Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
Cause and effect. At that point then the IC was larger in capacity then the flow rate of the turbo. A higher flowing compressor section would have remedied that. Problem is change one thing drastically on a turbo car then the next bottle neck shows itself, balanced components is key. Did you traded up to the 930 from the M3? Or do you still have it?
I actually traded the M3 for a truck, then bought the project car. I have been 3+ years without a fun car to drive while I have been building the 930.

It's a sad day when my work van is the fastest thing I own.... although, 400HP and 800 lb/ft of torque is fun in a 4x4 van..
Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

The M3

The work van

How the 930 looks today
Old 05-28-2014, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

You'll get there... It's looking good though, great fab work, and I like the matte blue!
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

+1, and the cage.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

For 95% of us = no power difference, BUT they look GOOD!!! and BTW, I have an aftermarket one...
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
Banned

Hi Robby. I've followed this thread, though I have been errrr, ummmmm, unable to post in it, and thought I would now try to answer a some of your questions. I know that many people have answered some of them previously, but then get understandably frustrated by your responses, and give up, or just sling well-earned barbs (which you are an excellent sport about, BTW)!

First off, I know that the meds situation is no laughing matter. I've had to take the steroid, Prednisone, for long periods of time due to a chronic vision problem (haven't had any in almost three years, thankfully), and am familiar with how powerful drugs, or the lack of them, can do very strange things to one's mind!

I'm not going to try to address everything this minute, but one thing is that a primary reason to use an intercooler that is superior to the OEM one (most have been proven on dynos to be superior to it) is that you then have a better safeguard against detonation. This alone is worth the cost of admission and the added weight of the new/better intercooler.

For example, you mention that you have never heard of a 3lDZ turbo causing detonation (turbos are not the "cause" - but unchecked, increased boost pressure from a more powerful turbo can be a contributor), well I can assure you that 3ldz equipped engines detonate all the time when the owners increase boost pressure above stock levels and do not increase fueling and add additional/improved intercooling. It has been proven that the stock IC is not sufficient for above-stock boost levels and the risk of detonation goes up tremendously (especially with hot ambient temps). I think I recall you saying that you are currently running 1.1 bar with the OEM intercooler? If so, you are seriously asking for trouble.

PS - I hope I'm not offending you here, or appearing that I am "talking down" to you, as that is not my intent.

Last edited by Ronnie's.930; 05-29-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
For 95% of us = no power difference, BUT they look GOOD!!! and BTW, I have an aftermarket one...
Miguel, some intercoolers, such as the half bay Garretson, have been dyno proven to be good for about 25 whp over the stocker - even when that was the only change made.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
I knew there was something wrong with you Ronnie,,(joking)

Note to self
****Radiators from other cars wont work , Air must be thinner than water and it gets through the cracks ***
Old 06-06-2014, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
You live in Texas....Of course a Bigger Intercooler is needed!

Everything in Texas is bigger!!

You will find many post in the forum with comments on how much better their 930 drives on a cold, dry day. That is because you are getting cooler charge air into your engine. That is the same effect as having a more efficient Intercooler on a hot day. I would argue that if you live in a hot climate, a bigger IC is a good thing even without the other bolt on mods just to make your engine run better. Heat kills motors, and a 930 generates a lot of heat!

I drove my '87 930 as a daily driver when I lived in the DFW area. I remember the vast difference between August driving and February drivng. That is an average temp swing of 60-70 degrees over the year.

1986 930 Ultra-Smith RUF Slant Nose conversion, RUF VB, K-27 HF-S, B&B Headers and Exhaust, RUF Short Shifter, RUF Interior
Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
/\/\/\ perfect example of more power with intercooler. And cooler air is also safer as well.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyg View Post
I knew there was something wrong with you Ronnie,,(joking)
Kiss it, bub!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: