Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by klefroid View Post
So guy's,

I drove the car yesterday and with the clutch pedal to the floor in third gear and I was able to let it slip. But still the clutch isn't working.
I took a snapshot from the vid I made and there is something that isn't right.
Should the release bearing been sitting wrong? That's what I suspect but not sure.
There is nothing els that I can come up with...

Thanks guy's for helping me out (again).

It looks to me like the bearing is out and not in place behind the clutch fingers and is pulling on nothing. It's too close to the transmission -- too far forward on the guide tube with hardly any travel space left. Bummer.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
So it seems it was at the right place. To see the travel on the fork you need to see the vid I made. Because this picture is only a snapshot.
Engine is out again so I will take enough footage this time.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap930 View Post
Here is a picture of my Centerforce pressure plate with the throwout bearing in me on my '77 Turbo.g]http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads23/throwout+bearing1403540326.jpg[/img]

Yours looks like it is installed properly. I think you may have to remove the small lever on the bottom of the transmission and jump it one spline to get some more adjustment. How much of the adjustment bolt is protruding through the small lever? It should not be much. Just a thought. Also, Are you using all stock components? Some of the aftermarket disks are not the correct thickness.
It's an upgraded stock. It was in the car before so that should be fine. I had the small lever at the maximum. thanks for the picture to
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoker View Post
It looks to me like the bearing is out and not in place behind the clutch fingers and is pulling on nothing. It's too close to the transmission -- too far forward on the guide tube with hardly any travel space left. Bummer.
+1
That bevel retainer ring is supposed to be on the other side of the fingers.
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
After looking at your picture and looking at my removed throwout bearing, I believe your throwout bearing is not installed correctly. The throwout bearing is installed from the driven plate side of the pressure plate and the pressure plate fingers are captured by the throwout bearing groove. When you push the clutch petal down the pressure plate fingers are pulled towards the transmission. In order to install it as shown, you would have to slide the throwout bearing on the transmission guide tube prior to mating up the transmission. Normally the throwout bearing is held in place by the pressure plate so when you mate up the transmission, the guide tube engages the throwout bearing as the transmission seats with the engine. The thing that threw me off was the fact that you said you were able to get the clutch to slip.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Yeah when you bolt the pressure plate on you have to make sure the fingers get captured in that groove. It tries to fall out until the bolts are snugged up on the pressure plate.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Just took a couple pics of a used but good 930 throwout bearing I have.
It shows the groove the spring fingers go into well. The blurry low resoloution and glare on the picture the original poster has makes the bevel on the smaller flange a little more difficult to see.

The larger diameter flange is the one that pulls on the pressure plate spring fingers releasing clamping pressure on the disc as you press in the clutch pedal.
It still looks like his was installed correctly to me but there's too much grease on it.

Last edited by JFairman; 06-24-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Here's the resource that I used to install mine on my 964 Turbo: CLUTCH T/O BEARING INSTALL at LINDSEY RACING - Your Porsche Performance Parts Center
Maybe the 930 bearing is different.....
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
JFairman,

How did get the seal off the throwout bearing to clean and regrease it?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

It's been a while since I did it but there is a thin steel ring around the end that is in a groove. That ring holds it all together. I used a machinest scribe to pry the end of the ring out of the groove and lift it up and then I put a very small flat blade screwdriver under it to keep it from popping back into the groove.

Then I used the scribe and another small jewelers flat blade screwdriver to carefully and slowly pry the ring the rest of the way out all the way around until I could pull it off without bending or breaking it. If you're mechanically inclined you'll figure it out while looking at it and doing it.

Then the ring with the rubber seal comes off.
Then I soaked it in mineral spirits swiching it around every now and then to dissolve the old grease and I blew it out with 120psi compressed air. Then I sprayed brake clean in there and blew it out with compressed air until all the old grease was out and it was clean.
The t-shirt I was wearing at the time has never looked the same since...

I bought a grease needle at advance auto parts for about $3 that fit into the end of my little grease gun that was filled up with swepco moly grease. It looks like this one.

While the grease seal ring is off the throw out bearing you can see the ball bearings inside and insert the grease needle in between them and inject grease in there.

Then I put it back together.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
It was due to that little bit varnish spray. So the clutch was stuk ont the flywheel.
I'll never use that again! It was only to prevent corrosion while sitting outside but forgot to take it of first... Stupid I know
I need to take off the flywheel as wel, little leak there.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: