Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacing a Turbo

I have an 1988 911 with a bad turbo. Would you please direct me regarding instructions on how to replace this?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

remove the muffler
remove the turbo

i take my bumper off. one of the muffler bolts may be VERY hard to get to. i have also made it easier to take my bumper off.
there are 2 oil lines and 4 bolts on the turbo.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-26-2014, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
As desrcribed.
You need to remove rear bumper to get easy access.

Remove intercooler and downpipe.
You will have to remove oil drip tank and oil feeder line in top of turbo cartridge.
remove the exhaust and bracket.
The turbo is held by 4 bolts on the T3 flange of the exhaust.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 09-26-2014, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I do not remove the rear bumper to R&R a turbo.
> Remove valance and heat shield.
> Remove muffler.
> Remove intercooler.
> Unbolt upper and lower oil line.
> Loosen turbo bracket bolts.
> Remove oil catch can.
> Remove turbo and bracket.
> Installation is opposite of removal. Be sure to prime the turbo.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
PorscheMoparLiterbike

Personal preference with the bumper.

For me just easier to access top oil feed and tighten bolts/nuts properly. also usually start it up with bumper off to check for leaks other issues.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If you have a lift no need to remove bumper just valance and heat shield. If doing it on the ground remove bumper so you don't have to work on your back the whole time like a younger you. Be careful lots of debris in there that will fall in your eyes. I removed the bumper so I could clean everything nicely while doing the job.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilonly View Post
If you have a lift no need to remove bumper just valance and heat shield. If doing it on the ground remove bumper so you don't have to work on your back the whole time like a younger you. Be careful lots of debris in there that will fall in your eyes. I removed the bumper so I could clean everything nicely while doing the job.
+1, but age is relative to the condition of your body. 61 in another couple of months and I will be laboring away at yanking out a crispy BBQ'd drive train. Probably be crippled by then or a bad case of COPD from inhaling all the soot $hitt.

We're talking like 6 or 8 screws to remove the valence and gain all the access a person needs.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I always take the bumper off with the valance and tag on it. It's very quick and easy to do and the ugly USA bumperettes are long gone on mine so that makes it easier.
I have different license plate lights and I put spade terminals on my home made wire harness behind the bumper for them.
You can sit on the ground behind the car and reach everything easily when there's no bumper on the car.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mr. Gimpy, your 61 !!!

I've got shoes in my closet older than that.

I'm 71 and just pulled and replaced a turbo a week ago.
This week I've been hanging 93 feet on new gutter and 7
14 foot down spouts. Still have 210 feet of roof heat tape
to install and wire before the cold weather gets here.

Great to see your back !!!!! Hope your loving the new 930
and we have all missed your sick humor, Don't be a stranger.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Mr. Gimpy, your 61 !!!

I've got shoes in my closet older than that.

I'm 71 and just pulled and replaced a turbo a week ago.
This week I've been hanging 93 feet on new gutter and 7
14 foot down spouts. Still have 210 feet of roof heat tape
to install and wire before the cold weather gets here.

Great to see your back !!!!! Hope your loving the new 930
and we have all missed your sick humor, Don't be a stranger.

Cole
Dammit Cole, I had a mouthfull of Shiraz and laughed it all over my 'puter screen. Shoes that old have got dry rot by now, all curled up at the toes like Munchkin shoes. Besides, nobody wears Oxfords or Wingtips any more.

Like I said, age is relative. Apparently you haven't aged one bit!

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: