Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Canucks Fan

Question What was your 4 sp. doing before you rebuilt it?

Hi
My tranny is in need of work, sometimes its hard to get into 1st, movement in the shifter under power in 2nd, clunky shift from 1st to 2nd compared to 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th.
What was your 4 speed doing that led you to a rebuild?
Finn

Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds more like shifter bushings than tranny issues. Hard to get into first in pretty normal. Do you double clutch it or pull it into second before you put it in first?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

New Wevo shifter & coupler
Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Classic need of re-build in our cars is crunchy from 1-2 or 2-3 since those are the synchs that go
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Just adjusted my clutch after similar symptoms. Took two minutes. Hopefully that's it.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
How many miles are on it?

Why hasn't anyone asked how many miles are on it?

My 930 transmission had 85k miles and needed dog toothed gears for 1st and 2nd. It also needed stops and a sliding ring.

My 930 trans was very difficult to get into 1st even with new shifter bushings..

Now she shifts like butter

Learn to double clutch

'87 930, 3.3 liter, K27 hybrid, Kokeln IC, Andial, B&B, Borla, 17" Supercups.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

gearhead

Quote:
Why hasn't anyone asked how many miles are on it?

My 930 transmission had 85k miles and needed dog toothed gears for 1st and 2nd. It also needed stops and a sliding ring.

My 930 trans was very difficult to get into 1st even with new shifter bushings..

Now she shifts like butter

Learn to double clutch
Miles are meaningless if the original owner drove the car like a monkey. Or maybe original owner drove it perfectly for 100k mi and 2nd owner drove it like a monkey for 5k.

Your double clutch comment is the most important comment in the whole thread.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
i have grinding issues with changing down from 4th to 3rd anytime above 3k revs, Double de clutch works well and eliminates it. i have just re bushed the gear linkage and adjusted it. Just need to put the SWEPCO 201 in it to see it it has helped. If not looks like a synchro issue. Its a shame as all other gears change nicely.
so a big yes to double de clutching.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Mine was apparently driven by the fore mentioned monkey, prior to my purchase. So at 30K on the clock it was done. Grinding up shift & down shift into 2nd & 3rd, no matter what trick from the book you tried. The bearing rumblings were not acceptable either.
Replaced the syncro rings, balk rings & blocks, and all bearings. Then hand polished the sliders, forks & guide rods.
All is happy now, and has been for the last 64K miles. 1st gear still occasionally complains...but that's a 930 4spd. for you!
Mark
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Mine has issues now 2nd to 3rd, but only when warmed up. Double clutch seems to do nothing to ease the grind.

'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: