Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Non User

Garage
BTW, this is your trailing arm setup, notice the difference in spring plates (26) from the one above:
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I'm assuming this is the book you guys are talking about? A google search will bring it up:

http://www.2l7registry.com/doc/georacing.pdf

If there's something different please share thanks!
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car

Last edited by infraredcalvin; 03-09-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Thanks Pat.

It's actually an 88. That pic with the colored arrows was from the Pelican tech article, so that is why the adjuster wasnt pictured. The parts diagram you posted a few days ago that I quoted is exactly what I have.
I got the spring plates off, but the TB was stuck to the spring plate, so I rotated the inner splines one notch and lubed up the bushing (it didnt look bad at all) and put it back in and tightened it up. Same thing happened on both sides. Of course, moving it just one spline seems to be a little TOO low after I took it for a lap around the block to settle it in. The wheel well is seriously like 2" lower.

I couldn't get the spring plate separated from the TB. I also couldn't get the eccentric adjustment bolt loose that is on the later models like mine, so I'm not sure what to do now.

I'll post up pics in a minute.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Ahhh makes sense now, you shouldn't need to mess with the eccentrics then, but you'll have to get the cap off somehow. Wait for Paul to provide insight on how he got his caps removed by drilling??? Brace the cap with some sort of spacer then pound a punch in the hole to break the to loose???

BTW mine was stuck too, I kept spraying with pb blaster and kept wiggling, it eventually came loose, it was still in the car too, I kept rocking it and the bit of rust broke loose and the spring plate came off.
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 03-09-2014, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Here is the rear:

Here is the front: The front is about 1.75 inches higher than the rear at the moment. I still have some adjustment left in the fronts to go a little lower if necessary, but I think I want to get the rears up a little to even it out.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infraredcalvin View Post
Ahhh makes sense now, you shouldn't need to mess with the eccentrics then, but you'll have to get the cap off somehow. Wait for Paul to provide insight on how he got his caps removed by drilling??? Brace the cap with some sort of spacer then pound a punch in the hole to break the to loose???

BTW mine was stuck too, I kept spraying with pb blaster and kept wiggling, it eventually came loose, it was still in the car too, I kept rocking it and the bit of rust broke loose and the spring plate came off.
I guess I'll go get some PB Blaster tomorrow! I could wiggle the left side a little, but couln't get it to work it's way out even a little bit.

Paul - care to give some more details on drilling and punching? Maybe a couple pics for posterity? Can you replace those caps once drilled? I didn't see them as separate parts in the diagrams. How do you cover them back up?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Banned

If full quack/Mark sees that rear pic he'll tell you it's still not low enough!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Jeff,

Drill a small pilot hole in the TB end cap and then thread in a screw. The TB is just on the other side of the cap, so when you turn the screw, it will force the TB out of the spring plate. Did this the other day as both of mine were stuck also. Takes only a couple minutes, but you will need to caulk the small hole when you are done.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Jeff-

Defffffffffinitely too low 8-).

I tried the small hole / screw trick. Um, wasn't happening. Them caps are pressed in there TIGHT, least mine was.

Stopped screwing around (boooo!) and drilled a larger hole, inserted long wide flathead and pried that mofo out. Was NOT easy, meaning - no way it was coming out by pulling on a screw for me (tried it but just pulled screw out, even when threading against the bar and not pulling). Mine both were REALLY hard to pry / pop out.

I just got the drill in there best I could - it's @ a pretty good angle so I punched the center of the cap to get a good bite.

Once caps were off, I pushed the bushing / arm back in best I could. Then I fit a long / large Phillips head onto the TB end (it's got a depression there to get a bite on), and wacked them out w/ a 5lb sledge.

Again, bit of an odd angle, but a few swift wacks and the spring plate / arm drew outward as I wacked the bar inward. Got the 2nd one off in about 3min after the first one took probably 30.

I too didn't see the caps available... then I think I found them? Pelican Parts - Product Information: 911-331-107-01-OEM

The description is unfortunately not very clear, but based upon the diagram that 'seems' to be the part?

For ME... I didn't care much as I just ordered the adjustable spring plates for $325 shipped. Figured money well spent so will never have to deal w/ that clocking BS again. But I was hoping the caps were still available as I'm hoping to sell my OE bits.

Hope that helps...

ps. remember, you're going to need a bump-steer kit up front... I ran w/o one for a brief bit, kinda annoying and I think the odd geometry creates undue stresses or something on the other bits

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 03-10-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

So I ordered replacement bushings and a bump steer kit last night from our host. Should be here Thursday and I will pull them back off next weekend and attempt to dislodge the spring plate from the TB with a small screw hole as per a930pilot and then with a bigger punch hole if necessary as per Paul. I called Pelican and tried to add those dust covers to the order, but they won't get here by this weekend since they aren't in their warehouse, and they aren't returnable, so I will see what happens when I get the TB's out of the spring plate before ordering them.

Thanks all!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Consider these Jeff...

Porsche 911 Adj Spring Plates New Bushings Sway A Way | eBay

which bushings did you go with? Polybronze's not in the cards for me, but don't want to stay w/ the plastic ones that come w/ these...

good luck on the re-attempt!

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
As a matter of fact, I can't even tell that it was lowered....still looks like a Paris-to-Dakar style ride height :}

But being a lowlife tain't for everyone.

Mark
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Consider these Jeff...

Porsche 911 Adj Spring Plates New Bushings Sway A Way | eBay

which bushings did you go with? Polybronze's not in the cards for me, but don't want to stay w/ the plastic ones that come w/ these...

good luck on the re-attempt!
Thanks Paul.

I stuck with rubber bushings. I won't be on the track and they work fine for me as is, so I didn't see the point of upgrading.

Pelican Parts.com - Neatrix Bushings

I thought about getting the adjustable spring plates, but once I get it right, I won't be messing with it, so I'd rather spend that money on something like a Wevo short shift kit, or performance mods.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
As a matter of fact, I can't even tell that it was lowered....still looks like a Paris-to-Dakar style ride height :}

But being a lowlife tain't for everyone.

Mark
Here are a couple pics with the before/after. Look at the rear wheel well height compared to the rim. If the after is still similar to Paris-Dakar, what is your description of the original, stock ride height? LOL

Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
just an FYI Jeff, I'd emailed our host about those endcaps - seems the link I used here is not the part and they are... inexplicably... in fact... not sold separately.

_W_T_F_!?

I'd consider this a consumable like a front bearing cap or some such... unreal.

I'd imagine with some ingenuity, one could scrounge up 'something' to cover that piece... I'm sure there's a litany of rubber boots out there that could slip over it, clamp on, etc. Would just need to be creative...

Old 03-10-2014, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: