Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Chain fence eating turbo

I highly doubt you're shortening the life much at such low boost. Flog away (as long as AFR's and timing are in check)!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
I'm seriously looking into getting a 930 box over a g50 because it's strong And it has taller gears so I don't feel like I'm going to kill myself. It's either that or I'm selling this beast.
If you can swing the G50, do it. The plain 1987-89 Carrera gearbox is fantastic for a street driven Turbo.
The 4-speed is bullet-proof, yes, but the 5-speeds synchros are oh so sweet in comparison, much faster and smoother shifting.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
these build threads slay me

I want to turbocharge my 911!

I turbocharged my 911 and want more power!!

I turbocharged my 911 and now I'm terrified of the power!!!

I turbocharged my 911 I'm terrified of it and now I want to revert it to stock and sell it (*queue sadtrombone*)

sorry.. couldn't resist 8-)

I'm w/ Tippy btw ... or better yet... Chris. 930 boxes shift like 6 bags of ass! Sigh...

ps. sweet build... agreed, nice and clean - ENJOY IT!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

^^^ LOL <--- I initialized as properly should have.

My 3.2 was turbo'd forever and the only thing that showed wear were the piston rings and exhaust guides. Bearings, journals, and P&C's all were in great condition after daily flogging multiple times up to 1.2 bar.

These engines are tough.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Tippy, was your 3.2 a G50 car or a 915? I've got a 915 and I would like to run up around 1 bar but I'm pretty sure I'll be tranny shopping in short order. I have no problem skill and equipment wise to drop the engine and tranny and do heads rings rod bolts and a reseal. Do the clutch while I am in there and maybe strengthen the 915 box. Still, it is still a weak link. After investing all the money to do that it will only be worth a bit more than it was before I added the turbo. I am on a budget and am still working for a living. So I am wondering if I should Cash out of the beautiful, good condition Targa I have and look for a G50 car with a few challenges body or engine wise. Then build what I like and not worry about degrading a nice car or loosing value as much. Like maybe a DE car that some poor soul made a money shift on, and doesn't want to do an engine. Perhaps a bad paint job or a rebuild title. I would really appreciate input from anyone, thinking about which way to go is taking up way to much of my limited mental resources.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Only problem is emission testing. I worried about doing turbocharging newer cars because I thought the vision visual inspection would pose problems. Actually wanted a 74 for this reason but couldn't find a good rust free example for a good price. I chose a supposed basket case engined 77 coupe which actually had a pretty ok engine in it.
If I had to do it again I think I'd still do it this way again except maybe look for wide body. Saving up and installing a 930 box or g50 is doable and the car is light. g50 cars are heavier and that means something to me.
I do like your frame of thought though, look for one needing engine work and you'll save some cash as most people with engine trouble are terrified of that. They let it go for cheep and that's exciting to me. I'm a cheep bastard. Then I build up with quality bits. My way of getting what I want.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
these build threads slay me

I want to turbocharge my 911!

I turbocharged my 911 and want more power!!

I turbocharged my 911 and now I'm terrified of the power!!!

I turbocharged my 911 I'm terrified of it and now I want to revert it to stock and sell it (*queue sadtrombone*)

sorry.. couldn't resist 8-)

I'm w/ Tippy btw ... or better yet... Chris. 930 boxes shift like 6 bags of ass! Sigh...

ps. sweet build... agreed, nice and clean - ENJOY IT!
No offense taken at all. I love a good ribbing and enjoy giving better than I get. I am not scarred at all. I am totally addicted and obsessed with achieving more power and higher performance. My two concerns are, economic and moral. I like to maintain or enhance the value of any car I own. Secondly, I really appreciate and respect these cars and although my Targa is nothing exceptional she is a head turning example of a solid and until I got her, an unmolested daily driver. I'd feel more than a bit guilty leaving her worse than I found her.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Tippy, was your 3.2 a G50 car or a 915? I've got a 915 and I would like to run up around 1 bar but I'm pretty sure I'll be tranny shopping in short order. I have no problem skill and equipment wise to drop the engine and tranny and do heads rings rod bolts and a reseal. Do the clutch while I am in there and maybe strengthen the 915 box. Still, it is still a weak link. After investing all the money to do that it will only be worth a bit more than it was before I added the turbo. I am on a budget and am still working for a living. So I am wondering if I should Cash out of the beautiful, good condition Targa I have and look for a G50 car with a few challenges body or engine wise. Then build what I like and not worry about degrading a nice car or loosing value as much. Like maybe a DE car that some poor soul made a money shift on, and doesn't want to do an engine. Perhaps a bad paint job or a rebuild title. I would really appreciate input from anyone, thinking about which way to go is taking up way to much of my limited mental resources.
G50. About to put the 993 diff cover on for insurance.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: