Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I took a little different approach on mine, as I wanted to always be able to return the console back to stock if needed.

My gauge mount slides into the hole in the center, and out, if access to the wire harnesses is needed or other service. then it secures to the console using the two existing screw holes from the plastic stopper that was at the back of the hole in the console from the cassette holder.

I used Koso, AFR and EGT gauges, along with an Andial Intercooler before and after cooler gauge. The dial is for the Andial fuel enrichment system. I laid it out in CAD and lasered out several prototypes and bent them up on the press brake until I was able to get the bracket somewhat perfected. If anyone is interested in going this route, I have a few spare brackets, or could laser and bend up some more, if there is interest. I had the bracket satin powdercoated, so it just blends in with the console. Keep in mind the Koso AFR gauge had to have the Main harness to the O2 extended, due to the length to the rear of the car..

I ve got a VDO boost gauge for the clock position.

Hope this gives you some other ideas too.

Ben
'79, 930

Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Nicely done!
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 08-14-2012, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That looks really nice!

I've been in contact with a few gage manufacturers in hopes of having a custom gage made for the dash as that is a better place for critical readings. Haven't had much luck. Who do you guys use for custom VDO style gages?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
North Hollywood Speedo gets my vote.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
That's OK it shows one more place you can mount stuff. ... All that alarm crap is going to be cut out which is why I am looking into the gage mounting options.

Brian, IMO before you cut out the "old alarm crap" be sure you can reconnect back the "key" wires the right way. I tried to remove my UNGO box, and guess what? Could not figured out how to crank the car w/o it... had to put it back in, and it is still there.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
Does your car have this console? Look at all the space I have. I just made an aluminum plate and painted it with crinkle paint, looks great I think and will be adding a colt gauge and some toggle switches as well.
Updated

I added the egt and boost control. Not sure the boost control is in a good spot but it looks o good I have to just leave it
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
Sorry about the crooked neck.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Banned

How were you able to hang the car from the ceiling?!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
new updated pic of console
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I didn't want to cut my console and didn't want the hang-it-under-the-dash look like we had in the "olden" days (70s), so I opted, like many others, to put the boost gauge where the clock was and decided on the passenger's foot well carpeted kick-panel for the AFR gauge. It's actually easier to view than if was obscured by the shift lever/knob and steering wheel, and making a hole in the kick-panel carpeting disappear is pretty easy compared with one in the console.

[IMG][/IMG]
By United States Marines.

Last edited by nkowi; 03-31-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I'm just finishing up my boost/AF gauge install, I took an AEM failsafe gauge and stuffed it into an OE gauge (Will replace my clock). I'll do a complete write up on it once I actually have everything wired and ready to go but you can get an idea of another way to incorporate a proper boost and AF gauge.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
cool
Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstl_Pete View Post
I'm just finishing up my boost/AF gauge install, I took an AEM failsafe gauge and stuffed it into an OE gauge (Will replace my clock). I'll do a complete write up on it once I actually have everything wired ....
Great idea. Please post on this thread when you open a new one describing the gauge change. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
War Vet

Garage
Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Try Aimsports.com if you really want something readable for tuning. Nice product line.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstl_Pete View Post
I'm just finishing up my boost/AF gauge install, I took an AEM failsafe gauge and stuffed it into an OE gauge (Will replace my clock). I'll do a complete write up on it once I actually have everything wired and ready to go but you can get an idea of another way to incorporate a proper boost and AF gauge.
Pete,
Sent you PM. Interested about your Failsafe installation.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
ddelano

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
I just finished one for a friends Turbo

The 1st pic shows 2 different face plates

- one for my 930 that has Special Wishes unit as provide by AJR

- the other one is Lincoln's console above but with slightly diferent configuration> It previously had a set of cassette boxes. We closed the hole, re-drilled & recovered..

Pretty sure I have the same AJR center console as the one in the photo above. See my PIC with a cardboard mock up of the change I am planning and second photo with as it is now. Planning clock up top and 52mm AFR gauge below that. Open to ideas / suggestions on how to make this ideal. I plan to to recover the center portion with black vinyl to match the OEM gauge cluster look (where the black cardboard is). :-)

Old 04-13-2020, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelano View Post
Pretty sure I have the same AJR center console as the one in the photo above. See my PIC with a cardboard mock up of the change I am planning and second photo with as it is now. Planning clock up top and 52mm AFR gauge below that. Open to ideas / suggestions on how to make this ideal. I plan to to recover the center portion with black vinyl to match the OEM gauge cluster look (where the black cardboard is). :-)
Yes, your console as shown is AJR... while the burgundy one is a factory 930S console getting a face plate make-over due to someone cutting up the original.

The large face plate laying on the bench in the 1st picture is a refresh for an AJR console.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-13-2020, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

ddelano

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Yes, your console as shown is AJR... while the burgundy one is a factory 930S console getting a face plate make-over due to someone cutting up the original.

The large face plate laying on the bench in the 1st picture is a refresh for an AJR console.
Do you do restorations of these? I'm having a new aluminum plate made at a local fabrication shop and am planning to cover it myself with 'Porsche' vinyl with my new cutouts. Is that 'proper' for an AJR installation? It will be just like the original... Can you post a pic of the AJR you worked on? Were these special wishes ordered only?
Old 04-13-2020, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
ddelano

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelano View Post
Do you do restorations of these? I'm having a new aluminum plate made at a local fabrication shop and am planning to cover it myself with 'Porsche' vinyl with my new cutouts. Is that 'proper' for an AJR installation? It will be just like the original... Can you post a pic of the AJR you worked on? Were these special wishes ordered only?
Here is a photo from a brochure I have from AJR... see pic. For some reason the forum keeps flipping this photo sideways. Its fine on my end...?

Old 04-13-2020, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
console , guages