Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine is in but clutch not working !!!

Clutch is not working after putting the engine back in... I'm pretty sure that the fork was in the right place. This is a pain in the ass...
It feels good at the pedal but when I press the clutch pedal nothing happens!
I've try-ed to tighten it up but even then no luck! Why did Porsche made this so difficult.
Anyone any idea what this problem can be? Is there anything I can try before pulling out hte engine again!?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Probably I have to get the engine out again. May be my last shot. Those cars are assume but they are just not fun to keep them in a good working shape. I've been thinking of just selling the car and buy something els that give me more fun and less stress.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Few things are as frustrating as having to back up and redo something. It sure sounds like you did not line up your clutch release fingers properly with the throwout bearing.
It should be the first thing anyone reconnects/checks, before proceeding to reconnect everything else, just in case you have to rewind.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
This is one of the easiest cars to replace a clutch in. Engine comes out in less than two hours. in in the same. Clutch replaced in 35 minutes.
I had the same problem a couple years ago and it pissed me off too. Ended up being the release for out of place for me.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrorunner View Post
This is one of the easiest cars to replace a clutch in. Engine comes out in less than two hours. in in the same. Clutch replaced in 35 minutes.
I had the same problem a couple years ago and it pissed me off too. Ended up being the release for out of place for me.
It's strange that the fork got out of it's place because I am pretty sure it was in the right place. It is easy to take out the engine indeed but I'm just saying for the fork and clutch adjustment. I've seen more easy systems...

Thanks for your help guy's! knowing I was not the only one with this issue.
When I bought the car about 6 years ago it was in a very bad state. all original but it all had seen it's time. Now after all those years I was exited to finally get it all working proper but nope... A bad experience is also an experience so in the end I will know how not to do it or to double check.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
beancounter

sorry man...it is frustrating, but it also not very difficult to check if the release fork is properly engaged with the throwout bearing before plugging the engine/trans back into the chassis.

Sounds like you buggered it this time...look on the bright side. I bet you'll never do that again.

speaking of frustrating, I just had the pleasure of greasing my polybronze bushings again last night. The fronts are easy, but the rears are a pain in the @$$. One of the zirc fittings just refuses to accept grease, and the stuff just goos out all over the place. The parts work fine, but the maintenance is messy, and a pain. I'd not use them again were I to do it over.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I always check in the vent hole to make sure the forks are aligned correctly. I also grab the spline on the fork shaft and try rotating it. I have had the same issue myself. It's a real pain having to drop it all over again.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
speaking of frustrating, I just had the pleasure of greasing my polybronze bushings again last night. The fronts are easy, but the rears are a pain in the @$$. One of the zirc fittings just refuses to accept grease, and the stuff just goos out all over the place. The parts work fine, but the maintenance is messy, and a pain. I'd not use them again were I to do it over.
If the springplate polybronze bushing grease fittings are in the right positions there is a type of fitting for a grease gun that makes them really easy to grease without any grease leaking past the side of the grease fitting anywhere.
I got one at harbor freight and put it on a $9 one handed grease gun I also got there and it works great every time.
I can't describe it other than you pull back on a ring and you can turn the end of the grease fitting thing on the end 360 degrees at any angle possible, and when you release the ring it locks in place.
I have a couple pictures of it somewhere. If I can find the folder they are in I'll post it.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Dude it just happened to me... but I was lucky caught it before install
it happened to me last year in and out 3 times swore it was lined up , you do learn from mistakes .

Kozmo
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Going backwards in the final steps of any big project is miserable. This should make you feel better:

I was completing an engine swap which had taken 4 days solid of 10-11hr days. I had two things left, a distributor bolt and the bellhousing plug (VW 16V). I fumbled the bolt and down into the transmission it went. LeBron James couldn't have hit that shot. Had to partially drop the motor and pulls the trans....yeah. From that point further I never removed that plug unless I was timing the car.

We are with ya man.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I found the harbor freight grease gun pics I was talking about above.
The tip rotates around and locks in place when you release the pull back ring.
There are other positions it will lock into in between straight or 90 degrees like in these two pics.
It's a well made grease gun and it works perfect for doing this with one hand. The whole thing was about $12.
I use a soup spoon to put swepco grease into it from a larger tube of grease than the smaller tubes that fit in this grease gun.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Ok guy's,

I checked the fork which is in perfect place! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGs_l8WwdhY
I do know what causes this issue I think.
When I installed the flywheel I notice that it was oxidation because it was outside.
So Ive used a little bit varnish spray!
Damn that was stupid because now my clutch plate sticks to the flywheel... and it's not coming off whatever I do. I did not try to drive the car. Maybe there is a possibility that it pops of the flywheel.... never taught varnish could stick so hard!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Yeah drive it. Push the pedal in and start it and see if it pops loose when you try and start it. Make sure no one is in front of you
Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
So guy's,

I drove the car yesterday and with the clutch pedal to the floor in third gear and I was able to let it slip. But still the clutch isn't working.
I took a snapshot from the vid I made and there is something that isn't right.
Should the release bearing been sitting wrong? That's what I suspect but not sure.
There is nothing els that I can come up with...

Thanks guy's for helping me out (again).

Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That looks like a lot of moly grease slinging out of your throwout bearing. If it gets on the pressure plate and disc it's going to slip all the time.

You can take apart the throwout bearing and clean out the old grease with solvent and then inject moly grease in between the ball bearings with a grease needle on a grease gun but get too much in there and it will fly out from centrifical force like it looks like that one has done.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a picture of my Centerforce pressure plate with the throwout bearing in place on my '77 Turbo.

Yours looks like it is installed properly. I think you may have to remove the small lever on the bottom of the transmission and jump it one spline to get some more adjustment. How much of the adjustment bolt is protruding through the small lever? It should not be much. Just a thought. Also, Are you using all stock components? Some of the aftermarket disks are not the correct thickness.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Metal Guru

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo930 View Post
it happened to me last year in and out 3 times swore it was lined up , you do learn from mistakes
I've had my powertrain in and out 4 times in the last year and one half; turns out two drops were unnecessary.
Once you have the clutch issue fixed and the car running, the pain will subside
Port matched, SC cams, K27/K29 turbo, Roush Performance custom headers w/Tial MV-S dual wastegates, Rarlyl8 muffler, LWFW, GT2 clutch & PP, BL wur, factory RS shifter, RS mounts, FVD timing mod, Big Reds, - 210 lb
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the reply's, but still looking for my aswer...
I been searching for what can be the issue of my clutch problem.
I'm trying to make it clear with onother picture because sometimes my english is just not good enough to explain my question....

So there are 3 arrows. I have set the bearing in place shown by the red arrow. I think this was not right. I had to loosen the bolds of the pressure plate to get the throw out bearing in place and tighten it up again. Is this wrong? please say yes!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

The widest part thats behind the blue arrow pulls on the fingers of the pressure plate spring.
Looks like thats how it's in there in your first pic.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
If I recall correctly, once it is installed, it is captive in the pressure plate fingers, and has to be held in the proper relationship as you snug up the ePP bolts. It sort of clicked in and couldn't fall down towards the flywheel.

These pics probably don't help but it's all I have from my first drop:

Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: