Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

intake restriction on turbo intake

3.2 turbo conversion.Newly rebuilt 3ldz turbo leaking oil on intake side and blowing oil up the compressor discharge into intake manifold. no oil on exhaust side. Could it be to much restriction on after market cone filter (cheap e bay one) on the compressor intake side?
this is a smoking mess!!! Need help!!!
Thank You Joe D

Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

One thing I have learned over the years on the Pelican BBS, and from my own experience, is that 99% of the time that a rebuilt turbo leaks is because the rebuild was not done properly!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It's possible.. the only way to find out is remove that air filter and put the origonal one back on and drive it.. and see what happens.

It'll probably still smoke a while.. maybe forever.
If it does please bring it to south florida and drive it around alot, there's way too many mosquitos down here.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the 3LDZ is a stock 930 turbo unit. Should you have the oil feed line restricted? Not sure how much oil pressure the 3.2 is making. I know it's necessary when installing an aftermarket turbo on the 930 as the oil pressure is to high for the turbo seals to handle.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Joe when I had a turbo go bad on me first thing I did was do a scavange pump test to make sure it was the turbo leaking. I assume if you take off the boost pipe and look down it is full of oil?

Please see videos on how to do it.
Scavenge Test Idle after 3 min running - YouTube
Scavenge Test Idle @ 1,050 while running hot after 20 min 2, 2 5 and 3K RPM - YouTube
Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I've gone native

Also be sure it's not overfilled with oil.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

HoyaBear

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoyabear
Do a scavange pump test first as oilonly suggested. Not that hard to do and I've seen this be the problem a number of times...
'86 930: 3.4 Andial build, Web GT2 Evo cams, Carrillo rods, ported/polished heads, MSD 6530, B&B headers/exh + intercooler, K27HF, 1 bar spring, Tial wastegate, Andial FE, Lindsey Fuchs. Back in black!!!
Past:997S cab; '88 930; '86 951; C5 Vette; 4th Gen Z28; 3rd Gen Trans Am GTA; '71 Z28
Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

He's probably not using a scavenger pump, unless it is an electric one, as this is a 3.2 911 engine . . .
Old 06-02-2012, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie's.930 View Post
He's probably not using a scavenger pump, unless it is an electric one, as this is a 3.2 911 engine . . .
Missed that, sorry. I wonder then does he have an oil drip tank bolted to the turbo or just a line going to the crankcase.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feed back! I am using a electric scavenging pump back to oil drain plug.I am using a drip can thats not vented. When I rev the engine unto about 4k rpm thats when I see the oil start to come up the turbo charge pipe. I am using a small needle valve to throttle the oil to the turbo. When I rev the engine, the oil pressure with the valve fully open is well over 60 psi. With the valve throttled I see less oil coming up the turbo charge pipe. I am thinking I am maybe supplying to much oil and pressure ? This turbo was purchased from a fellow pelican that had the turbo rebuilt from Brian at Rarly 8. It was not used by fellow pelican. I am the first user.

Last edited by Joeride9; 06-03-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Joe a vent in your drip can would provide a lot of info as the oil pressure would relieve through that instead of your turbo if your scavange system is not on par with your turbo oil feed system. JMHO. When I did my scavange pump test the scavange pump was able to suck any oil thrown at it. At high rev no way would the oil feed overwhelm the scavange pump, it was way strong enough.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I've gone native

I think Al is right ^^
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Yes !I see the vent being a good way to reduce pressure. I can't believe I didn't think of that!I be willing to bet thats the answer. Will do and give feed back on out come.
THANK YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I've gone native

My fs headers came with an unvented can, whenever the oil is near 3/4 full it will puff on start up, brand new turbo btw.
This is a major advantage that Brian's headers have over all am brands. The factory vents it for a reason.
maybe drain off a qt and see what happens?
c
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Will check oil level when hot. I keep it at half way on stick when hot.
Thanks again everyone for the help.
Joe D
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeride9 View Post
Thanks for all the feed back! I am using a electric scavenging pump back to oil drain plug.I am using a drip can thats not vented.
Joeride,
Are you still using an electric oil pump? If so, do you have any recommendations? I am installing turbo on 3.2 engine, but will not change out cams for the stock 930 scavenge pump.
How did you plumb in the pump, and where did you locate it?
Thanks for any pointers.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: