Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I do not think anyone has proven using the 930 WUR on a turbo SC works even if made adjustable. I assume you are doing a blow through where a 930 sucks through.

Lowering control pressure via a 930 or other turbo style WUR may run up against the fuel delivery limit of the stock SC fuel distributor depending on your hp goals.

If me I might look into putting an boost adjustable regulator on the fuel distributor return line. The regulator style the EFI turbo conversion guys use to bump there fuel pressure on boost.

Restriction on the fuel distributor return line should increase fuel delivery potential over just lowering control pressure like the 930 WUR works.

I think the early VW rabbit turbo conversion guys used to do this.

Early SC turbo conversion kits I think just adjusted the stock system rich.

Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
The setup is very much like the BAE kit so it is suck through.
I now have the correct type of WUR, 0 438 140 112 from an 82-89 3.3 turbo to try.
Thanks for the info on the 'boost adjustable regulator on the fuel distributor return line' I will look into that.
I've ordered a CIS pressure test kit from Pelican and will test my standard WUR pressures first, then ounce the car is at least running I'll fit the Turbo WUR if needed and see what happens whilst monitoring the AFR.
If its not right I'll make the WUR adjustable and see if I can get it to run right with good AFR.
I'm looking for 280-300 HP goal.
I've read the BAE manual and the SOK supercharger install and they don't seem to say much at all about fueling!
Just ordered a Tial 46mm with 0.5 bar spring, last bits I need are some intercooler piping and think I'm ready to start.
1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I forgot the BAE is a sucker.
Anyone want a BAE turbo kit?

Your factory style fueling approach should work great with some tinkering.

I would probably try playing with the stock WUR first as a base line assuming a wide band O2 and or EGT.

You are way ahead of anything the aftermarket did back when .

Best of luck.

Last edited by 911st; 11-16-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Hello Gavin:

Glad to see you are making progress! The best advice I received on fueling was to put an air fuel meter first to determine whether I needed to do any mods at all. From everything I've seen and read, I would say the SOK manuals don't address the fueling because they feel the CIS will compensate for it. In my case I got a digital warm-up regulator and have adequate fuel for 0.5 bar. If you can adjust the WUR, I would say you will be in good shape. Using a turbo WUR as you did was also offered as a suggestion so I'm interested in seeing how it works out for you. Keep at it!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Any updates on this??
Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Tial wastegate has finally arrived.

Just fabricating some parts to mount and hold the intercooler inplace. I'll get the pics of that on when I can.

Encountered an issue with the silicone bonnets I got for the throttle body and air flow meter body.
Both silicone bonnets are way to tall to fit!

So I'm having a friend of a friend look at possibly fabricate some steel bonnets, very similar to the ones used by SOK (see images below, from Dr J's SuperCharger install).

1980 SC Flatnose, Euro 3.0, LW Flywheel, 993 Cams, Port & Polish Heads, RS Cut Valves, MSD 6AL, Blaster Coil, Magnacor Leads, Boxster Brakes, WEVO Mounts, TRG Roll Bars, Rollcage, RSR rear fenders, OE Short Sift, K27 7200 Turbo Conversion, OBX Headers, Tial Wastegate, EFI MicroSquirt v3

Last edited by gavinc69; 12-11-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Just made a boost gauge holder to fit in place of the clock.
I think its come out ok and was quick, easy and free

Last edited by gavinc69; 12-16-2012 at 06:42 AM..
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Installed :

Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage

5" (127mm) mild steel tube
150mm x 150mm mild steel plate
3" (76mm) mild steel tube
5" (127mm) silicone coupler

Parts required for making the Air Flow bonnet.

Need to cut the plate to 5" round and weld to top of 5" tube.
Cut 5" tube down to required height (aprox 4" high but will check that)
Cut 3" hole in side of 5" pipe near to its top and weld length of 3" tube to it.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

You can get by without any additional fueling as long as you can drop the warm control pressure a bit. BTW, there are some of the aftermarket ricer parts guys that have the silicone boots that will fit the 5" (short 5x3 elbow, although a box will work just fine).
01 Boxster
RIP, Early_S_Man & RoninLB
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

The thumb rule is typically 17-20 hp per lb of boost. That bears out because my motor was making 170 is so and after turbo and EFI mine calculates out to roughly 270 280 hp based on the duty cycle and such
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Nice boost gauge. Looks great.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Not had much free time but very slowly getting there.
All the air flow tube and intercooler tubes will be sprayed black plus all silicone is black
to try and get a sort of factory look as much as possible to the hole setup.

Zork tube is being made right now and generally I think I have all parts needed to install. Just need to finish off bits and bobs to progress and do the install.

Part way through building the Air Flow Meter bonnet.
Cleaned up the welds a bit and sat it on top of the Meter.
Had some weld put around the lower edge to stop the bonnet lifting or coming off under boost. Silicone coupler will slide over and clip will hold it in place.

Getting an idea of how the intercooler will look when mounted
and some of the 90degree 2.5" silicone fittings.

Last edited by gavinc69; 01-20-2013 at 08:48 AM..
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
A bit premature but not long now

Old 01-20-2013, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Looking good. I really like the true DIY-functional approach.

Are you missing some of your heater ducting on the right side of the engine?
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
The headers have no heat exchangers on them so I've removed all heater piping and I'm replacing the two engine heaters ducts (either side of the fan) with block off versions. I've got some fibre glass ones that I'm using as molds to make a set of Carbon Fibre ones. Also making a Carbon Fibre rear fuse cover..
I'll post the pics as I get them done
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Excellent Post! Please keep posting pictures!

This thread has me contemplating doing something like this to one of my n/a cars.

I didn't realize that I had so many of the necessary parts just lying around in boxes from my 930.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Would be good to see another turbo conversion being done....

Zork tube has just arrived today.............

Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Made one side of the Fan block off......not bad for a first attempt..

Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Bad LT

Nice work. I'm getting parts together for adding some boost to my 3ltr SC motor so am following your progress with interest.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: