Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Does anyone have a passenger rear trailing arm that I can borrow for measurements?

I am having difficulty aligning my 930 and I think the passenger rear trailing arm may be bent. I am looking for a straight (never wrecked/damaged) passenger rear trailing arm to take measurements so I can determine if my trailing arm is bent and if so how much. Does anyone have one off their car that they won't be using for a couple of weeks? I have looked into trying to buy one but everywhere I look they are in the $1,000 range. Since I am not certain this is the issue I would hate to spend that only to find that mine is completely normal.

I will be happy to pay shipping both ways (obviously) and whatever you think is fair for the use of your part. To clarify the car is a '78 so I would need a 78-89 arm, the part number from Porsche is 93033151205.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated. The car in question, help me bring her back to perfect!

Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What is the difficulty? Might be good to check the trailing arm pickup points on the torsion bar tube for damage and the trailing arm and springplate rubber bushings that cold flow and change shape altering alighnment after 34 years.

Installing mono balls in the trailing arms in place of the origonal rubber bushings make it way easier to adjust camber in the rear suspension because instead of compressing old dry rotted rubber bushings to do that the spherical bearing in the monobal pivots allowing the trailing arm to rotate (like your forearm) during camber adjustments with no resistance.
The origonal rubber bushings will have collapsed and cold flowed away from their orgonal shape from the cars weight sitting on them the last 34 years so weather sealed monoballs in place of the old trailing arm bushings is a good upgrade.
They go for $200 from rennline and a little more from elephant racing. Pelican sells both.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
What is the difficulty? Might be good to check the trailing arm pickup points on the torsion bar tube for damage and the trailing arm and springplate rubber bushings that cold flow and change shape altering alighnment after 34 years.

Installing mono balls in the trailing arms in place of the origonal rubber bushings make it way easier to adjust camber in the rear suspension because instead of compressing old dry rotted rubber bushings to do that the spherical bearing in the monobal pivots allowing the trailing arm to rotate (like your forearm) during camber adjustments with no resistance.
The origonal rubber bushings will have collapsed and cold flowed away from their orgonal shape from the cars weight sitting on them the last 34 years so weather sealed monoballs in place of the old trailing arm bushings is a good upgrade.
They go for $200 from rennline and a little more from elephant racing. Pelican sells both.
Thanks for the advice. My passenger rear camber is around -2.5*... the car is about a half and inch lower than Euro. I was told that was too much negative camber to adjust out/get it into spec. I know for a fact that this car was in an accident where it was hit in the passenger rear, so I am guessing that the PO could not see that the arm was bent (if it indeed is) and re-installed it.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
pputkowski,

I would have to agree with JFairman on this.. very valid points.

Additionally, from what I've seen over the years on these cars after a hit as you describe, either the pick-up point is damaged as suggested above, or the trailing arm is broken. I've never seen a bent one, as they're pretty robust.

Good luck working it out!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
pputkowski,

I would have to agree with JFairman on this.. very valid points.

Additionally, from what I've seen over the years on these cars after a hit as you describe, either the pick-up point is damaged as suggested above, or the trailing arm is broken. I've never seen a bent one, as they're pretty robust.

Good luck working it out!
This is good news! Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After further investigation I have found that my problem (alignment issues) was poorly diagnosed.

Took the car somewhere else, now she's good to go! Huge weight off my shoulders.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: