Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Intro - New 930

Hello,

I've been following the Turbo forums for some time and thought it's time to start a new thread and introduce myself.

A few months ago I bought a 930 which sat outside for almost 6 years.
The PO died from a heart attack and his wife never touched the car.
I went to see it for a friend, who thought it was too much of a project so he gave me the deal. I wasn't really looking for one, but this one needed to be saved.

It's an 86 with 53K miles, it looks pretty much stock, and it's been beaten by 6 years of Houston heat and humidity.

Here are some pics from the day I saw it. It was raining which made the paint look better than it really is.

It must have been under a tarp for some time.

And the engine bay looked pretty bad.

When I got it, I started with the gas tank, which still had the 6yr old gas in it, so it was all moldy and rusty. The inlet and outlet ports were completely clogged from the rust.
The front fuel pump was seized. I started renovating the tank with lots of pressure washing, electrolysis, and got it back to pretty much usable but then found another tank in better shape so I used the other one.
Next was flushing all the fuel, changing the fuel filter, changing the injectors.
I changed the oil which didn't look too bad.
While cleaning the engine bay, I found a dead mouse & nest near the air pump.
I removed the alternator and cleaned the top of the cylinders, where a lot of leaves had accumulated over the years.
I removed the AC which was already disconnected by the previous owner.
I'm in Texas but I still prefer an a nice clean engine bay. We fix our cars in summer here and drive them the other seasons, or as a friend just said, when you're too hot just stop in a mall.

So finally after a few months of spending a few hours on the car here and there, I finally started it. The car ran pretty good, smooth idle, a little bit of smoke at first which went away after a few minutes.
Then I tried to drive it, and after maybe half a mile, a very heavy smoke started to come out of the exhaust. So much smoke my friend who was following me had to stop he could not see where I was in front of him.
So I went back home. Then we started the car 15 minutes later and the smoke was gone.
Then I drove it again, and same thing, after half a mile, the heavy smoke came back, but it seemed like it smoked less.

I'm guessing it's coming from the turbo, if it was rings or valve guides it would smoke all the time.
Or maybe it's just oil that sat in the exhaust and starts to burn only when the cat gets hot ?
FWIW, the smoke was coming mostly from only one of the exhaust ports (left one IIRC), which does not make much sense to me, but maybe someone will have a clue ?

I already have a race car (76 Carrera 3.0 PCA E-class), a stock street car with AC (95 993) so the plan for the turbo is a fun car somewhere in between the 2.
I don't plan to modify it too much, but there's enough pristine 930s for the museums, and with the current paint mine won't qualify as a pristine car anymore anyway.
So in the short term, I see :
- Engine drop, to clean the engine bay some more, change some seals, change the fuel lines in the tunnel, change the dead oil pressure sender (!).
- A set of headers from Brian, probably with heat.
- A new turbo. I was planning on a mild K27 7200, but just bought Jim Fairman's 7006.
- Maybe send my fuel head for a rebuild and maybe some mods.

In the longer term, I see a long neck intercooler to clean up the engine bay some more, and maybe some mild suspension tuneup depending on how the stock one feels.

Coming from the NA world, I knew a turbo would be more expensive, and when you start adding the cost of headers, turbo, intercoolers, I realized things really add up quickly.
But it should be fun :-)

I'll probably have tons of questions, all this turbo stuff is new to me.

-Guillaume
Old 07-05-2014, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow, all the pictures are rotated, but they're fine on my computer ! Sorry for that... Not sure how I can get then straight.

Well, this thread needed pictures and it's still better than no picture !
Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Welcome, great to see a 930 get put back on the road and actually driven.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 07-05-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I've gone native

Nice project.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Good job bringing her back from the dead. Welcome!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'71 914 track car
Old 07-05-2014, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nice that you got it running, i would think the WUR screen would have clogged up with a six year sit like that.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome. GL getting your new toy sorted out. Use the folks in this forum for answers. There are a lot of very knowledgable turbo people here.

The 930 is a seriously nice car when running right
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice find!
95 M3 Red, 97 540I 6-spd Black
98 Landcruiser, 01 Rav4 (Wife's)
Old 07-05-2014, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wow, nice story and it's cool to see where the 7006 is going
The car looks in pretty good shape for being left sitting outdoors as long as it has.
USPS tracking says you should get your turbo monday.

When you install it be sure to squirt some motor oil into the oil feed hole in the bearing housing before bolting the oil feed line on with a new gasket. You may know it already but don't use any gasket sealer on that gasket. You don't want to chance any gasket sealer getting into the journal bearings in the turbo.

Then remove the fuel pump relays and spin the motor on the starter motor for about 20 - 30 seconds after you see oil pressure build on the gauge to get fresh motor oil pumped all through the bearing housing before you start it the first time.
That may run the battery down some so if it starts cranking slowly have a battery charger ready.
Then put the fuel pump relays back in and start it.

When I was reading that your car starts smoking after running 15 minutes I was wondering what the oil level is when the motor and oil temperature gets up to operating temperature. The oil seems to expand as it gets hot and it reads higher on the dipstick and oil level gauge after the motor is fully warmed up.

I saved and rotated your pictures so they're easier to look at.
Looks like a good project car, good luck with it!

Last edited by JFairman; 07-06-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Guillaume - welcome!
Thank you for posting the pictures and for saving a beautiful car!
Cheers,
Iain
Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

Awesome! I can't wait to get mine home and start posting a similarly frightening rehab. Good work.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Welcome and sweet project
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the kind words !

Thanks Jim for rotating the pictures. It's funny if I look at this thread from my iphone the pictures are all straight.

The oil level was actually really low, barely registering on the dipstick, as it was just after the oil change and I tend to fill one quart low until I can check it when the engine is warm.

I removed the muffler and cat this weekend. The old rusty bolts were not fun, I had to use the dremel to cut 2 of them.

The hot side on the 3LDZ was pretty black from carbon buildup, but not really oily as I would have expected if the turbo was leaking oil.
I haven't looked at the cold side yet but the charge pipe was pretty dry.

Should I expect to see oil if the turbo was leaking on the hot side ? Or would it be blown by the exhaust gases and burn anyway ?

The 6-yr old spark plugs were all pretty black, more than normal, the greasy kind of black, all of them, so maybe the turbo was also leaking a bit on the cold side ?

The turbo is still in the car with the 2 oil lines connected. Do I have to remove the drip tank (stock one) to get it out ?

Another question regarding the turbo oil pump. Do these sometimes fail ? Is it possible that the oil pressure was building up in the turbo causing it to leak after a couple minutes ?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome and good luck with your new project!

Rahl
Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Good luck with your 930, if you get tired of messing with it let me know I'm always looking for a new project.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
What an awesome find. If you would like photos of what the car will look like when it is done I can send you some pics of mine ha ha, I have the exact car. Good luck with the project and enjoy it, it will be over before you know it and you will have to find the next one.

Rick
86 930
88 951

Last edited by hobie911; 07-09-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabasco View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind words !

Thanks Jim for rotating the pictures. It's funny if I look at this thread from my iphone the pictures are all straight.

The oil level was actually really low, barely registering on the dipstick, as it was just after the oil change and I tend to fill one quart low until I can check it when the engine is warm.

I removed the muffler and cat this weekend. The old rusty bolts were not fun, I had to use the dremel to cut 2 of them.

The hot side on the 3LDZ was pretty black from carbon buildup, but not really oily as I would have expected if the turbo was leaking oil.
I haven't looked at the cold side yet but the charge pipe was pretty dry.

Should I expect to see oil if the turbo was leaking on the hot side ? Or would it be blown by the exhaust gases and burn anyway ?

The 6-yr old spark plugs were all pretty black, more than normal, the greasy kind of black, all of them, so maybe the turbo was also leaking a bit on the cold side ?

The turbo is still in the car with the 2 oil lines connected. Do I have to remove the drip tank (stock one) to get it out ?

Another question regarding the turbo oil pump. Do these sometimes fail ? Is it possible that the oil pressure was building up in the turbo causing it to leak after a couple minutes ?
The turbo oil pumps or scavenge pumps are pretty strong. I would change the seals because if they leak inside (shaft seal) then they might not work or not enough and might cause your issue.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: