
yes, NO MORE TORSION bars, everyone i talked to said those rates were light, but after talking to clint i took his advise, and i am very happy with the results....

like i said i would consider 450s in the rear, but i think anything past that is just to much for the street

yes, everything was ordered from Clint

and yes i miss my STi also man...
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Got Boost?

I dont think tire size is an issue
I have Hoosier 275/40/17s on the front of my car and 315s on the back
I dont see problems with the coils
- And yes great upgrade no doubt
SPA #227
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
I've gone native

I had an equally great experience simply switching to bilstein sport rears and sport inserts up front.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt surgeon View Post
I had an equally great experience simply switching to bilstein sport rears and sport inserts up front.
im sure it had to do with all the bushings and shocks i replaced as wells, but i am still amazed

Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: